Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Hyundai Veloster Turbo was unveiled earlier this year, offering a 1.6-liter, turbo-four with 201-hp and 195 lb-ft of torque for a mere $21,500. Now rumors are speculating a high performance variant of the Veloster Turbo could be in the works.

While it’s too early to put a name to the model (R-Spec perhaps), those who have been able to examine the sports car up close and personal noticed a few interesting design decisions. For example, the Veloster Turbo despite having a more powerful engine, sports the same suspension as the base model Veloster. It appears that this was done on purpose by the Korean automaker, allowing room to offer a higher performance model.

Suspension upgrades, as well as an even more powerful powerplant is a possibility. Though we feel that the 2.0-liter, turbo-four with 274-hp from the Genesis Coupe may be a little too expensive for the Veloster’s price range. But it would be no surprise to see upgraded suspension components, a lowered stance, and minor tweaking to the engine make its way to a higher-tiered model.

Given that the powerplant is turbocharged, it wouldn’t take much for the automaker to up the performance numbers without sacrificing fuel efficiency of reliability. An upgraded intake, better-flowing exhaust, and throwing a couple more pounds of boost through an ECU retuned could easily make a 220-hp Veloster Turbo that much more attractive – and fun.

But for now, we’ll just keep speculating. Because if there’s anything automotive enthusiasts love to do is to wish for more performance.

Read AutoGuide’s 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Review here.
Read the complete Veloster Turbo R-Spec story at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
784 Posts
Seems to be the whole "no we're not doing a better performance model than this" thing all over again. NA V owners will get even more annoyed and VT owners will feel the same as NA owners when the turbo was officially announced. Let's see if anyone is actually crazy enough to trade in their normal VT on an R-Spec if they go ahead!

I know I'll be satisfied with my VT, just get a good exhaust, lower it with a good set of rims and I'm happy. Won't be on the track all the time so I'm not fussed paying extra for all the hardcore bits.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I saw mention of the same possibility on another auto site a few months back. Unfortunately a lot of the big news flashes on some auto sites are just something to fill the space. I mean, just read the sentence below from the article... does it really mean anything

Now rumors are speculating a high performance variant of the Veloster Turbo could be in the works.
Sort of like this line from the Veloster Convertible article 3 months ago... sounds real definite and convincing..

...if the Korean company does what we think it's thinking about doing.
Sort of like the Tiburon convertible that was coming.. which then changed to the Genesis Coupe convertible was coming.. etc....

Just because it's on the internet DOESN'T mean it's true...

·
Registered
76 Posts
i am allfor a higher performance model , but if they mess with the suspension and it ends up rideing rougher then mine does now i wouldn,t buy it , ilive in minnesota and are roads are rougher then hell , the ass end skips around on the bad roads i drive on now , they should have used a full independant suspension from the start i would have glady paid more for the car had they done that in the first place this is definitly my biggest gripe about the veloster, i do like awesome looks awesome interior great feature content and now more power with the turbo

·
Registered
485 Posts
If the R-Spec is anything like the GC R-Spec, it would not have any of the techie features I want. I'd gladly still take a VT over an R-Spec. :)
Yeah, it's not the end of the world.
Plus those that have committed early enough to the VT to be made an owner already are less likely to be concerned about raw performance, slightly different market from the R-spec one.
I'd take a regular VT over the R-spec, even if the VT comes with a buncha features that I don't really care for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh Hyundai, why do you torture me?First I love the NA V, then I want the Turbo but now the R-spec?I'll just stick with my full edition NA V for a good 5 years or so and see how far the veloster improves by then lol.....
this, if it is true then I'm glad I didn't get the VT at the moment

·
Registered
488 Posts
If the R-Spec is anything like the GC R-Spec, it would not have any of the techie features I want. I'd gladly still take a VT over an R-Spec. :)
Yah the R-Spec would like strip all the tech stuff to reduce weight and unnecessary costs to prevent it from going deep in the Gene Coupe price range. We'll see. I wouldn't trade mine in for the R-Spec even if it does happen as I use it as a daily and love the feature set I have now. We'll wait and see but I don't think they'll make people feel too cheesed. I mean it's not like the NA V to the VT is a cheap bump in price either so I find a lot of people still debating whether the extra umph is worth the $$.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The VT is perfect for me for the price I paid. When I first saw the V in it's NA form and test drove it, I thought to myself, I would buy this car in a heartbeat if it only had more grunt so I could use the power to get myself out of sticky situations (need to pass, need to cut in, need to merge). I actually felt unsafe with the amount of power it had. Then the VT came and yup, it has enough power for me. I would not upset at all with a launch higher performance model because either it would cost more, or else they would have to cut a lot of features out to keep the price the same, and also my gas mileage would be worse. I wouldn't want any of these.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a bizarre company, only months ago, they introduce the Veloster with the immediate comments that a turbo was in the works, then they release the turbo and start rumors that an R-spec is in the works.

Meanwhile, they can't meet the waiting lists they have for just the Veloster.

Business tip to Hyundai: instead of making more models, you might make more money by actually making more cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
yeah haha

this car does desperately need better tires and an LSD
yeah haha

this car does desperately need better tires and an LSD
Yeah, I left some more of my stock tires in the intersection last week taking a left within the speed limit on a long green left signal with nobody in front of me coming up to it. Slowed down to go into the corner safely and accelerated out of it nice and proper. The last bit of acceleration out of the corner is all the stock tires could take so I had to back off a bit. Paved not too long ago and dry out so you're not going to get much better pavement. It sounded like it was the front right leaving the rubber on the road although it's hard to be certain as I had the radio on.

Rain'll be back in a couple months around here and then you won't be able to go very fast through corners safely anyhow no matter the tire. I'm personally sticking with the stocks and will drive within their limits as I don't race and it's a pretty rare day on the public road where you can hit the limits of the tire within the law and while driving safely as other vehicles such as SUV's etc are typically going to be slower through corners and tailgating is one of the most unsafe things you can do.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
hahah suckas! One of many reasons why i was waiting.

some summer tires and an LSD...yes please. You can have all the techy crap. give me a real key and the touchscreen HU...i'm golden! dont need he moonroof, bluetooth, back up sensors...etc...just keep the damn Cruise control!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Suspension

The suspension has been upgraded on the new turbo models. This article is not correct. Look it up.

Quote from Veloster flier from dealership: " To complement its added power, Veloster Turbo uses large front and rear stabilizer bars to reduce body roll and improve handling on the curves. It also features a quicker-ratio steering rack and revised steering calibration to match, giving the driver more precise feedback and control as you run through the gears."

Hmmmm....same as base model my ass. I am so sick of hearing that on reviews.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
43 Participants
gantech
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing