Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anybody tried to install the head unit of the 2016 VT, that has now Android Auto, into a 2014 VT or any other year prior 2016 version?

I'm wondering how much that head unit cost as it seems that it would fit in the earlier version of the VT... Would definitely be better than an aftermarket unit...

Hopefully someone tried already :p

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't think that there will be many people doing this ATM. The HU has an RRP of about $US 2200 + . I have no idea what a wrecking yard would charge for the android / car play HU. And by the way, there is most probably zero chance that this would be a better than even a mid-range after market unit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I picked one up on eBay for $370. I'm waiting for delivery at the moment.
Hyundai OEM or one of those Chinese thingies? Not that I have anything bad to say other than some are good, some aren't and if you have the auto climate control, you lose the display functionality (temp, vent position) with the aftermarket HUs

·
Registered
12 Posts
id also like to know, However i dont think you wll get much help here as it seems this forum is pretty dead you would have much better luck on one of the Veloster facebook clubs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd be interested to see how you go. You wouldn't mind posting a link / pic of the HU you purchased?

·
Super Moderator
4,376 Posts
be interesting if this is a plug and play install. Do a DIY if you can :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I still need to figure out what cable(s) are required to connect the telematics unit to the headunit. I got a recommendation from Vt.org but that part number looked to me like it was the USB cable that leads to the port below the start button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey,
I noted that the part number of the VT 2014, 2015 and 2016 of the head unit is the exact same one (96560-2V731)...

When you want to order online the part on a website like this one:
Veloster ELECTRICAL/NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS Parts | Veloster 2014 Hyundai

Doesn't make sense why the part number would be the same while the year is different and only the 2016 got the update. Is that even possible that our 2014 VT is able to install the update from Hyundai??

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey,
I noted that the part number of the VT 2014, 2015 and 2016 of the head unit is the exact same one (96560-2V731)...

When you want to order online the part on a website like this one:
Veloster ELECTRICAL/NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS Parts | Veloster 2014 Hyundai

Doesn't make sense why the part number would be the same while the year is different and only the 2016 got the update. Is that even possible that our 2014 VT is able to install the update from Hyundai??
The Turbos without navigation have the same headunit every year or production. The new headunit is only for navigation enabled cars. It would not be possible to install the update on older units.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Turbos without navigation have the same headunit every year or production. The new headunit is only for navigation enabled cars. It would not be possible to install the update on older units.
OK so same part number for the non-navigation units.

I guess we will wait to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The radio works. The microphone has very low sensitivity. Since the radio I bought didn't come with the SD card I dont have access to the navigation section of the interface. I also do not have the required cabling for position sensing so it wouldnt be useful anyways.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Mehringe,

What year is your Veloster, and did it have navigation originally?

Was it a plug and play swap or did you need any parts / harnesses / dealer updates / etc?

I would love to get Android Auto in my 2015, just have the factory Navigation now. I have AA in my 2016 Silverado and it's awesome. Google maps with re-routing for traffic is worth it on its own. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
2013 Veloster Turbo
No stock navigation
Not plug and play. I created an entire adapter harness to repin the stock harness to the updated pinout. Not an easy task but it is possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts