Veloster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
True but they could always take some basic parts and add them to the potential R-Spec. Retune the computer and increase the boost on the turbo. Basically what they did to the 2.0T when they put it in the Sonata. Increased boost to 17 psi to make 276hp versus the 210 in the genesis 2.0T

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
True but they could always take some basic parts and add them to the potential R-Spec. Retune the computer and increase the boost on the turbo. Basically what they did to the 2.0T when they put it in the Sonata. Increased boost to 17 psi to make 276hp versus the 210 in the genesis 2.0T

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Thats not what they did. The 2.0T motors in the Genesis and the Sonata are totally different.

The R-Spec Genesis has the same motor as the rest of them, base and premium. Its the lightest version, the base, with no options and they add the brakes, lsd, sport suspension and bigger wheels and tires.

The VT would follow the same receipe.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Its not DI and its a closer relative to the Evo X motor then whats in the Sonata. For '13 it now has a much larger intercooler, twin scroll turbo, more boost, etc. The 3.8 is DI and its a brand new engine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Its not DI and its a closer relative to the Evo X motor then whats in the Sonata. For '13 it now has a much larger intercooler, twin scroll turbo, more boost, etc. The 3.8 is DI and its a brand new engine.
ohh I thought it was the same engine that was in the sonata, thats DI correct?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
They all use the "Theta" engine, but they differ in the internals, turbos, gdi, etc. They are similar, but not the exact same engines. The same basic engine in various forms is used by Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi even Chrysler lol.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think everyone should just stop speculating about the R-Spec VT and just see if it ever happens. None of us are ever going to guess what they Would do if they were to make one, and given Hyundai's Fuel Economy PR issue right now, I really do not see them putting in the R&D to make an R-Spec VT especially considering they are having no trouble selling the regular VT.

And to the guy who said they would "likely give it 300-350hp", really? Shame on you for being foolishly oblivious :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'll stick with my VT. its sporty enough for me! its not like i'll take the VT to the track. its FANTASIC for a daily driver. no more, no less.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats why rule of thumb, never buy first year launches....traditionally car makers always tweak/upgrade the vehicles in 2nd year (fix issues/add or delete options, etc).

The VT is great since most of the nagging issues that might exist in the NA version will have been resolved in the following year.

If people with VTS are pissed, think about the guys like me who got the regular veloster without knowing about a turbo

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Some will argue the VT is "new" however there doesn't seem to be any common issues related to the VT since its launch back in Q3 of 2012.

I'm happy to be proud owner of a Vitamin C VT since Labour Day Weekend 2012.

The only thing I experienced that was remotely negative was a very minor paint imperfection (on the hatch along the edge, where "dust" settled during factory painting) that was repaired under warranty -- plus dealership provided loaner car.

The NAV unit with the clock is still an issue with keeping proper time, and of course the mileage is a little less than advertised, however I don't regret my VT one bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I still have to say that I'm glad to be one that owns an NA V, it meets all my needs with better mpg. Sure I miss having the extra pick up when I "need" it, but that doesn't come often enough. However once I'm finished with schooling I'll be trading in for more HP :D which gives me 2 years to save towards either the "R-spec" Veloster, or whatever happens to grab my attention.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Even if/when Hyundai makes an R-Spec version, I wont be getting one.

IMO, sacrificing some of the very nice options (nav, stereo, roof, pushbutton start, etc) isn't worth the very slight increase in performance the R might have.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Even if/when Hyundai makes an R-Spec version, I wont be getting one.

IMO, sacrificing some of the very nice options (nav, stereo, roof, pushbutton start, etc) isn't worth the very slight increase in performance the R might have.

Now if they offered it in AWD.....different story lol

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Probably, if they follow the same formula as the Genesis. The R-Spec Genesis is a base car with performance options. Bigger brakes, better suspension, LSD, same hp, other minor tweaks. No moonroof, base radio, simple interior, no auto tranny, keyed ignition, etc. they don't even have cruise control.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably, if they follow the same formula as the Genesis. The R-Spec Genesis is a base car with performance options. Bigger brakes, better suspension, LSD, same hp, other minor tweaks. No moonroof, base radio, simple interior, no auto tranny, keyed ignition, etc. they don't even have cruise control.
Well then... I believe that would break it for me. One of the larger/largest appeals of the veloster.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
43 Participants
gantech
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing