Veloster Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

For the past weeks, I was without my 2013 Veloster because I was having the sunroof pan replaced. My car was suffering from humidity before I discovered that most of the South Florida rain had been soaked up by my entire floor insulation. Upon inspection, I realized that my sunroof had completely rusted out, allowing for rain to drop into the roof trim, then follow along the weatherstrip, onto the floor of the passenger footwell, and then eventually to the rest of my car.
Luckily, I was able to get the sunroof replaced and dried most of the car out. Unfortunately, the humidity combined with the Florida sun had caused the touchscreen of my radio to warp; effectively forcing touch over the "end call" part of the screen. Not being able to control the radio and having my calls forced to end was driving me nuts.

I removed the unit and opened it up, but discovered the LG display part would have been 120 bucks to replace, roughly the same price as buying a pre-owned unit. I figured I'd buy another unit straight off eBay.

*Why not aftermarket?
- I didn't like the eccentricities involved with aftermarket parts, and I was worried to lose functionality from my steering wheel.
To my surprise, the unit I received from the eBay seller had built-in navigation, a slightly faster unit with media buttons on the left and a new set of navigation buttons on the right.

I figured I couldn't utilize the fancy navigation on the new radio. I have long read about how the year of my base model never came with the GPS antenna plug under the dash. Either way, I didn't care much for the GPS navigation, I've always used my phone anyhow since my 2013 Veloster was plagued with the awful Bluelink service.

After I plugged the unit in, I was content with having a slightly polished unit compared to my old one. I was also fortunate to have an XM radio subscription with some time left from the last owner. Although, it bothered me that this seemingly nice navigation feature was rendered useless by a simple lack of extension.
I researched throughout the forums and even asked the dealer, everybody told me that they'd have to install a new antenna, harness, too much labor, etc. "It's just easier to aftermarket".

I researched the accepting port of the GPS antenna on the head unit and discovered it was called a "Fakra" female port. After that, it didn't take long before I was able to find a small GPS antenna with the exact male end.

Can't seem to post the link, it's called an Xtenzi Navigation Fakra Antenna

Today it arrived and I had it installed. I removed the fascia panel, pulled out the radio, ran the end of the male end of the cable through my glovebox, and connected it into the unit. I put everything back together and left the GPS antenna to sit in the glove box. At first, when I turned the car on, I noticed that the "GPS clock" option had been enabled for me but my location still showed Ohio (where the previous owner of the head unit was) upon the route/navigation menu. I went inside the house to find a paper clip to reset the radio, but when I had turned on the car again, I could see that the GPS had corrected my location to my house. It worked! Plus, the antenna can get a pretty good signal from just sitting nice and neat inside my glove box. I even went to Home Depot and back with the navigation page open along the way. Not a single issue so far.

View attachment 131832
View attachment 131835
While I know that most people don't replace their Veloster radios with another stock one, I can confidently say you can upgrade your non-navigation head unit for one with navigation and slap in this antenna to make it work. It's a clean install, no fumbling with aftermarket nonsense, and it's a "nice to have" feature.
In my case, I had to replace my radio anyhow, but it's nice to feel like I kinda upgraded my 7-year old car at the same time. If you're able to do this easy install to add navigation to your car, you can always brag about how it's designed for Mercedes and Audi (more oh la las for those who give a crap about stuff like that).

- GPS antenna only cost me $12
- Replacement Unit was $165, but you can probably get it much cheaper.

This is my first thread on the forums, not a perfect write-up but I'll answer as best I can.

Helloo I havea 2016 velsoter and wanted to do teh same thing but when I pluged in teh radio it caused all kinds of things to go worng. When I contacted teh dealer they said it could not be done so I returned the unit and re-installed the old unit, the reason is
Hey everyone,

For the past weeks, I was without my 2013 Veloster because I was having the sunroof pan replaced. My car was suffering from humidity before I discovered that most of the South Florida rain had been soaked up by my entire floor insulation. Upon inspection, I realized that my sunroof had completely rusted out, allowing for rain to drop into the roof trim, then follow along the weatherstrip, onto the floor of the passenger footwell, and then eventually to the rest of my car.
Luckily, I was able to get the sunroof replaced and dried most of the car out. Unfortunately, the humidity combined with the Florida sun had caused the touchscreen of my radio to warp; effectively forcing touch over the "end call" part of the screen. Not being able to control the radio and having my calls forced to end was driving me nuts.

I removed the unit and opened it up, but discovered the LG display part would have been 120 bucks to replace, roughly the same price as buying a pre-owned unit. I figured I'd buy another unit straight off eBay.

*Why not aftermarket?
- I didn't like the eccentricities involved with aftermarket parts, and I was worried to lose functionality from my steering wheel.
To my surprise, the unit I received from the eBay seller had built-in navigation, a slightly faster unit with media buttons on the left and a new set of navigation buttons on the right.

I figured I couldn't utilize the fancy navigation on the new radio. I have long read about how the year of my base model never came with the GPS antenna plug under the dash. Either way, I didn't care much for the GPS navigation, I've always used my phone anyhow since my 2013 Veloster was plagued with the awful Bluelink service.

After I plugged the unit in, I was content with having a slightly polished unit compared to my old one. I was also fortunate to have an XM radio subscription with some time left from the last owner. Although, it bothered me that this seemingly nice navigation feature was rendered useless by a simple lack of extension.
I researched throughout the forums and even asked the dealer, everybody told me that they'd have to install a new antenna, harness, too much labor, etc. "It's just easier to aftermarket".

I researched the accepting port of the GPS antenna on the head unit and discovered it was called a "Fakra" female port. After that, it didn't take long before I was able to find a small GPS antenna with the exact male end.

Today it arrived and I had it installed. I removed the fascia panel, pulled out the radio, ran the end of the male end of the cable through my glovebox, and connected it into the unit. I put everything back together and left the GPS antenna to sit in the glove box. At first, when I turned the car on, I noticed that the "GPS clock" option had been enabled for me but my location still showed Ohio (where the previous owner of the head unit was) upon the route/navigation menu. I went inside the house to find a paper clip to reset the radio, but when I had turned on the car again, I could see that the GPS had corrected my location to my house. It worked! Plus, the antenna can get a pretty good signal from just sitting nice and neat inside my glove box. I even went to Home Depot and back with the navigation page open along the way. Not a single issue so far.

View attachment 131832
View attachment 131835
While I know that most people don't replace their Veloster radios with another stock one, I can confidently say you can upgrade your non-navigation head unit for one with navigation and slap in this antenna to make it work. It's a clean install, no fumbling with aftermarket nonsense, and it's a "nice to have" feature.
In my case, I had to replace my radio anyhow, but it's nice to feel like I kinda upgraded my 7-year old car at the same time. If you're able to do this easy install to add navigation to your car, you can always brag about how it's designed for Mercedes and Audi (more oh la las for those who give a crap about stuff like that).

This is my first thread on the forums, not a perfect write-up but I'll answer as best I c
He
Hey everyone,

*Why not aftermarket?

View attachment 131832
View attachment 131835

This is my first thread on the forums, not a perfect write-up but I'll answer as best I can.

I tried this but was did not work, dealer said it could not be done. What did you do differently? did you have teh re-set teh unit with teh paper clip? once I had teh new head unit installed teh car would not start and teh dash lite up like a Christmas tree?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I have a 2016 RSpec

·
Registered
8 Posts
Technically, you can install an OEM backup camera if you buy the parts and run the wires behind the trims and the carpeted floor. This would mean you'd have to remove all your seats and some interior trim to eventually fish the wires to the backside of the head unit. You'd have to buy the tailgate rearview emblem/camera piece, then you'd have to replace the actual button to one with the camera connector. I wonder if the existing wiring would send that signal over though, I'd have to look ever the service manual.

When I took out all my seats to redo the interior to leather, I noticed that I could have done just that. But I park backward into every parking spot so I never have to worry about backing up as much.
Did you ever get an “incorrect telematics unit” error message? I installed an OEM NAV unit with that exact antenna. Works perfectly besides the message and no gracenote.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts