Veloster Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
62K on mine (7/20/11 build date, I bought it 10/8/11) First out-of-60K warranty problem is the windshield washer pump started leaking at the T-valve where the front/rear washer hoses attach. Have to replace the pump, can get OEM for around $37. Takes about a half hour to fix, most of that is spent jacking it up to take the wheel off and the splash shield out.

Other than that, have calculated every tankful since brand new, have a lifetime average of 33.3 mpg, with a high of 37.2, low of 30.1. I don't hypermile or even try to, I just drive it however the situation demands. Have performed every service with OEM parts. It's showing every indication that it has many many more miles to go. Brakes look like they'll make 100K, zero oil leaks, clutch still feels normal.

I run a bottle of Techron through it every 6K miles, and do a Seafoam treatment every 30K.

If this car doesn't make it to 200K miles considering the way I maintain it, then I bought the wrong car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm at 123k miles. Runes smooth drive terrain is southern California. Veloster na auto transmission. Besides some low rpm clitter noises. It's running strong. 5k miles oil changes synthetic. Recently at 120k did transmission drain n refill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 hyundai veloster with 189,000 miles on it and have had less issues with it than my 1999 toyota tacoma with 200,000 on it. Have changed all fluids, oil, gear oil, brake fluid to full synthetic and use only non ethanol fuel with royal purple octane booster once a month and it still drives great....better than new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a major repair around 50K. The gears stopped working and then the car died. Luckily, it was 90% covered by the warranty and I was out $200. One the 100,000 mile warranty expired, all hell broke loose. The warranty on my 2013 V expired in October of 2017, so about 1 1/2 years ago. Since then, I've had 4 major repairs ranging $700-1800. Had to replace both O2 sensors, the catalytic converter, the AC compressor, and it's currently in the shop with a snapped serpentine belt due to a seized AC compressor pulley. Repair estimate is $1700. Thankfully, I no longer have a car payment, but last year I shelled out $3000 on repairs. Maybe mine's special, but I didn't have too many issues until 100,000 miles. I live in L.A., and had a job that required a lot of driving, so I put miles on my car quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
210,××× miles on my 14 nav dct.. good preventative maintenance is essential!!!!
Don't skip out, use quality parts (oil, plugs, filters, etc.) I prefer to use PURE gasoline (ethanol free) because it drastically reduces the amount of carbon emissions and also better mpg than regular fuel.. GDI+ETHANOL = alot of carbon emissions! (The proof is on your exhaust tips)... I have 4× more carbon on my exhaust tips when using regular fuel compared to ethanol free fuel..

·
Registered
19 Posts
2012 hyundai veloster with 189,000 miles on it and have had less issues with it than my 1999 toyota tacoma with 200,000 on it. Have changed all fluids, oil, gear oil, brake fluid to full synthetic and use only non ethanol fuel with royal purple octane booster once a month and it still drives great....better than new.
2014 nav base dct w/210,xxx miles

Ethanol free fuel is the best option. Carbon emissions are drastically reduced compared to ANY fuel containing ethanol! (The proof is on the exhaust tips) I've done numerous tests on this theory and time after time the regular fuel (with ethanol) produced ALOT more (4x) carbon build up (on my exhaust tips) than "pure" gas!!! Also better mpg!! Pure gas is a win win when it comes to gdi motors...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oil consumption is ridiculous.. 210,xxx miles on my 2014 nav base dct ... 1qt about every 500-700 miles... my oil is never dirty cause I'm constantly adding to it..lol.. if I didn't have to change the oil filter I would never do another oil change on this car again because the oil does not get dirty because it burns off or whatever the hell happens to it because it does not leak and I have no smoke go figure that

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oil consumption is ridiculous.. 210,xxx miles on my 2014 nav base dct ... 1qt about every 500-700 miles... my oil is never dirty cause I'm constantly adding to it..lol.. if I didn't have to change the oil filter I would never do another oil change on this car again because the oil does not get dirty because it burns off or whatever the hell happens to it because it does not leak and I have no smoke go figure that
Saturns were famous for oil use - there is a oil control ring on the piston that gunked up, causing oil use, without seeing blue smoke. Some people did "piston soaks" where they pulled the spark plugs, added a couple ounces of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, or Berryman B12 Chemtool and let it sit overnight, or even longer, then cranked for a second or so, blowing the remaining solvent out, put plugs back in. Some people drastically cut their oil consumption on their Saturns. Do a google search for Saturn oil use. It could also be valve stem seals. Maybe try Restore engine restorer and lubricant - some people have had luck with it helping valve seals.

Knowing how the Velosters throw soot out the exhaust it might be worth looking into trying a treatment for the oil rings.

210K miles is getting up there. Might need some love. Some Saturn owners just keep adding oil - and are getting over 500K miles on those old engines

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at 123k miles. Runes smooth drive terrain is southern California. Veloster na auto transmission. Besides some low rpm clitter noises. It's running strong. 5k miles oil changes synthetic. Recently at 120k did transmission drain n refill.
Hello, I have the 2012 Veloster DCT tranny at 118k miles. I've had several problems with it since I purchased it as the second owner about half a year ago. I had to doan engine rebuild such as replacing all the gaskets, valve seals, pistons and piston rings, replacements on both fuel pumps (regular and high pressure pump on engine)...$2,500 later, the car is running like new for the most part but I'm worried the transmission is going to give out now. I read how your car shutters at low rpm and my v does the same thing, I always thought it was the dct automatic with that issue. Mine tends to stutter in stop and go traffic while in first gear. I haven't read anything about hyundai dct's going bad after 100k but give me and update on your v if you could, thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2012? you probably haven't read of any going bad after 100k because they don't make it that long. That would be a record. 1st year had lots of problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 just turned 100k miles. No problems. Doesn't use any oil in 5k mile oil changes.
Changed spark plugs last weekend and will be changing serpentine belt next good weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got to add that i just hit 80k and have had no issues in the time i had it.
I only drive around 4k a year with it but most of that is start stop and barely heating the engine in the winter and 100+ temps all day in summer

I whent through 4 used alternators in 2 months but that was a fluke.
Steering coupler was replaced but again, a lot of city driving aswell

So far this car has been the most reliable i have ever owned and i tend to trash them but lady v never let me down

21 - 37 of 37 Posts