Veloster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if they are they reliable, upgradable, good on gas, how's the handling, ETC... I am looking for a honest review and I want to hear all the problems I am mechanically inclined and understand all cars have set backs but have heard good things about this car thank you to anyone who can help out.

·
Registered
2015 VT Manual
634 Posts
I've owned two, a 2013 naturally aspirated and a 2015 turbo. Both of them stick shift. Never had a problem with either. I'm getting 25 MPG with about 50/50 driving and its at 42k miles. It's full bolt-on, tuned, and has suspension work done. The thing is like a go-cart and I love driving it. Looks fucking cool too. Most people don't even know what it is. I'm 5'7" and the car fits me like a glove, plus the hatchback is so much more useful than a trunk. Mine's paid off and I have no intentions of getting another vehicle. That said when it's winter and crappy out, I usually drive the Tahoe. If you want to check out what modifications are available, look at KDM Tuners, SoCal Garage Works, and Pierce Motorsports.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,544 Posts
same, had a nav uptraded to turbo and been pretty great since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sold my 2015 RAM Hemi this spring without any intention to buy another vehicle until late fall/winter (I have a CX5 that is parked for the summer and a motorcycle).
A one owner well maintained loaded 6spd manual 2012 Veloster with low mileage came up for sale locally a few weeks later. I wanted to get back into driving a manual so met with the Seller.
Long story short.....I ended up buying it without hesitation and after a few months of ownership I have been very happy with it. It's great on gas, has been very reliable, and handles decent.
Although it lacks horsepower it's fun to drive if you keep it in the rev zones. I'm usually the only person in it so plenty of room for me. The only thing I've added is a Curt "tow bar" to attach a bike rack to the hitch.
Mine came with a set of snows on rims so it will be interesting to see how this light car will handle in a Canadian city winter.

Again, very happy with my Veloster.........

·
Registered
2014 NA Veloster 1.6L 4cyl M/T
26 Posts
I’ve got a 2014 NAV with the 6 speed mt and I love it. It doesn’t handle very well in the rain or snow, and stock it doesn’t take hard turns very well and you might get some rear hop, but I bought a fairly cheap Megan Racing strut tower brace and most of that goes away. You can also pretty easily get sway bars and I believe a trunk brace, which would definitely help.

I’ve had the car since December and have modified and driven it fairly hard and it’s held up great. It is tons of fun to work on, is reliable, and gets great gas mileage. I’m averaging about 33-35 mpg right now.

Within the first few months I installed an intake and modified the exhaust and it was immediately a really fun daily driver. (I did the Injen SRI and a resonator delete, magnaflow straight through muffler, and electric exhaust cutout. I’ve done tons of other things to it since but that was enough to make it super fun.)

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo M/T
61 Posts
I got a 2013 Turbo a couple years ago at about ~70k. Been Driving it as a daily for all these years and it's just over 150k now. Was at one point driving 120 miles a day for my commute Like 2 and a half to 3 hours daily basically and it was great. MPG was solid and is super fun for a daily. I've since added an intake, BOV, hitch and roof rack for road trips, upgraded the head unit and sub, and will be installing a magnaflow exhaust in the coming week. Absolutely head over heels for my car. It's also probably worth mentioning that I accidentally drove it through a flood and sucked up water about a month ago or so and it survived.

Really can't go wrong with a hatchback for utility. I personally dislike sedans cause I'm rarely transporting people and trunk openings are almost always oddly shaped so you can barely fit anything in them. I've been able to surprise myself with how much stuff I can throw in there when the back seats are dropped. The third door is nice cause you get that coupe feel, but you don't have to pull up the seats to let people in the back. I had a coupe before and that was always pretty annoying.

Its super compact so its insanely easy to drive and maneuver through traffic, parking lots, etc. Even though it's pretty small, I'm 6ft tall and sit comfortably in it; In case you were worried about that. Though if you're significantly taller than that then that may be something to look out for.

If it's in your budget, I'd advise shooting for the 2016+ models just because they're built better than their predecessors. The earlier years had a bit of notoriety for their weaker internals, but my 2013 has been nothing but good to me so I'd say just be wary and check the VIN of any earlier models you are interested in for recalls (really you should do this with any car).
1st gen Vs are 2012-2017, 2nd gen are 2018+ btw

Modifiability is there. Car is super easy to work on and there are a bunch of aftermarket parts out there for us, easily found with the vendors @Incognito mentioned. Tork motorsports and sxth element engineering are another two off the top of my head.

Overall, highly recommend!

Reactions: RealSlimShady✔️

·
Registered
2014 NA Veloster 1.6L 4cyl M/T
26 Posts
I personally dislike sedans cause I'm rarely transporting people and trunk openings are almost always oddly shaped so you can barely fit anything in them.
I have a 2001 Crown Victoria with a fully stripped interior and no back seats. Between the back seat area and the trunk you could fit at least 3 sets of wheels and tires lol.

But yeah the V is cool bc it looks small from the outside but you can fit quite a bit.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,544 Posts
yah well a vic is huuuuge unit. big comfy couch!

love me some mercury marauders.

Reactions: RealSlimShady✔️

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo M/T
61 Posts
I have a 2001 Crown Victoria with a fully stripped interior and no back seats. Between the back seat area and the trunk you could fit at least 3 sets of wheels and tires lol.

But yeah the V is cool bc it looks small from the outside but you can fit quite a bit.
I recently saw a Lincoln Towncar trunk in person, so I don't doubt this one bit. That body style is crazy huge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts