Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!!! My daughter called me and said her car broke down. Trailered it home because I thought it had jumped timing. DTC codes that pulled up were P0014,P0301, P0304, P0011, P0303, and P0420. Upon inspection both CVVT Oil Control valves screens where pretty stopped up. Cleaned, checked coil resistance which is in specs, and replaced the existing ones. Checked spark plugs and on one cylinder the plug was melted, changed all 4 plugs, crunk the car and nothing changed. Checked all coil packs by sticking a plug in it and grounding it out and every one fires. On a hunch I pulled the wires off the coil pack of the cylinder that had melted the plug, no change in engine rough idle. Pulled wire off a different coil pack and drastic change in idle, almost shut off before I could plug it back up. The cylinder that had the melted plug is getting fuel , but upon further inspection one of the two intake valves on that cylinder is white where every other intake valve in the head is black and covered with deposits. Could it be a burnt valve? Or could the timing have jumped? Any ideas???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Please help!!! My daughter called me and said her car broke down. It’s a 2012 N/A 1.6L
image.jpg Trailered it home because I thought it had jumped timing. DTC codes that pulled up were P0014,P0301, P0304, P0011, P0303, and P0420. Upon inspection both CVVT Oil Control valves screens where pretty stopped up. Cleaned, checked coil resistance which is in specs, and replaced the existing ones. Checked spark plugs and on one cylinder the plug was melted, changed all 4 plugs, crunk the car and nothing changed. Checked all coil packs by sticking a plug in it and grounding it out and every one fires. On a hunch I pulled the wires off the coil pack of the cylinder that had melted the plug, no change in engine rough idle. Pulled wire off a different coil pack and drastic change in idle, almost shut off before I could plug it back up. The cylinder that had the melted plug is getting fuel , but upon further inspection one of the two intake valves on that cylinder is white where every other intake valve in the head is black and covered with deposits. Could it be a burnt valve? Or could the timing have jumped? Any ideas???
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car has 130k on it. I took them out, cleaned them, checked the resistance across the coil inside both intake and exhaust OCV’s. Applied 12V DC power to terminal #2, and both seemed to be working fine. I didn’t however change CMPS, butI checked the resistance between the two sides of the coil in each one, and they were in spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Actually I take that back I don’t have a GDS to measure waveform on the CMPS, that’s why I haven’t changed them. On the OCVs
023DC3A0-8A0C-4472-9172-EA9C6D8B5826.png

I have checked each injector, I have checked the VIS, the PCVS, the PCV valve which is bad I think because I poured a half of quart of oil out of the intake manifold. The intake valves are so gummed up I’m surprised that the damn thing ran at all. I will clean them. I’m thinking that the one valve that is white isn’t seating properly therefore causing combustion to blow by it. I’m going to go get a cylinder compression tester and see what kind of compression it is getting, then I guess I’m going to pull the valve cover off and then probably the head. I’m at a loss, bamboozeled, confused, and getting very irritated!!! I have too much other things to be doing (like sleep) than coming home from a 12-14hr day at work and then working on her car till 2am

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please help!!! My daughter called me and said her car broke down. Trailered it home because I thought it had jumped timing. DTC codes that pulled up were P0014,P0301, P0304, P0011, P0303, and P0420. Upon inspection both CVVT Oil Control valves screens where pretty stopped up. Cleaned, checked coil resistance which is in specs, and replaced the existing ones. Checked spark plugs and on one cylinder the plug was melted, changed all 4 plugs, crunk the car and nothing changed. Checked all coil packs by sticking a plug in it and grounding it out and every one fires. On a hunch I pulled the wires off the coil pack of the cylinder that had melted the plug, no change in engine rough idle. Pulled wire off a different coil pack and drastic change in idle, almost shut off before I could plug it back up. The cylinder that had the melted plug is getting fuel , but upon further inspection one of the two intake valves on that cylinder is white where every other intake valve in the head is black and covered with deposits. Could it be a burnt valve? Or could the timing have jumped? Any ideas???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like the that cylinder ran lean for quite awhile and it’s also seems there is a severe lack of proper maintenance with that GDI engine. So it’s looks like you need to replace or get all of your injectors cleaned. Removed from the head and sent out to get cleaning. After the head is off inspections of all the cylinder walls if they are scored? You will need to re-sleeve or replace the block. It’s not recommended to bore over aluminum cylinder bores. Yes, you will need to rebuild or replace your engine. The vvt solenoids needs replacement don’t attempt to clean and reuse with that (130,000+)many miles on them. There is no easy solution once your GDI eng has those problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts