Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my F-150, I would use a bottle of Lucas once a month when I got fuel, sometimes twice if it was a month I was going through almost two tanks a week. Is anyone using this stuff or something like it in their V yet, or is it too new to worry about something like this?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have never used any additives. Do you actually see any results? or is it mostly psychological?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My F150 had 100,000 when I first got it, and ran great till I traded it in at 180,000, so it's hard to say that I noticed any improvements, but it kept running great the whole time. I also know several truck drivers who own their own rigs, they all use the Lucas stuff and swear by it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The manual says to use a fuel additive (doesn't say which one but available from Hyundai dealer) if Top Tier detergent Gasoline (not sure what that means) is NOT available every 7,500 miles.
Hyundai recommends Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner for the Sonata. It's probably the same.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
^ Wait what?

Reactions: mopster

·
Registered
289 Posts
^ Wait what?
Lucas was an English company that made electronic parts for a lot of automotive and home uses in the late 19th and 20th century (I do not think they still do). They had a terrible reputation for failing, so people refer to them as the "Prince of Darkness", the reason Europeans drink warm beer, their switches had settings of "high and blow", etc... lol

I had Lucas components in my 1967 Sunbeam Minx and, oddly enough, had no trouble at all with the electronics. Could never quite get the carb dialed in right, though.

That being said, I highly doubt they are the same company that makes the oil additive. Ace was just being funny, I laughed. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lucas was an English company that made electronic parts for a lot of automotive and home uses in the late 19th and 20th century (I do not think they still do). They had a terrible reputation for failing, so people refer to them as the "Prince of Darkness", the reason Europeans drink warm beer, their switches had settings of "high and blow", etc... lol

I had Lucas components in my 1967 Sunbeam Minx and, oddly enough, had no trouble at all with the electronics. Could never quite get the carb dialed in right, though.

That being said, I highly doubt they are the same company that makes the oil additive. Ace was just being funny, I laughed. :D
It was strictly for the humor. I had an MG with Lucas parts everywhere. Everyone of them was a potential problem. Could not help but laugh when I heard of pouring a Lucas product down a gas pipe.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The manual says to use a fuel additive (doesn't say which one but available from Hyundai dealer) if Top Tier detergent Gasoline (not sure what that means) is NOT available every 7,500 miles.
Hyundai recommends Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner for the Sonata. It's probably the same.
Re: Top Tier Gasoline...check www.toptiergas.com

Re: Chevron Techron. The Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner sold at dealers is rebadged Chevron, likely sold at a premium price. Occasionally, you can find the Chevron product at deep discount sale prices, e.g. Costco.

I'm a skeptic of oil additives, especially in new engines. My V will never be violated with snake oils...nor my money wasted buying them. I agree with the manufacturer's recommendations to not use them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
RE: Chevron Techron. The Hyundai Fuel System Cleaner sold at dealers is rebadged Chevron, likely sold at a premium price. Occasionally, you can find the Chevron product at deep discount sale prices, e.g. Costco.
Advanced Auto Parts is having a BOGOF sale on 20 oz. bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner at $12.99 each. I bought four bottles (two free obviously) along with a Maguires Clay Bar Cleaning System and a K&N Air Filter Cleaning Kit.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__7080568-P_N3232_T|GRP2030C____

·
Registered
384 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts is having a BOGOF sale on 20 oz. bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner at $12.99 each. I bought four bottles (two free obviously) along with a Maguires Clay Bar Cleaning System and a K&N Air Filter Cleaning Kit.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__7080568-P_N3232_T|GRP2030C____
Thats good info. I've done some reading over at the Bob is the oil guy forum and Chevron with Techron is best commercially available fuel system additive. They recommend running a bottle every oil change so I'm running one every 5k. I use the standard size bottle and add it to an empty tank and then fill it up about 75% of the way so it's truly concentrated and does a thorough cleaning.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
261 Posts
I only use Chevron, always. I can't imagine buying gasoline from a place called Rotten Robbies? LOL My concern is for this direct injection engine and gunking up on the valves. When I took it in for the first oil change (at 3,500 miles), I asked about installing a Catch Can (mentioned on another thread in this forum) to prevent gunk build up on the valves and the dealership service rep looked at me like I had lost my mind. LOL He said there is no such thing and if I attempt to install something under the hood myself it will completely void my warranty. I guess he thought I was some ding bat that was going to use bobby pins and a Marie Calendars pie pan or something? So I don't know what to do, I'd love to have a catch can but as long as I'm under Hyundai's warranty I have to play by their rules. I'm hoping I don't gunk up - any thoughts on this problem of the valves gunking up with direct injection engines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
personally I do not like lucas products, I think they are just a gimmick and I have seen no real evidence as to show any improvement in a vehicle. I do however use their gun oil in a pinch if needed.

I've tried every additive on the market and you can't go wrong with the techron, plus you can usually find it on a two for one deal at most of the major auto parts stores.

On some vehicles I have replaced a quart of oil with a quart of Rislone and from my observations my oil seems a bit cleaner after a 3K oil change.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts