Veloster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, you just bought a car, something showroom fresh with fewer miles on the odometer than a new pair of shoes.

Naturally, you’ll want to do everything you can to protect this investment. Properly breaking the engine in will do its part to help ensure a long and trouble-free life.

But opinions differ on how this should be accomplished. Some experts advocate performing a hard break-in. This includes a certain amount of heavy acceleration during the vehicle’s first few miles. The goal of this is to force piston rings against cylinder walls so these metal parts can seat before the bores’ honing marks are worn away. Done properly, this supposedly results in an engine that produces more power and lasts longer.
How do you guys break in your new car's engine? Read more at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
229 Posts
The problem is, you rarely get a new car with literally a few miles on the odometer. Mine had 77 miles. 77 miles of mostly test-drives, I suppose. So much of it might have been the infamous hard break-in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mine started with 6 miles and test drive to 22 miles then drove home,

don't lug the engine if a manual.
vary your rpms
don't redline/race

change oil at 1,000ish miles to a quality oil and enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
weekend racer
6,460 Posts
here is what the manual states for the non turbo.

vbreakin.png

personally, the NAV had a few hundred miles on it already as it was the demo car but it was very strong. i broke the VT in hard from 5 miles, and it's still rewarding to drive everyday. even almost completely stock its stellar. 63K on it now.

on the few engines ive rebuilt in my time, ive always broken them in hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
RPW00Mirage
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing