Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was coming home, and I've been really really getting in rhythm with the new car's shifts, and came home after work....spirited.

I was at the last intersection before I got home, and a new gundam-inspired Honda Civic Sports was in front of me. I think he took the sound of my exhaust as I pulled up behind him at the light as an invitation to play. When the light turned green, I chirped my tires a bit and with that cue he started off the line quickly. I don't street race or anything, but since he seemed to think I was challenging him or something, I figured I'd stick on his back until my turn to my subdivision a couple blocks up.

I got to right before the forth shift before I gave up and turned in. You could tell he was pushing the car, but it really surprised me how slow the Civic was. My first shift from first to second was quick, but I soon realized mid second gear that the Civic was really struggling. Like, having to take my foot off the gas a few times to decelerate enough to not feel the need to push into him.

I looked it up when I got home that they are indeed quite a bit slower than the 2020 Turbos. For some reason I hadn't really thought of the two cars as being of two different classes, and was just a nice and pleasant surprise. The Civic chose poorly.

Anywhon don't race, kids.

Cough, especially if you live across the street from a police station. All's well that ends well, though! 馃槄

Registered
I love a good street race story. 馃槏
Was the Civic a stick or auto?

195 hp for the Hyundai compared to 158 for the Civic sport. With 2800 lb on the Civic I can see where it would strain a bit. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it was stick. Too much hang between shifts for it to be an auto.

And yeah, the car is also really tall by comparison. I couldn't see much over the trunk lid.

Registered
The Civic is a fair bit LARGER than the V as well. At 158HP, I daresay, easily dusted by at Turbo. Even more so by the lighter R Spec.

Registered
If a turbo Veloster doesn't beat a Civic Sport, the Veloster driver doesn't know how to drive. The Honda Civic Sport is a mildly sportier Civic. It doesn't have more power than a standard. It maybe has slight gearing, suspension and trim/non-performance upgrades that make it feel a bit sportier but really don't improve performance much if any. The closest thing to a Veloster Turbo in the Honda world is the Civic Si. The Civic and Civic Sport would be more in line with an NA Veloster. But they would probably beat that.

Registered
Interesting thing about the new Civic Sports. The guys that run new Civics in autocross that are modding out of Street (stock) class, quite a few of them are starting with the Sport model rather than the Si model. I don't know if it is because they like the hatchback body or it could be that since they are replacing parts anyway, it is easier/cheaper to start with the Sport model?

weekend racer

Registered
They are if stock, but I'm talking about the people modifying them way out of the basic street classes. They're the guys going all the way to SMS classes and beyond.

weekend racer
ahhh.. you got me. we don't see them out here. isnt the sport the same body as the R? maybe that is it... parts availability.

we had a supercharged 9th gen for awhile. we were pretty close most of the time when i went back to 200tw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts