Veloster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is very disheartening to keep seeing all of the Hyundai engine recalls that also affect the Velosters. My 2014 Reflex had the rod-bearing recall issues, and I love my car, and after the engine failure in early 2021, I pushed the Dealer/Corporate hard (after a failure on the expressway in June after months of the lagging-rattle issues) and did get a new engine replacement in July 2021 (after being without the car for just over 30-days waiting for the replacement). Considering personal expenses (2-kids in College), having paid off the car in 2020 (6 year plan), and not wanting to get into another car note/expense issues with new-used vehicles at the moment (post-pandemic), I opted to not buy a new car/trade in, and fought for the replacement motor. I don't expect this engine to last forever, but I got 7-good years out of the engine and hope to get another 6-7 years out of the new motor before giving up the ghost (and going back to a light truck then like I used to drive before the Veloster.

In scanning motor news over the weekend, I now see that 2nd gen Velosters/2.0 motors are also in recall mode now and this time for the piston ring issue. It is a shame and starting to realize that while Hyundai is a great value, and their car designs like the Veloster are great looking cars, they have skimped on the issue of engine technology and you are getting poorly designed engines that are prone to failure because of design and/or manufacturing defects (engine shavings in the block with the 1st gen models and now the piston ring issues with the 2nd gen). Car runs like a dream with the new engine, and great gas mileage, but I will never buy another Hyundai. Veloster is a fantastic looking car, and I am keeping mine until it runs out again, but would not buy another one given these ongoing engine problems. Have attached a current pic of mine this am outside the Office. Good luck to anyone having the same issues/problems.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Turbo 6MT
88 Posts

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
everyone is doing it... with the success of the ioniq and current hybrids it was only a matter of time.

·
Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo.
2 Posts
In 2019 I threw a rod through the engine and oil pan onto the road. Only mod on the car was a K&N reusable filter. $500 deductible for a new engine, dealer installed, under warranty. :) On the EV side I will say this. My other car is a Kia Niro EV EX Premium... Its acceleration is quicker than my Veloster and its actually REALLY fun to drive (but it doesn't handle as well) I wish I had the Niro's EV setup with my Veloster suspension and styling. My veloster is likely my last ICE car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts