Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m a beginner at what’s good and what’s not good as far as prolonging the Health of my cars engine.
Please help!!!!!!
So I’ve put in a OCC(oil catch can) also an injen short ram intake.
I wanted to let some of the crank case pressure out so I’m venting to atmosphere.
But wasn’t to sure if all this set up is enough or even good for my car’s health.
my accomplishment I’m going for is to make the engine last longer and also Prolong the Health of my turbo.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice please leave a comment.
Reference to these photos for Visual diagram of my set up.

thank you!
7D451061-26B8-4375-87DC-AC7E51615689.jpeg
7D451061-26B8-4375-87DC-AC7E51615689.jpeg 4EB3B301-421A-4C90-9662-97E547FD09D7.jpeg 6A13A247-86DA-450D-AD34-03A352A32867.jpeg 767B6BC2-6D04-4754-8197-CFD23B30F1B5.jpeg 632A4B2C-552F-4740-8B18-9354BC5E0ADD.jpeg

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You will eventually have a terrible oily mess on to of your engine with that set up.

Additionally you should realize that the ECU will recognize the loss of connection to the throttle body and throw a trouble code.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
777 Posts
You will eventually have a terrible oily mess on to of your engine with that set up.

Additionally you should realize that the ECU will recognize the loss of connection to the throttle body and throw a trouble code.
The mess on top of the valve cover could happen but that's the clean air side and has little to no heavy vapors coming from there.

The cap on the intake tube is fine and won't throw a code. There's nothing there telling the ecu it's plugged or hooked up to the valve cover. No codes to worry about it.

So I’m a beginner at what’s good and what’s not good as far as prolonging the Health of my cars engine.
Please help!!!!!!
So I’ve put in a OCC(oil catch can) also an injen short ram intake.
I wanted to let some of the crank case pressure out so I’m venting to atmosphere.
But wasn’t to sure if all this set up is enough or even good for my car’s health.
my accomplishment I’m going for is to make the engine last longer and also Prolong the Health of my turbo.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice please leave a comment.
Reference to these photos for Visual diagram of my set up.

thank you!
On the pcv side I'm seeing I'd vent to atmosphere from the output of the catch can and plug the port on the intake manifold.
Now you've got zero oily vapors going into the combustion chamber and it'll help with the reduction of carbon from the pcv system.
Oh and get rid of the actual pcv valve and install an 1/8npt to 5/16" barb adaptor for better breathing. A check valve may also be needed in that line as youre turbo.

I'd also add one more line for better breathing because two lines is not enough to keep crankcase pressures down.
Here's a way to do it and you'll need another catch can for this to keep the out flowing air clean.
7AE88D36-D7E5-47DC-B8E2-0389772B3F82.jpeg

Here is how I setup the catch cans for both pcv and fresh air. I've recently got rid of the clean air can, bought a 3 port can to house the pcv and clean air in one can for better space management.

951ED7DD-220B-46FF-8A4E-D7DA33D50208.jpeg

Hope that gives you some ideas and no I've had no issues at all with this setup.
Every 1500 miles I empty and clean the cars as they're about a 1/3 full with gunk. They're doing their job. 👍
Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With all that being said with the (intake) does this type of mod hurt or have any negative impacts on the engine health?
I plan on keeping this car for awhile and just want the car in its best shape.

do I need anything els while I run the intake that I don’t have?

·
Registered
777 Posts
With all that being said with the (intake) does this type of mod hurt or have any negative impacts on the engine health?
I plan on keeping this car for awhile and just want the car in its best shape.

do I need anything els while I run the intake that I don’t have?
Won't hurt the car or engine I e bit.
Ive had this setup for over a year with zero issues.

If you're going to do the oil cap setup you'll need an aluminum cap, drill and tap it to fit 3/8" npt thread, and then get a 3/8" npt male thread to 3/8" barb to make it work. Most catch cans have 3/8" barbed connections. Use 3/8" fuel line for the hosing.

Hope that helps. 👍

·
Registered
56 Posts
Misnblu's setup is the way same I run mine, as do several other members on the forums. Running both lines to catch cans with the output port vented to atmosphere is the cleanest way to both prevent oil vapor from reentering the intake AND from exiting on top of your engine.

Worth noting that if you're vented to atmosphere, you CAN remove the PCV and install a better flowing barb adapter like misnblu said, and you will NOT need a check valve (that's really all the PCV valve is, a check valve that screws into the intake manifold). The PCV's only purpose is to allow air to get sucked out of the crankcase by vacuum in the intake manifold, but to shut when the intake manifold is under boost and prevent pressurizing the crankcase.

Worth noting that when I ran a vented oil fill cap WITHOUT a catch can (line ran straight to a breather filter) I ended up with a very oily mess on top of my engine, even with a properly functioning PCV system. Definitely run these lines to a catch can if you don't like cleaning oily messes.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Worth noting that when I ran a vented oil fill cap WITHOUT a catch can (line ran straight to a breather filter) I ended up with a very oily mess on top of my engine, even with a properly functioning PCV system. Definitely run these lines to a catch can if you don't like cleaning oily messes.
Well noted and I had to learn the hard way when I had a filter directly on the cap thinking it would work.
Heck they even sell this by some reputable KDM retailers but the fact is the filter will fill with oil and belch it all over your engine. 😁😂
The catch can idea has been flawless and I have yet to clean a filter on these cans I'm using so they work.
You'll still get the vapor smells into the cabin but to me it tells me the engine is breathing like it's supposed to and the cans are doing their job.
Thanks for that post @ArchReaven 🤙👍

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks misnblu. And archreaven I’ll be making these changes as soon as I get a day off. I’m an Amazon driver so that’s might be in the future. Lol appreciate the help I’ll follow back up with the changes

·
Registered
56 Posts
1/8npt to 5/16" barb adaptor got it! And thanks guys for the feed back I’ll be fixing that now.
Your mileage may vary, but 1/8NPT does not fit into the PCV threading on my VT. It catches but does not thread fully.

Rather than keep experimenting, I'm just getting a cheap replacement PCV off amazon and drilling it out. /shrug

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but 1/8NPT does not fit into the PCV threading on my VT. It catches but does not thread fully.

Rather than keep experimenting, I'm just getting a cheap replacement PCV off amazon and drilling it out. /shrug
I tried to drill out the pcv but couldn't get it to work.
So I said F it and put in the 1/8" npt adaptor to 5/16" and never looked back. 🤷🏼‍♂️
No leaks and works great. 👍😉

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting. Maybe the accent is differently sized? I know the 1/4 NPT only just catches threads on mine, it doesn't even begin to actually thread into the valve cover.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Interesting. Maybe the accent is differently sized? I know the 1/4 NPT only just catches threads on mine, it doesn't even begin to actually thread into the valve cover.
It's not a perfect thread match so yeah you'll have to ruin what threads are there.
I didn't have a problem with it as I'm a builder and do what you e got to do to make things work. It works and I've already got another valve cover drilled and tapped properly with AN fittings for the turbo motor. Once the swap is done I'll do the same for the na motor when I do a full on na build on it. 😁👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts