Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the low beam plug for the 2012 seems to melt often and short out. Has ANYONE found a replacement part yet, or is the only option top but the $500 assembly?

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
which side of the plug, the light side or harness side?

you may be able to find a headlamp assembly in a junkyard, or ebay for cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forget getting another assembly, why not just give this a go? I had mine short and melt, I feared I would have to get a whole other assembly, especially since there are no street lights where I live.

I was able to buy an Dorman 84717 H7 Bulb socket, some posi-twist wire connectors, and an H7 adapter for Xenon Conversions.

Unplug headlight power socket for safety. Take the old low beam connector and cut it off. Splice the cables on the headlight and on the new Dorman socket, jointhem to their corresponding color with the posi-twist connectors (make sure they're nice and tight, tug on them to ensure they stay put. If you're unsure lookup youtube tutorials on posi-twist), set in the bulb so it's nice and tight, I had to pry the contacts just a bit to get the bulb to settle in nicely. Place the socket into the adapter, you should get a good idea for how it kind of "clips" in. Now just put it into your assembly, place the dust cap, and reconnect the power.

Here are some photos of when I did it:
Before:
20190714_174158.jpg

After

Saved me a lot of time and a lot of money! Good luck!

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
very nice metromule! i would go one step further with solder and shrink tube on the wires, or atleast tape them to keep water out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forget getting another assembly, why not just give this a go? I had mine short and melt, I feared I would have to get a whole other assembly, especially since there are no street lights where I live.

I was able to buy an Dorman 84717 H7 Bulb socket, some posi-twist wire connectors, and an H7 adapter for Xenon Conversions.

Unplug headlight power socket for safety. Take the old low beam connector and cut it off. Splice the cables on the headlight and on the new Dorman socket, jointhem to their corresponding color with the posi-twist connectors (make sure they're nice and tight, tug on them to ensure they stay put. If you're unsure lookup youtube tutorials on posi-twist), set in the bulb so it's nice and tight, I had to pry the contacts just a bit to get the bulb to settle in nicely. Place the socket into the adapter, you should get a good idea for how it kind of "clips" in. Now just put it into your assembly, place the dust cap, and reconnect the power.

Here are some photos of when I did it:
Before:
View attachment 131895
View attachment 131898

After
View attachment 131896
View attachment 131897

Saved me a lot of time and a lot of money! Good luck!
Looks really good - I want to make sure those parts would work - I've got the standard headlights that were on the 2012 - not the hi intensity one they put on later. So the part with the wires will slide into the hollowed out part? Is it a tight fit or do you have to modify it? I understand the wiring - that's not the problem - I'll have to have someone do it as my hands are too large to work in that area. So a $10 fix will save about $500 dollars -- AWESOME

·
Registered
15 Posts
The adapter will slide over the h7 bulb adapter and should fit like a glove.

If your hands are too big, you could always remove the headlight and work on it inside the house but that would involve removing the front bumper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
MetroMule
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing