Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! First: This pertains to a 2012 DCT Tranny

So I just need some input on some problems I'm having with my V, my dealership has been terrible at diagnosing my problems (You have no problem!). Here is what I've gone through, and if anyone else has had these problems, please let me know, because I'm freaking out right now!

So.. it starts off about a month ago; About a week after I PCS'd to my new base (I'm in the Air Force), I was driving home from work at about 30MPH when my car shuttered suddenly. No gear shifting, no acceleration, just a steady 30MPH. It was almost the feeling you get when you run out of fuel. I ignored this as a glitch, wrote it off for the next month until yesterday:

Wife and I are driving home from dinner going about 55-60MPH, and my V started the same shutter/hesitation. Didn't think anything of it until it happend again 30 seconds later, and happened one more time after that. Decided I would take the V into the dealership today, so I drove wife's car (boo!) to work. She decided that she would run to the commissary for some grub, and on the way back the V did the same shutter/hesitation. She freaked out and went immediately home. While she was pulling into the driveway, the V stalled/shut off completely. Electrically still on, but the engine cut out.

I picked the car up to bring to the shop, and on the way the car stalled in the middle of the road (which I assumed is the same stall that happened to her in the driveway).

I get to the dealership, they plug in the error code reader, and nothing pops. They tell me it's a glitch, and nothing to worry about, which I know is BS, BS, BS. The car reported no error, but that doesn't mean something is not wrong. They sent me packing.

I have a new call in with the service manager, and I need to see if anyone else has had these problems so maybe I can narrow this down and get my poor sick V repaired.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, but I really appreciate it!

TL;DR: Veloster feels like it's running out of gas when driving, has stalled a couple times in the middle of the road. Dealership read nothing with error reader, I know they're wrong, and I need help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When this is happening contact hit your Bluelink button and get them to run a diagnostic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes the situation you describe is exactly what has happened to my Veloster although it hasn't happened in over a week now other than sometimes seeming sluggish. My car also died at the light just idling waiting to turn. No codes tripped so the dealer told me nothing was wrong and sent me packing as well...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so, I dropped my vehicle back off to the dealership today. An hour ago they called me and started asking me if I had problems with a long crank after the engine had stalled, and I told them no. The mechanic then told me he was in contact with Hyundai and the only issue they know of is with an extended crank on key ignition.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this with the dealer? I feel as if they are just going to turn me around... should I just tell them to hold onto the car until they can replicate/diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When this is happening contact hit your Bluelink button and get them to run a diagnostic.
Would this really be any different than as if the dealer hooked a code reader into the car and ran a diagnostic? If there aren't any codes tripping, then I don't see how bluelink could see anything different... I guess it's worth a try though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Okay, so, I dropped my vehicle back off to the dealership today. An hour ago they called me and started asking me if I had problems with a long crank after the engine had stalled, and I told them no. The mechanic then told me he was in contact with Hyundai and the only issue they know of is with an extended crank on key ignition.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this with the dealer? I feel as if they are just going to turn me around... should I just tell them to hold onto the car until they can replicate/diagnose the problem?
YES, make them get you a loaner to drive until they sort the problem out and it's fixed to your satisfaction!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Update: so I got a call while at the gym, dealer says they have replicated the problem. Didn't have any loaners, but they sent me to enterprise for a retal that they've paid for until they diagnose and fix the car. I'll update again with the exact problem for you guys when I find out!

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Glad to hear they're finally taking it seriously......hope it works out more smoothly for you now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great Update: so I got a call while at the gym, dealer says they have replicated the problem. Didn't have any loaners, but they sent me to enterprise for a retal that they've paid for until they diagnose and fix the car. I'll update again with the exact problem for you guys when I find out!
Great to hear they stepped up to the plate and are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this with the dealer?
Yea, stop going to that dealer!
Contact another dealer, tell them your story, be honest, let them know you know something is wrong but so-and-so dealer can't seem to figure it out and you don't know where else to turn
Give them the opportunity to really earn your trust, and business

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Glad to hear they're finally taking it seriously......
Exactly!

The OP is much more patient than I, I would have gone to another dealer after only the 2nd attempt

Hope it gets sorted out quickly and there is no long delay waiting for parts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright everyone, so here is my bittersweet update:

Got a call from Hyundai today, they told me that they have fixed my car and it is ready to be picked up. They told me that they reset the transmission computer (I don't know the technical name?) and that my tranny fluid was 8oz under what it should be (and with the limited knowledge of cars that I possess, I understand that this shouldn't be what is causing my problem).

HOWEVER, they also told me that one of the tech's that was test driving my vehicle accidently side swiped one of their new cars in the parking lot. Told me to bring the rental back and they'll hook me up with a car to drive around until they fix the damage to mine.

I can't belive the customer service I've received at this dealer, so If any of you are in the St. Louis area, DO NOT deal with Auffenberg Hyundai. Take my woes as a word of caution.

And anyone else, definitely ask around to different dealers because as I've been told customer service can vary widly.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The first time I took my Bullitt back to the dealer (oil change); I drove up, pulled-into the "Service Line", and got out of the car & went in to the Service Desk.

I'd been at the desk about 2 minutes, waiting for the Service Writer to get off the phone, when a Tech comes in with a long look on his face, and he leans-against the podium, waiting to speak to the guy on the phone. He's there about 30-seconds, looks at me and says "Are YOU the owner of that Green Mustang out in the line?" Once I'd answered in the affirmative, he droops his shoulders, hangs his head and says "Could you come with me please, I've got something to SHOW to you...."

He'd backed another customer's Expedition into the front of my 6-week-old Bullitt (keep in mind I'd been at the Dealer all of maybe 80 or 90 seconds when it happened!), punching cleanly a 3"-square hole through the middle of the front-bumper. I started to get mad, but stopped myself, and thought about his position, and how much guts it took to admit to the mistake and show me himself - without the backing of his Boss(es). So, I sent him to fetch-up someone "In Charge". When the Service Manager "took over", THAT is the Beginning of when i started to Get Mad(TM).

I'll shorten the debacle to say that, it took nearly 9 weeks to get the damn car repaired (longer than I had owned it at the time!), and the paint-quality on the bumper has been NOTHING close to the Factory (although the colour-match was pretty good). Very little of the "problem" was due to the Body Shop. At least I had the car to drive (with a giant fecking HOLE in the bumper) while I waited.

I do not use Joplin Ford for Anything, and advise you not to as well.

Anyone can make a Mistake. Even a couple of them. Let them fix this. If they don't seem to care if you're satisfied they're doing their level-best to correct it, then file any/all complaints about your experience with Hyundai USA, and simply quit using them. Go out of your way to get another Dealer, and let THAT Dealer know how this one F'd-Up.

Warn against using them to others. Post warning-stories about your experience on BB's like this one. Let THEM know that, yeah - they screwed up: but it was the WAY THEY HANDLED IT that really, REALLY pyssed you off....

(if it comes down to this)

Just wanted to vent, as every time something comes up like this, it boils my blood once more.

Meh.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Alright everyone, so here is my bittersweet update:

Got a call from Hyundai today, they told me that they have fixed my car and it is ready to be picked up. They told me that they reset the transmission computer (I don't know the technical name?) and that my tranny fluid was 8oz under what it should be (and with the limited knowledge of cars that I possess, I understand that this shouldn't be what is causing my problem).

HOWEVER, they also told me that one of the tech's that was test driving my vehicle accidently side swiped one of their new cars in the parking lot. Told me to bring the rental back and they'll hook me up with a car to drive around until they fix the damage to mine.

I can't belive the customer service I've received at this dealer, so If any of you are in the St. Louis area, DO NOT deal with Auffenberg Hyundai. Take my woes as a word of caution.

And anyone else, definitely ask around to different dealers because as I've been told customer service can vary widly.
I would be calling corporate, screw that dealership!

·
Registered
393 Posts
OUCH!! Tell them u want brand new car since it has issue and then they damage it and you WANT fresh one for all the troubles.

....and here is the damage:

'tis a shame, brand new car, and crashed by my damn dealer!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey, it never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Warranty covers the DCT problem, dealer's insurance covers the damage. The situation sucks, for sure, but I wouldn't expect anything more than some kind of extra compensation, like free services for X amount of time, or some accessories, gas card, etc. And I'd only expect that if you asked for something to sweeten the deal/mend the wounds. Otherwise, I'd look for another dealer if you completely lack confidence with this one. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how they handle it that matters IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's my problem, the customer service wasn't terrible,however, everything I've gone through, everything that they've done to my car... has been trouble. I mean, they told me that in order to reset the transmission, one of the steps was that they needed to hold it at 6000RPM for 30 seconds. However, the tech had to keep starting over, so he did this 3 times, for a grand total of (you guessed it!) a minute and a half. Is this even safe?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts