Veloster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my 2013 veloster NA has been making this pretty loud almost knocking noise, it’s a lot louder when it’s cold but it’s too the point where I don’t know if it’s harmful to the motor or if anyone else has had this problem. I have a video of the noise but not sure how to upload it here

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have you not yet secured a new PCV valve and replaced the one on your engine? What you're now referencing may be an additional symptom of you existing problem. Like I said earlier, you should probably start looking for another car, and I still maintain that you appear to be way over your head in dealing with the problems you are having with this car. Sorry, I don't want to appear to be over critical, but what is: is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I located a new pcv valve Thursday and replaced it. The old one still made a noise when shaking but I did see some sludge on it so I went ahead and replaced that plus a new air filter.

·
weekend racer
7,661 Posts
upload the video to youtube and link here.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yep, I would say running it at times with only a little oil has damaged the engine and that knock is evidence of the damage.
Like I said.
Start looking for a new car.
Your Veloster is toast.
Sorry buddy, I know this isn't something you want to hear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a bit late to the game here, however I am in Toronto Canada; my Veloster has about 140,000KM; original owner; Dealer Scheduled maintenance done on the dime. I started to hear this same noise; took it into the StealerShip.

- First visit; they charged me 500+ to diagnose; they came back to me with a faulty Ignition Coil; they required 600+ for parts and labor; so I decided to swap myself; Not knowing these fools decided to take a good ignition cold and leave it where the bad one was located; so I went in circles on the second visit. Then they "forgot" to tell me on what they did.

- Second Visit; Stealership said; OK we will charge you 250 this time; their diagnosis; New Engine.

I have a major issue with everything above however I asked the service manager flat out; you are telling me Velosters or Hyundai's are only good for 150000 KM max? His response; have you noticed our warranty offer? "most people do not own a car for more than 5 years"; tell that to my father who has a 69 Camaro and a 56 Ford.

Bottom line is I need a new engine; I think this is something Hyundai should be held accountable for; every car manufacturer has issues but for a car an engine to be replaced this soon? Now way this fair on the consumer; I will never own a Hyundai every again, and I will away **** talk the brand.

·
weekend racer
7,661 Posts
you get the oil changed at the dealer so they are probably using the correct filter and oil. what other maintenance do they do?

in the US you would be around 86K miles and engine would still be under warranty. not sure what the canadian warranty is. may want to try another dealer as it sounds like your service writer doesn't give a **** about you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate the response @ RPW00Mirage; as for the service advisor; there is a group of just in Ontario with the exact same issue; Mileage about the same; All the guys have gone to different dealerships; same response. In Canada, the warranty is 100,000 Km > 62,000 Miles; like i said; I know cars, I have had, Honds, Volvos, VW'dubs... mustangs, .. nothing every like this POS;

As far as maintenance, I have had pullies, coils and wires, changed, fluids, (oil) very regular; oil specs as per manufacture; the bottom line is they are claiming this is a wear and tear situation; however I'm not buy that;

AND! I have literally granny driven this car; so Zero abuse; plus with 12 other guys I have spoken to; it is far too coincidental.

·
weekend racer
7,661 Posts
my personal experience with both my non turbo and turbo is they like to be ridden hard and put away wet.

you're getting close to the plug change interval. i would recommend the ngk iridiums which come in the car.

what are your oil change intervals? any chance you can verify the oil grade?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts