Veloster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I wrong to be peeved about this? (Details below, I just got the notice today..)

Basically, they are saying they are going to install SW to listen to my engine more closely, and that if they detect a problem they'll limit my revs and give me limited mileage to get to a dealer. BUT, I really only drive this car on 1000+ mile road trips so if it happened that that time I'd be screwed waiting for whatever service station was closest to fix me.
Am I right to be annoyed that they don't just step up and fix a known problem rather than possibly inconveniencing me horribly? Seems like the cheap way out for them, and the annoying way out for me :/

(details)

Recall date
2020-11-30
Recall no.
20V746000
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2015-2016 Veloster, 2012 Santa Fe, 2011-2013 Sonata Hybrid, and 2016 Sonata Hybrid vehicles. The connecting rod bearings inside the engine may wear prematurely, which over time can result in engine damage.
Recall consequence
A damaged engine can increase the risk of a fire or it can cause an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
Recall action
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine. If bearing damage is found, the engine will be replaced. Dealers will also install a software update containing a new Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS). Repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 22, 2021. Owners may contact Hyundai customer

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
[B]Jeffw[/B], I think you are overreacting quite a bit. To say Hyundai does not have your best interests at heart through a recall is denying the obvious, as is you're overreaction. 🙂

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I'm definitely going to schedule to get the SW update ASAP. Previously, folks had PAID to get this protection and this campaign provides reimbursement for those who had paid for it. Yes, I rather go into limp mode than ruin the engine if possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I wrong to be peeved about this? (Details below, I just got the notice today..)

Basically, they are saying they are going to install SW to listen to my engine more closely, and that if they detect a problem they'll limit my revs and give me limited mileage to get to a dealer. BUT, I really only drive this car on 1000+ mile road trips so if it happened that that time I'd be screwed waiting for whatever service station was closest to fix me.
Am I right to be annoyed that they don't just step up and fix a known problem rather than possibly inconveniencing me horribly? Seems like the cheap way out for them, and the annoying way out for me :/

(details)

Recall date
2020-11-30
Recall no.
20V746000
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2015-2016 Veloster, 2012 Santa Fe, 2011-2013 Sonata Hybrid, and 2016 Sonata Hybrid vehicles. The connecting rod bearings inside the engine may wear prematurely, which over time can result in engine damage.
Recall consequence
A damaged engine can increase the risk of a fire or it can cause an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
Recall action
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine. If bearing damage is found, the engine will be replaced. Dealers will also install a software update containing a new Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS). Repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 22, 2021. Owners may contact Hyundai customer
I have identical concerns and have no intention of complying. If I ever experience a problem related to this issue, I will address the issue with them at that time. Meanwhile, they will not be permitted to install a "computer virus" whose stated purpose is to interfere with the proper operation of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will get the update. If an issue does occur with the bearing or bearings, It won't cost much, maybe a rental car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received a mailing from Hyundai that said that they've extended the Power Train Warranty to 150,000, or 15 years(whichever comes first), ONLY for the connecting rod bearing issue Jeffw stated above, and it covers the 2nd, 3rd, etc. owner. My 2012 Veloster is included in this extension, but they are not recalling it....yet. What is happening in Madison, though, is that a they are backed up replacing entire engines. I found that out while talking to Hyundai Service while trying to get more information on the extension. He wouldn't say why they are replacing engines, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's related to the recall and/or extension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2013 non turbo in for the SW update recall. I bought mine used nearly five years ago, and its never run well. Im not hobbyist mechanic or tuner, so I don't have the tools to figure out exactly why. Anyways, after getting the SW update at the dealership, my car finally runs normal. I always suspected the previous owner tried to tune it, but did a horrible job. My car runs great now, other than the oil consumption issue, its actually fun to drive. Prior to this, it couldn't get out of its own way going downhill. I would say you're probably safe in getting the software updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my 2013 non turbo in for the SW update recall. I bought mine used nearly five years ago, and its never run well. Im not hobbyist mechanic or tuner, so I don't have the tools to figure out exactly why. Anyways, after getting the SW update at the dealership, my car finally runs normal. I always suspected the previous owner tried to tune it, but did a horrible job. My car runs great now, other than the oil consumption issue, its actually fun to drive. Prior to this, it couldn't get out of its own way going downhill. I would say you're probably safe in getting the software updated.
Good to hear!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got my notice in the mail today. Somehow they can send me this recall notice but they can't seem to get the right address to send me my cheque for 100,000km+ of fuel cost reimbursement for my 2013 VT. Lol.

·
Registered
2015 veloster turbo
3 Posts
If you don’t do the recall and, you have premature engine failure you will not be able to have an entire engine replaced free of charge so why wouldn’t you have the recall performed? It doesn’t make sense not too. All modern day cars put themselves in limp mode when they detect a sever issue so what you all are saying makes absolutely no sense

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Hyundai "whistle blower" got awarded 25 million a few months ago relative to recall issues and untimely notices to owners and data issues. Just know, that the engine recall just covers exactly that; and does not cover the Cat Converter (and your Dealer may argue that the Cat Converter caused the engine to fail when the case is vice-versa/engine failure prematurely wears out the Cat). I started to get the run around at first (hesitation on a new engine last July on the rod-bearing recall issue), with issues regarding reimbursement for almost $ 2,000.00 in repairs leading up to the failure, then issues with me having to pay myself for a rental car for 30-days because the dealer was out of loaners. If you are going through one of these issues with Hyundai, get an attorney to write some letters to Corporate/Dealer to put pressure on them. By way of my personal example, I never received a recall notice on my Veloster at any time in 2020 when I was having all these issues and did not get the recall notice, in the mail, until after I got my car back from the dealer with the new engine. Good Luck; it is a very frustrating process

1 - 12 of 12 Posts