Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get a new battery, lasted 4 and a half years i guess, original seems rather puny and cheap, 410 CCA and now i have 680 CCA.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
My first battery lasted 37 months which was pretty good. My previous 4 new Nissans came with a batteries that never lasted longer than 2 years. When I hit the 3 year mark I knew it would need to be replaced soon. The long hot summer takes a real toll on batteries.

Higher CCA numbers don't always mean you have a better battery. Here's a link to an online article regarding this.

Battery School | Batteriesnorthwest.com | Don't Be Misled By Battery Ratings

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine is three years old, its doing fine, but I will be replacing it.

The highest quality most durable batteries made in the USA are made by Johnson Controls. I know this fact from the boating world and their Marine long lasting deep core batts.

Johnson Controls makes:
Autozones DURALAST GOLD batteries which are warrantied for 5 years
Sears DIE HARD PLATNIUM series.

So as you can see, they don't **** around. A AUTOZONE H5 DURALAST GOLD is 115.00 with core turn in. Not bad for 5 years of confidence.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Super Stocker said:
..... A AUTOZONE H5 DURALAST GOLD is 115.00 with core turn in. Not bad for 5 years of confidence.
AZ's H5-DLG is 169.99 here. The H6-DLG is the proper fit (per the AZ we site) for my 2012 and it is 161.99. I paid 108.48 for the same battery that came with the car. The savings are neglible and if I think I might trade in my car I would buy something even cheaper.

·
weekend racer
6,607 Posts
NAV was 18 months, VT is going on 28 months.

·
Registered
186 Posts
AZ's H5-DLG is 169.99 here. The H6-DLG is the proper fit (per the AZ we site) for my 2012 and it is 161.99. I paid 108.48 for the same battery that came with the car. The savings are neglible and if I think I might trade in my car I would buy something even cheaper.
Take the wisdom or leave it,..from the other forum. One of the guys did a thread,...bought the H-6,...it does NOT fit. Went back got the H5. AUTO ZONES site info is wrong.

Sorry Fla prices are so high.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm still driving with the original battery (car is a 2012) but when my moonroof was replaced they tested it and said it is getting weak. Don't know if that means it will last another month or another year...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The replacement battery listed was a whole lot bigger, i didn't think it was going to fit, if it had of been a millimeter bigger it might not of, but it used every available mill..... The battery is an H6, cranking amps at 0 celcius are 835 and cold cranking amps at -18 c are 680. It's definitely as good as the OEM.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
.. Don't know if that means it will last another month or another year...
Doesn't really matter .. it'll die when you least expect it, under the worst conditions, in the middle of nowhere, and when they're not on sale ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I looked at my battery and it looks very tightly in place. I could see no easy way to remove it. I wonder if someone could enlighten me on how to remove the battery. Is there stuff that needs to be moved out of the way to get the battery out?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Maybe it's just really, really heavy ;)

There's a hold down clamp and bolt between the air-box and battery (front side of battery)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly 4 years 11 months and 28 days. Got a new OEM battery from the new Hyundai Dealer down the street.

Also to the post about JC batteries, LMFAO! Those pos monstrosities are weak and less that 10% are built in USA. When Optima got bought out by those tools, their batteries went to Mexico and turned to crap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My battery is 2.5 years old (OEM). It's still running fine but I'm thinking of swapping it out for a lithium after hearing multiple sources say that they do better in the cold. Has anyone else swapped for lithium?

My general rule of thumb is to change a battery the first time it needs jumped. On my first car (not a Vel, but I still feel this is entertaining enough to share) I had the battery die and went to get a new one but I had no neighbors nearby and it was too cold to walk far so I threw it in the oven for 10 minutes (just enough to make it uncomfortably hot but not quite painful and not enough to melt it). I got to the local auto parts store and brought my battery in. The guy manning the store looked at me in shock, telling me that the battery was 12 years old.
I've never seen another 12 year old battery and wonder if the battery had just been put in with the wrong date but that seems unlikely since I had no recollection of ever changing it before.

Batteries can last a ridiculous amount of time if you keep it above 50%. If it dies and you need to start it but don't have available jumpers and spare car, throw it in the oven for a short amount of time. Five minutes should do; ten minutes for older or weaker ovens. If it starts getting too hot to touch, take it out immediately. Yes, this is bad for a battery but once it dies, it has been irreparably damaged already and might as well be replaced.

Edit: Lithium batteries have much more explosive tendencies so this should only be attempted with lead-acid (and only in an emergency). You should be able to heat Li-Ions up a fair amount since engine compartments get pretty hot in the summer (even with the car off) so the same rule might work but I would be very cautious.

·
weekend racer
6,607 Posts
my VT battery lasted 4.5 years. it was cheaper to replace with hyundai than at a parts store.

·
Super Moderator
4,333 Posts
I threw it in the oven for 10 minutes (just enough to make it uncomfortably hot but not quite painful and not enough to melt it).

throw it in the oven for a short amount of time. Five minutes should do; ten minutes for older or weaker ovens. If it starts getting too hot to touch, take it out immediately.
Do we need to baste it?
🦃

1 - 20 of 26 Posts