Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

For the past weeks, I was without my 2013 Veloster because I was having the sunroof pan replaced. My car was suffering from humidity before I discovered that most of the South Florida rain had been soaked up by my entire floor insulation. Upon inspection, I realized that my sunroof had completely rusted out, allowing for rain to drop into the roof trim, then follow along the weatherstrip, onto the floor of the passenger footwell, and then eventually to the rest of my car.
Luckily, I was able to get the sunroof replaced and dried most of the car out. Unfortunately, the humidity combined with the Florida sun had caused the touchscreen of my radio to warp; effectively forcing touch over the "end call" part of the screen. Not being able to control the radio and having my calls forced to end was driving me nuts.

I removed the unit and opened it up, but discovered the LG display part would have been 120 bucks to replace, roughly the same price as buying a pre-owned unit. I figured I'd buy another unit straight off eBay.

*Why not aftermarket?
- I didn't like the eccentricities involved with aftermarket parts, and I was worried to lose functionality from my steering wheel.
To my surprise, the unit I received from the eBay seller had built-in navigation, a slightly faster unit with media buttons on the left and a new set of navigation buttons on the right.

I figured I couldn't utilize the fancy navigation on the new radio. I have long read about how the year of my base model never came with the GPS antenna plug under the dash. Either way, I didn't care much for the GPS navigation, I've always used my phone anyhow since my 2013 Veloster was plagued with the awful Bluelink service.

After I plugged the unit in, I was content with having a slightly polished unit compared to my old one. I was also fortunate to have an XM radio subscription with some time left from the last owner. Although, it bothered me that this seemingly nice navigation feature was rendered useless by a simple lack of extension.
I researched throughout the forums and even asked the dealer, everybody told me that they'd have to install a new antenna, harness, too much labor, etc. "It's just easier to aftermarket".

I researched the accepting port of the GPS antenna on the head unit and discovered it was called a "Fakra" female port. After that, it didn't take long before I was able to find a small GPS antenna with the exact male end.

Can't seem to post the link, it's called an Xtenzi Navigation Fakra Antenna

Today it arrived and I had it installed. I removed the fascia panel, pulled out the radio, ran the end of the male end of the cable through my glovebox, and connected it into the unit. I put everything back together and left the GPS antenna to sit in the glove box. At first, when I turned the car on, I noticed that the "GPS clock" option had been enabled for me but my location still showed Ohio (where the previous owner of the head unit was) upon the route/navigation menu. I went inside the house to find a paper clip to reset the radio, but when I had turned on the car again, I could see that the GPS had corrected my location to my house. It worked! Plus, the antenna can get a pretty good signal from just sitting nice and neat inside my glove box. I even went to Home Depot and back with the navigation page open along the way. Not a single issue so far.

20190722_170703 (2).jpg

While I know that most people don't replace their Veloster radios with another stock one, I can confidently say you can upgrade your non-navigation head unit for one with navigation and slap in this antenna to make it work. It's a clean install, no fumbling with aftermarket nonsense, and it's a "nice to have" feature.
In my case, I had to replace my radio anyhow, but it's nice to feel like I kinda upgraded my 7-year old car at the same time. If you're able to do this easy install to add navigation to your car, you can always brag about how it's designed for Mercedes and Audi (more oh la las for those who give a crap about stuff like that).

- GPS antenna only cost me $12
- Replacement Unit was $165, but you can probably get it much cheaper.

This is my first thread on the forums, not a perfect write-up but I'll answer as best I can.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts
nice!!! thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very cool - thanks for the write-up. Do you recall what model year of replacement unit you bought? I heard that there is some connector pin changes between model years, but not sure what years...2016 and up maybe?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool - thanks for the write-up. Do you recall what model year of replacement unit you bought? I heard that there is some connector pin changes between model years, but not sure what years...2016 and up maybe?
I messaged the seller on eBay but he hasn't gotten back to me. This is a picture of the model info though.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts
looks like a pre-2016 unit.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hey everyone,

For the past weeks, I was without my 2013 Veloster because I was having the sunroof pan replaced. My car was suffering from humidity before I discovered that most of the South Florida rain had been soaked up by my entire floor insulation. Upon inspection, I realized that my sunroof had completely rusted out, allowing for rain to drop into the roof trim, then follow along the weatherstrip, onto the floor of the passenger footwell, and then eventually to the rest of my car.
Luckily, I was able to get the sunroof replaced and dried most of the car out. Unfortunately, the humidity combined with the Florida sun had caused the touchscreen of my radio to warp; effectively forcing touch over the "end call" part of the screen. Not being able to control the radio and having my calls forced to end was driving me nuts.
One of the original members of this forum (and from south Florida) alerted us to the fact that the very first Veloster had this sunroof issue. It was his warning that made me look on the 3rd anniversary of ownership. I found rust in the sunroof pan. It was replaced, and to date, no sign of recurrence. I've posted many times warning those who have sunroofs to check beneath the molding for rust. It is very obvious as you probably know. The OP and I both have 2012's and I wasn't sure the problem extended beyond that model year. But, if you have a 13, then obviously it did continue. To check, simply lift up the molding at the corners and you'll see obvious rust or you won't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the original members of this forum (and from south Florida) alerted us to the fact that the very first Veloster had this sunroof issue. It was his warning that made me look on the 3rd anniversary of ownership. I found rust in the sunroof pan. It was replaced, and to date, no sign of recurrence. I've posted many times warning those who have sunroofs to check beneath the molding for rust. It is very obvious as you probably know. The OP and I both have 2012's and I wasn't sure the problem extended beyond that model year. But, if you have a 13, then obviously it did continue. To check, simply lift up the molding at the corners and you'll see obvious rust or you won't.

Mine must have been rusted for quite a while before the water started to come in, I only noticed because I thought I had to clean the infamous drain holes that come with other sunroofs. The problem is that Hyundai never bothered to design a proper drain line/slope for the panoramic roof, so the sealant used on the rails just sits in a puddle of water.

If it wasn't for Hyundai covering the repair, I would have just removed the sunroof altogether and replace it with the standard roof panel. My dealership was kind, but they said they'd never seen a Veloster without the sunroof and a sunroof as rusted out as I had it. The pieces for the sunroof alone can easily become $2000, not to mention the amount of work involved. On the other hand, I would have been able to buy the roof panel from a parts distributor for $500. Luckily, they covered the repair and some of the bodywork, but I'm still paranoid about water and rust for the future. It seems kind of silly that Hyundai would rely solely upon a sealant to prevent water from coming in.

For good measure, I might just become the guy who covers his car with a cover. The rain is relentless in these parts; it's only a matter of time, I feel.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts
my 3 year old corolla S, with 60K miles, had the same trouble with the sunroof. it was initially why i traded it in for my NAV.

Reactions: MetroMule

·
Registered
31 Posts
...I figured I couldn't utilize the fancy navigation on the new radio. I have long read about how the year of my base model never came with the GPS antenna plug under the dash. Either way, I didn't care much for the GPS navigation, I've always used my phone anyhow since my 2013 Veloster was plagued with the awful Bluelink service.
So did your nav originally come with the Dimension Audio package? Or did you end up disassembling some of the internals of the two and reassembling them?
I'm just curious. I bought my nav used, and it didn't come with the upgraded audio. And the power button would only do volume. So I found a used unit online for relatively cheap, turned ut to be an upgraded head unit with no internal amp. So even though it would power up, I had no audio as I don't have the external amp. I ended up just changing the face-plate.
Or am I missing something in my understanding of the audio systems, in that it was possible to get the navigation feature without it being the upgraded Dimension audio?

If this sounds confusing, it's because I am confused.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a bit confused.
My car already came with dimension speakers. My old touch screen was the OEM basic radio. I had bluetooth, xm, and dimension audio (I have the dreaded buzzy speakers). I removed it since it was busted and was able to connect an OEM radio that had navigation, despite I didn't have the GPS antenna connection.

I'm not sure what you have on your NAV unit though, maybe a picture would give me a better idea of your issue.

·
weekend racer
7,392 Posts
there are different packages available on the non turbo, base model doesn't get the external amp while STYLE does get it and TECH goes one step further with navigation plus the external amp.

·
Registered
295 Posts
there are different packages available on the non turbo, base model doesn't get the external amp while STYLE does get it and TECH goes one step further with navigation plus the external amp.
Just revisiting this thread - so there are no base model navigation units using an internal amp? I have the base, no external amp but wouldn't mind getting navigation, but without throwing an aftermarket headunit in

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just get a radio unit that does have navigation and buy the aftermarket GPS antenna, should work fine. Do you have a picture of what you've got right now?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a standard (non Dimension Audio) headunit, internal amp - pics attached. I happen to have mine out as I disassembled to clean gunk out from behind the touchscreen. If the one you bought is a Dimension headunit with navigation, is it possible you have an amp under the passenger seat?

20190922_093422.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
My understanding that the pins changed in either 2015 or 2016, get a unit from a 2016 or 2017 to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That seems almost identical to the one I had in my car, and I have the dimension package. I would just get one with navigation off ebay and test it out, ideally something you can return if it's not a perfect fit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That seems almost identical to the one I had in my car, and I have the dimension package. I would just get one with navigation off ebay and test it out, ideally something you can return if it's not a perfect fit.
I might try that. I contemplated getting an aftermarket Chinese unit with navigation and android, etc, but not comfortable with the longevity/reliability concerns and getting the steering wheel controls working, etc.

I wonder how similar the main PCB's are...might be able to transfer the GPS board and associated electronics from an ebay unit into my headunit...Might be interesting to try. That way I keep my amp'd headunit

·
Registered
1 Posts
My understanding that the pins changed in either 2015 or 2016, get a unit from a 2016 or 2017 to work.
Just picked up a 2017 nav unit for my 2016 VT. No dice, gotta repin it. Looking for the schematics now, I'll let you know if I'm successful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will this also work if I want to install an OEM backup camera? I’m a new Veloster owner and I do not have navigation or a backup camera. Therefore, my stereo did not come with the camera hookups so I will have to replace the stereo with one that does. I want to go all original, no aftermarket. I would also have to buy the original hatchback handle camera piece as well. Is it possible to make this happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Technically, you can install an OEM backup camera if you buy the parts and run the wires behind the trims and the carpeted floor. This would mean you'd have to remove all your seats and some interior trim to eventually fish the wires to the backside of the head unit. You'd have to buy the tailgate rearview emblem/camera piece, then you'd have to replace the actual button to one with the camera connector. I wonder if the existing wiring would send that signal over though, I'd have to look ever the service manual.

When I took out all my seats to redo the interior to leather, I noticed that I could have done just that. But I park backward into every parking spot so I never have to worry about backing up as much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts