Veloster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I've been a member for a few years but never really posted anything. Just thought I would share my situation and see if anyone else has had anything similar happen with their Veloster.

I bought my 2015 base Veloster from a dealership in March or April of 2016. It had 3k miles on it as it was a service loaner, but my paperwork says it was sold to me as new.

About 1000 miles into ownership, I noticed performance related issues. I brought it in and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Another 1000 or so miles and I brought it in since I had white smoke coming from the exhaust and it was struggling to maintain highway speeds. The said they found a bad seal and replaced it.

All was good for a few months until it happened again. Nothing found to be wrong with it, so they did an oil change.

April 2017 rolls around and again, white smoke from the exhaust. Bring it in with a check engine light on and it was coding for the main cat. They replace the cat and send me on my way.

All is good for a little over a year when again, white smoke from exhaust and the car stalls out. At this point I have 32k Miles on my baby and I am unable to start the engine. After sitting for a half hour on the side of a parkway, I got it started and brought it straight to the dealership. This time, a closer dealership and not the one where I purchased it from. They call me up and say they found metal shavings in the oil pan and are going to need to rebuild my engine. A week and a half later, I pick up my Veloster and not 10 minutes into driving, the check engine light goes on. It codes P0420 for the main cat again. They just clear it and say drive it and see if it comes on again.

About a week later the light comes on and I read the code. P0420. The problem is, the light had gone off by the time I made it to the dealership. They said, Hyundai won't do anything to replace the cat again unless the light is actively in when it arrives.

I take the car and continue to drive it for a little over 2 years and 23k miles with the light bouncing on and off the same day at least twice a week with them telling me the same thing. No light, no help.

Well, last week, Friday 9/27, the light went on and stayed on. The difference this time is when I put the car in gear, the transmission wouldn't engage. No drive, no reverse, tried second year in auto-manual and nothing. I turned the car off and back on about 15 times and finally it engaged. I unfortunately didn't have my reader to see what the code was this time but I brought it in right away. They brought it in as an emergency since it wasn't driving when I called them.

Friday night, the service manager calls me and says, "You need a new O2 sensor but it won't be here until Monday. Did you want to drive your car until then?"

I laughed and said, I may not be a mechanic but I can tell you an O2 sensor won't fix my issue. The transmission refused to engage. It may need an O2 sensor, but that isn't the only issue. Then he said the cat may need to be replaced, which has already happened 2 years prior so I laughed. My exhaust system would not prevent my transmission from engaging.

They kept the car over the weekend and low and behold, the O2 sensor which they ordered didn't arrive on Monday. Today, the rear O2 sensor showed up but after replacing it, the engine is still coding. I will be getting a loaner from them tomorrow morning since they have had my car for 3 business days now with no resolution thankfully, but I swear my car is cursed.

Did they just slap a check mark on the page after building it on a Thursday before a long holiday weekend so they could get out of there?

Has anything like this happened to anyone elses Veloster?

Please let me know.

-EVISCER8

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
Welcome to Hyundai Service.
If the service department sold Hyundai cars, there would be no Hyundai's on the road

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

I picked up my baby yesterday after they replaced both the Rear and Front O2 sensors. They test drove it and no codes.
Today on my way to work, guess what? Check engine light came back on. I am waiting for them to call me back so I can bring it back in today.

I also have a national consumer affairs case open with Hyundai Corporate. Yesterday my case manager said if the light comes back on, call her so they can look into proceeding down different avenues. I left her a voicemail this morning but since they are on the West Coast, it will be a while before I hear back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another Update: I called them before the close of business yesterday, and they ordered me a new Exhaust Manifold and Catalytic Converter. Hoping it arrives and is installed today so I can have my car back before I go on vacation for a week.

This was done once before on 4/21/2017 with 21,013 miles on the car.
The engine was rebuilt on 3/26/2018 with 32,367 miles on the car.
As of dropping it off on 10/3/2019, I now have 55,150 miles on the car and I am getting another new Exhaust manifold and Catalytic Converter...

While I was there, I had them give me a full printout of their diagnostics. The following were the codes that triggered when they replaced my front and rear O2 sensors.

C1642 CAN signal error ESC
C1275 Longitudinal G Sensor Range/Performance error
C1237 Primary Pressure Sensor-Signal
C1261 Steering Angle Sensor Not Calibrated
C1283 Yaw Rate & Lateral G Sensor-Signal
C1652 CAN signal error EPB
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems to point to electrical issues to me. I have said this to them in the past but they never listened so I'm going to let them tinker for as long as they want since they have me in a loaner for now. If history repeats itself, I expect to have another engine rebuild in about 11 months...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts