Veloster Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you do intend to use fuel additives it's best to use them one tank before an oil change, because the additives do seep past the rings and contaminate the engine oil something terrible. You end up with massive amounts of lead and other rubbish in the oil and that's a fact. The Hyundai approach of additives AT THE SERVICE is really poor because you're contaminating newly-changed fresh engine oil!

I do my own servicing and put a bottle of additive in the car one tank prior to a service. On the motorcycle I put a quarter of a bottle one tank prior to a service and it makes a big difference. I'm not sure if it's cleaning the motorcycle's fuel injectors or if it's just a general clean-up of the combustion chamber and plugs, but it does go noticeably better. The bottle of additive in the VT does create a noticeably smoky exhaust for a while, until it settles down.

I don't believe that modern, quality oils need extra additives, or what those additives are meant to do beyond the detergents and the dispersants that are already there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great advice on putting additive one tank prior to an oil change. Will start doing that as well.
I've been putting Lucas fuel system cleaner for the past 3 oil changes I've done, but I'm really worried about the intake valves due to the engine being a direct injection and due to the fact that I have yet to install a catch can.
Anyone who does not have a OCC do anything, or put any additives to address this matter? If so, what do you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Carlo, seafoam and anything with a high PEA content will be your best best. Some people say that fuel treatments poured in the tank will only help with the injectors and not valves.

So what I do now is just seafoam and pour in Gumout Regane (40% PEA content) in the tank. Then should all be done prior to an oil change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Eclipes, sorry for being a newb when it comes to seafoaming or pouring any additives/treatments. I have owned a 04 mazda 6 in the past and I had never had any issues with carbon build up so I am really new to all this OCC and seafoam. I was wondering as to how you seafoam your V. I googled and youtubed seafoam and I am somewhat not comfortable spraying seafoam in the throttle body while running the engine. Is this the same process you do?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Again, sorry for being a newb.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My veloster needed a bg44 induction cleaning from the dealer a few weeks ago. I use top tier fuel 90 to 95 percent of the time and I also used the tectron stuff 4 times now. My car has 40,000 miles. So I guess top tier is a waste of time and so is tectron . Had the car out today and I can hear the engine making the same noises it did before I got the bg44 cleaning two weeks ago. So I guess its back to the dealer for another bg44 cleaning anyday now. Ps I was just at the dealer today too I wish it happened on the way there and not rt before I got home. Now im wondering if this car needs to be taken apart and manually cleaned. Ill ask the dealer when I get my headunit back about why the bg44 stuff only worked for 2 weeks. I was told that every 30 to 40 thousand miles I might have to get the fuel system done by the dealer but now im wondering why it only worked for two weeks .

·
Registered
242 Posts
At ~ 21,000 miles I added another 20 oz of Techron fuel system cleaner (about $8 on sale) to a full tank of gas (the 3rd application since new) and as usual, the exhaust tips soon turned black with soot with local driving and a 200 mile road trip. Unfortunately, this treatment has no effect on the intake valve issue and I understand that, but the Techron is obviously working to clean the combustion chamber, upper rings, etc. Looking forward to the purchase of a 2015 F-150 with a choice of GDI, turbo, or conventional engines, I remain skeptical of GDI and/or turbo applications. The track record of those technologies re: reliability & maintenance remains to be seen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Works great

I've been using http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-oil-deep-clean-fuel-system-cleaner in my Veloster since I bought it. Over a year now. I've been using the product itself, for three or four years. As in all of the other cars I've owned, it works like a champ. I used to use Chevron Techron...but found that the Lucas works a lot better. Techron would seem to clean out the engine, but the tank of gas that it was in, would usually get bad mileage. I don't experience that with Lucas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
211k miles on my 2014 NAV dct base....
I use a K&N oil filter every oil change 5w 20 synthetic oil with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer... my nav isn't showing any signs of major problems... other than 2 coil packs, nothing other than normal preventative maintenance (pcv, plugs, battery, induction cleanings, etc...)... 300k miles is my goal..

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
1,074 Posts
Haha we're chasing each other on the forums. ?

In my 40+ years of building and restoring cars the Techron and Seafoam are the only 2 that make a difference in cleaning up the fuel system etc.
They both have a noticeable feel that the product work especially on older cars like my hooptie Ford Fairmont Futura with the "Iron Duke" 2.3 liter four banger. 330k miles on the old girl and ran like a champ.

My Porsche 944 was the same way when I added one or the other of the 2 fuel cleaners. Mileage improved, smoother idle, and a better driveability than before adding the cleaner.

With the Hyundai I've only used the Seafoam but usually forget about adding it since I only put no more than 300 miles a month on her.

The only oil treatment "snake oil" as most would say is I did the Microlon treatment to the oil and fuel system when the engine was good and broke in at about 10k miles.
Went from a best of 42 mpg to a best of 52mpg after treatment and noticed major improvement in highway roll on and smoother start ups.
Microlon isn't advertised and used by car and truck fleets with major improvements in mileage and power. Works for the life time of the car and a 1 time treatment. Love my snake oil. ??
Once I started building the car and modding the motor mileage went down as expected with a lead foot.

Next oil change I'll be using CRC top end cleaner before oil change to help clean up some carbon as I just went with a dual catch can setup to alleviate further gunking of the valves.

Sorry for the book. ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
211k miles on my 2014 NAV dct base....
I use a K&N oil filter every oil change 5w 20 synthetic oil with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer... my nav isn't showing any signs of major problems... other than 2 coil packs, nothing other than normal preventative maintenance (pcv, plugs, battery, induction cleanings, etc...)... 300k miles is my goal..
I'm considering buying a 2014 VT R-Spec with 179k miles. Any advice?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts