Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've filled up my Veloster about 6 or 7 times since I purchased it and all but one time when the gas pump shuts off, it shoots gas back out of the car...a good bit. This has happened at multiple different gas stations, so I know it's not the pump. I called the dealership who suggested I see if I can reseat the gas nozzle, as it may just not have been sat in there properly. The gas nozzle doesn't quite go in as far as it has on every other car I've ever had (impossible with the way the fender is shaped), but I've tried reseating it every which way and it doesn't fit any better...except for when the pump is completely sideways and then it still shoots gas back out. I've filled many different cars with gas over the past 13 years, I find it hard to believe it's something I'm doing wrong. I had it at the dealership once for this only for them to tell me they see no visual obstructions and to bring it back with less than 1/4 tank, which I'm doing this Saturday. My question is, has anyone else had this issue? I've read online that some people said it is a little finicky with how the gas nozzle has to be situated, but this is a bit ridiculous and I'm tired of having to wash my car every single time I get gas. :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've filled up my Veloster about 6 or 7 times since I purchased it and all but one time when the gas pump shuts off, it shoots gas back out of the car...a good bit. This has happened at multiple different gas stations, so I know it's not the pump. I called the dealership who suggested I see if I can reseat the gas nozzle, as it may just not have been sat in there properly. The gas nozzle doesn't quite go in as far as it has on every other car I've ever had (impossible with the way the fender is shaped), but I've tried reseating it every which way and it doesn't fit any better...except for when the pump is completely sideways and then it still shoots gas back out. I've filled many different cars with gas over the past 13 years, I find it hard to believe it's something I'm doing wrong. I had it at the dealership once for this only for them to tell me they see no visual obstructions and to bring it back with less than 1/4 tank, which I'm doing this Saturday. My question is, has anyone else had this issue? I've read online that some people said it is a little finicky with how the gas nozzle has to be situated, but this is a bit ridiculous and I'm tired of having to wash my car every single time I get gas. :(
I have the exact same problem. i thought it was just me

·
Registered
127 Posts
A coupw of times in a year and 1/2. You can hear it start gurgling towards the end and I slow it down and it doesn't blow out.

Sent in comfort from the front seat of my 2012 Boston Red Velostor. Loving life!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership couldn't find anything not working properly or any kind of obstruction, so they are ordering a new fuel neck (forget the exact name...the part that goes from where you stick the pump in all the way to the gas tank) in case it is shaped incorrectly. Hopefully that will solve it. I'm just glad they are willing to do something about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never had it shoot gas back out at me. But I do get some gas leaking if I try to top it off. So now when it shuts off I just leave it say tank is "FULL"

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Soon to be two years, this has not happened to me - fills up just like any other car. I never go to the gas station unless it is to fill it up and I never "top it off".

·
Registered
77 Posts
The typical gas station nozzle just doesn't fit well, so I set it to fill at the slowest notch and quit when it first shuts off. NBD in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never "top it off"...never have on any of my cars. I stop when it clicks off the first time. It's not operator error.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Interesting....I hadn't heard of this happening and hasn't happened to mine (owned for almost 16 months now).

Sounds like it isn't your fault and might just be the piece they are replacing. I hope this gets figured out for you soon, keep us updated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yep, I found problems when trying to fill mine also.

I learned that if I rotate the gas fill handle/nozzle to the 2-o'clock position everything works great and the gas tank fills to the top.

A little bit of an imposition but, what the heck.

No gas spilling on the paint and you'll see there is no drain hole in the gas cap compartment - so if gas spills there it will eventually eat the paint away.

A little prudence is a positive attribute in this case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents, I have had mine spray back a couple of times when the pump shuts off the first time. I try to catch it just before it gets to that point, but it doesn't always spray back. I have never had an issue if I try to add a few more drops after first shut off.

I have also found that there are some pumps that refuse to flow fuel depending on the angle that the nozzle is in the filler. It seems like the shape isn't the best, but for the most part, just moving the nozzle to one side or the other overcomes the issue.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Okay -- it's time to name who you get gas from and where this has happened. Maybe it's the fuel provider and not the car. I've had no such incident and I have used three gas brands, all regular:

Mobil - used 85 percent of the time
Shell - used 12 percent of the time
Hess - used 3 percent of the time

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay -- it's time to name who you get gas from and where this has happened. Maybe it's the fuel provider and not the car. I've had no such incident and I have used three gas brands, all regular:

Mobil - used 85 percent of the time
Shell - used 12 percent of the time
Hess - used 3 percent of the time

Still waiting to get the part replaced by Hyundai (they don't give loaners and my schedule is crazy) but...I've tried at several different gas stations. It's been to two different Turkey Hill stations and a Giant station (not sure what gas they use) and also a Sunoco. I've just been not filling it the whole way now until I get the part replaced.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Still waiting to get the part replaced by Hyundai (they don't give loaners and my schedule is crazy) but...I've tried at several different gas stations. It's been to two different Turkey Hill stations and a Giant station (not sure what gas they use) and also a Sunoco. I've just been not filling it the whole way now until I get the part replaced.
I know this seems simple, but....after the tank is filled wait 5 seconds before extracting the nozzle. The fuel is bubbling up quite a bit during the filling. The 5 second wait lets the bubbles subside and you should be able to remove the nozzle without some kind of an eruption.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd be complaining to every station I go to about every pump I use. It's the car, no question about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Something wierd going on with the fill neck of your tank I would suspect, so replacement should resolve the issue. I used to top off since the tank would take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 gals. more after initial auto pump shut off. Was warned that I could be doing damage to the charcoal cannister so my habit now, when pump clicks off I add one more gallon then stop. I will get gas kick back when doing this if not careful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts