Veloster Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post this here a well and see if I can get more reactions.
So I'm still tracking down this issue. I have done all that was suggested by the wonderful folks in this forum. The car, (2016 Hyundai Veloster 1.4 GDI Turbo), has new Hyundai OEM coil packs, new NGK plugs gapped to .028. I have checked all connections and grounds. After doing all this, the car runs perfectly normal for about a week. At some point after that, if I accelerate hard, I will get a backfire that sounds like it's before the converter close to the engine and I will get the cylinder 4 misfire code, and sometimes a general misfire code (cylinder undetected). After that, the car will run like crap until I replace the #4 coil pack. This seems to be a recurring problem on a lot of these engines. Am I missing something obvious? BTW, I did have it to Hyundai and all they do is replace the coil pack. That's fine, but my extended warranty is about up and this will get very expensive real quick after that.

If this were the "old Days" I'd be looking for a timing/advance issue. The car isn't throwing any codes that would indicate a problem with the crank or cam sensors though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: After doing more reading, I redid ALL the ground connections on the car, (there are 6 or 8, after a while they all run together...). I ground off any paint and debris and used a conductive paste and re-secured all of them. The car has been running great for two weeks now! All of us that laughed at the guys who mentioned grounding, owe them an abject apology!!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,350 Posts
awesome to hear! Indeed fixing up the grounds helps for sure.

also it's a 1.6 turbo ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts