Veloster Forum banner

Hyundai refuses repair under warranty!?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Connorgpw 
#1 ·
My gf and I bought a 2016 veloster n/a almost new with 5,000 on it we’ve put 40,000 miles on it. Well here’s a list of issues we’ve had first off melting the rear bumper. This car has melted two rear bumpers and the dealership has replaced the cats claiming they were clogged!. Now they will not fix it saying dirt on the outside of the cat is causing it to overheat and damage the cat? The car is fairly clean we live down a dusty road but I’d like to see the tests where a cat having dirt on it causes it to fail I think it’s bs! Now the next issue the car claims to get like 35 on the high way it gets 23. The car always has black soot on the rear hatch. Next issue the transmission is shuddering took it to Hyundai they said there’s no issues with transmissions in these cars. Well well just type in dual clutch issues with Hyundai and you find all sorts of law suits and crap, still they refuse to repair. Passenger side heater blows cold air in cold climates. The front right strut is clunking. And all at 40,000 miles under warranty but Hyundai says it’s fine when clearly there’s issues that they are in denial about repairing. It’s been to the dealer 5 times and they tried charging us to repair the car under warranty we needed this car for a long time and it’s been a total piece of crap what do we do??

#2 · (Edited)
"Almost new" with 5k miles means used. So unfortunately there's no way to know how it was treated before you got it.

As for mileage, my 2012 gets in the 30's MPG easily, so there's something wrong. If the cat is getting hot it usually means its clogged inside. And cats don't go bad on their own, they clog because of an engine burning oil or running rich. So, I'd have the engine checked to see if it's burning oil or running rich. Running rich would explain the poor mileage. If he dealer can't figure that out then find a good mechanic that can. Or sell it and cut your losses.

#3 ·
I would try taking it to another dealer

Reactions: Kidf8 and Ricky-D
#4 ·
Sounds very similar to my 2015 NA. It has had the CAT replaced twice, and the engine was rebuilt at 32,000 miles. I just recently got it back with a new CAT in it less than 1k miles ago and I'm waiting for the next issue. I currently have 57k on it and have brought it in for performance related issues almost 10 times! The service list looks like a short story.

I ended up calling Hyundai Corp and opened a nation wide case the last time it was in and the dealership finally replaced my CAT. I brought it in because the car wouldn't engage any gears. Put it in drive, nothing. Reverse, nothing. Ended up turning it off for a few minutes and starting it back up 3 times and it finally went into gear. That was never looked into but they did replace 2 O2 sensors so you know, the Hyundai service treatment. Still stutters in reverse and clicks a lot, and sometimes refuses to shift properly when I slow down to a crawl and step on the gas again but they say nothing is wrong with it. (Gotta love service)

It's a shame because I love driving it. I'm very close to trading it in the next time that check engine light comes on.

Good luck with it, I wish you the best.

#5 ·
Tl;dr: this might be carbon related and possibly preventable with air intake valve cleaner for gdi and fuel injector cleaner.

I have a 13 nav and I was tired of the soot on the bumper, so I went looking through the internet and discovered it's probably because of the GDI engines and how they get very dirty. When I had my exhaust replaced the resonator was clogged with soot, carbon, at 40,000 miles.

It's a problem many manufacturerers are having with their gdi... It's possible I'm completely wrong and this is an engine management problem, but I find it interesting that the exhaust system is always clogged with carbon in these posts.

The fuel injectors are positioned directly into the combustion chamber and because of that design carbon is not washed away from the backs of the air intake valves like traditional fuel injection. I think that hot carbon chunks are flying through the exhaust system after excessive buildup and igniting clogged cats. Or just getting hot and failing because of carbon buildup in general in the cat. Regardless it sucks and shouldn't be your problem. They might have you on the fine print with this one though because I bought used as well and I don't think they covers much on for a second owner.

All I can do is recommend how to prevent it again possibly, every 10 to 15,000 miles use a gdi air intake valve cleaner, and fuel cleaner for gdi specifically. It's cheaper if you do it yourself, much cheaper. Crc, seafoam and BG come to mind, but everyone feels differently about which product I'm sure. (I like bg). I do not experience much soot at all now and the car is much more spirited in it's acceleration.

And if you have the dct automatic the transmission is definitely not great and that's just kind of how it is. It feels like it hesitates going between 1st and 2nd gear I bet doesn't it? Rolling stops kind of suck too maybe?

#7 · (Edited)
Tl;dr: this might be carbon related and possibly preventable with air intake valve cleaner for gdi and fuel injector cleaner.

I have a 13 nav and I was tired of the soot on the bumper, so I went looking through the internet and discovered it's probably because of the GDI engines and how they get very dirty. When I had my exhaust replaced the resonator was clogged with soot, carbon, at 40,000 miles.

It's a problem many manufacturerers are having with their gdi... It's possible I'm completely wrong and this is an engine management problem, but I find it interesting that the exhaust system is always clogged with carbon in these posts.

The fuel injectors are positioned directly into the combustion chamber and because of that design carbon is not washed away from the backs of the air intake valves like traditional fuel injection. I think that hot carbon chunks are flying through the exhaust system after excessive buildup and igniting clogged cats. Or just getting hot and failing because of carbon buildup in general in the cat. Regardless it sucks and shouldn't be your problem. They might have you on the fine print with this one though because I bought used as well and I don't think they covers much on for a second owner.

All I can do is recommend how to prevent it again possibly, every 10 to 15,000 miles use a gdi air intake valve cleaner, and fuel cleaner for gdi specifically. It's cheaper if you do it yourself, much cheaper. Crc, seafoam and BG come to mind, but everyone feels differently about which product I'm sure. (I like bg). I do not experience much soot at all now and the car is much more spirited in it's acceleration.

And if you have the dct automatic the transmission is definitely not great and that's just kind of how it is. It feels like it hesitates going between 1st and 2nd gear I bet doesn't it? Rolling stops kind of suck too maybe?

I am
My gf and I bought a 2016 veloster n/a almost new with 5,000 on it we’ve put 40,000 miles on it. Well here’s a list of issues we’ve had first off melting the rear bumper. This car has melted two rear bumpers and the dealership has replaced the cats claiming they were clogged!. Now they will not fix it saying dirt on the outside of the cat is causing it to overheat and damage the cat? The car is fairly clean we live down a dusty road but I’d like to see the tests where a cat having dirt on it causes it to fail I think it’s bs! Now the next issue the car claims to get like 35 on the high way it gets 23. The car always has black soot on the rear hatch. Next issue the transmission is shuddering took it to Hyundai they said there’s no issues with transmissions in these cars. Well well just type in dual clutch issues with Hyundai and you find all sorts of law suits and crap, still they refuse to repair. Passenger side heater blows cold air in cold climates. The front right strut is clunking. And all at 40,000 miles under warranty but Hyundai says it’s fine when clearly there’s issues that they are in denial about repairing. It’s been to the dealer 5 times and they tried charging us to repair the car under warranty we needed this car for a long time and it’s been a total piece of crap what do we do??

Your issues are based on what Kidf8 wrote about regarding carbon build up on the intake. There is a very simple solution to EVERY problem (related to the engine) you just wrote about and the dealer will not inform you about it. You need to install an oil catch can. They cost from $20 up. Let me explain. The engine crank case ventilation on these engines dumps the oil vapors into the intake manifold to burn it, but most of it gets trapped on top of the head valves and builds up in chunks. These chunks eventually go down the exhaust and stick to the catalytic converter clogging it and maybe even melting it because it doesn't let it cool due to the trapped oil carbon in the honey comb inside. That was your catalytic issue they didn't tell you about. The other negative effects are a bad running engine with bad gas economy, black smoke out the tail pipe. and hesitation. Most modern GDI engines have an additional fuel injector that sprays on the intake to flush the oil vapor down and keep the intake clean, Hyundai didn't do this so we end up with these problems. My advice to you is to get the intake carbon cleaned at the dealer with walnut sandblasting, have the injector tips cleaned and make sure the catalytic is still good. After that, install the oil catch can (youtube has how to videos, very easy) and forget about this problem for ever. Just remember to dump the oil out of the can every oil change. If your keeping the car I suggest you have your ECU tuned to 91 octane gas at a tuning shop. Well worth the extra 10-15 hp and it runs smoother, more responsive and better MPG. Try OEMTuning in Santa Ana California. I have a 2014 Veloster naturally aspirated 6 speed standard transmission and what I am telling you works perfect, trust me! Oh the transmission issue is common with DCT transmissions not only with Hyundai. I would get the engine running right and see if the transmission drivability gets better.

Reactions: Kidf8
#6 ·
Correct cleaner that dealers use is CRC gdi & turbo. Intake valve cleaner Change the oil and filter afterwards as some product goes to oil pan. Not only does all the carbon damage converters It robs the engine of major horsepower after it is cleaned it will perform much better and horsepower is back up

#9 ·
Hi!
Yes your Focus ST is a standard manual transmission like my Base Veloster NA. Good thing you got the GT, the standard models of your Focus had bad transmissions because they were DCT like your Veloster. I agree the 1st gen of Velosters had many issues baked in at fabrication. Mine has 25K on it and so far it runs great. So what did you do with the Veloster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.