Veloster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went through this whole ordeal with getting a locksmith out to get my door opened at 11pm a couple nights ago.

I opened my trunk by touching the button, threw my bag with my keys and everything in, and shut it... got locked out.

I said that wont happen to me ever again, so I was thinking about putting in one of those hide-a-key things with my extra fob. please dont tell me where yours is or how you did it because that is kind of dangerous haha..
I was just seeing if any of you guys knew a website where you can find a hide-a-key box that goes with key fobs (not the actual key since we dont have one). from there I can find a way to rig it so it is undetectable, even if you know it's there somewhere.

thanks! hopefully you dont have to deal with this!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Could just use a normal hide a key box, just remove the physical key, its small enough, don't need the whole FOB...

Not to mention, anyone could access the car more than likely... assuming proximity key here....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Couldn't have been a proximity key.
I suppose, but why need a hide a box for the FOB then ? Just use the key ????

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
(not the actual key since we dont have one).
Yes, we do have keys in both fobs. Press the button on the fob and pull the key out. We have them in case the batteries to the fob dies, or perhaps some radio signal interference is disabling the fob.

I just tested my fob out and by tossing it into the back making sure my doors were locked first. The tailights start flashing and there is a buzzing noise and the doors unlock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I wasnt sure the key inside the fob would fit the slim boxes they sell with the silver piece at the end of the key.

it was frustrating though.. I locked the doors, and then opened the trunk with the proximity key in my bag, and tossed my whole bag in the truck accidentally, shut it, and then all the doors were locked.. I seemed like having the proximity key inside the trunk right next to the trunk latch would unlock it, but it didnt..
the extra was inside my apartment (which was locked also)... haha some bad luck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm glad to know this happened to you! I got locked out of my car when my fob was in my gym bag - exactly the same scenario you had (luckily my DH was on his way home from work - I was outside my office/next door to the gym - with his fob). Ugh

·
Registered
168 Posts
It is not a good idea to put your proximity key in a box on/in/near your car. It's close enough to the car that the car will constantly look for you to hit the ingition. It will drain your car battery the first night you leave it there.

Trust me, I did this, though accidentally. I just had the proximity key in my trunk in my school bag and forgot to bring it in. I didn't lock the car up, but the following morning when I went to start my car, the car battery was dead.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Incidentally, my wife's car is a 2011 Mazda 3GT with the tech package (proximity key/push-button start also). We kept her key fob hanging up in the kitchen, which is adjacent to the garage. It just so happens that it was close enough to drain the key fob battery (the key fob could see the car), but not close enough to start the car with it (the car couldn't see the key fob). I was changing key fob batteries every two weeks and wondering what the hell was going on. After doing some reading online, I found that moving the key fobs to the living room was far enough away from the car that the key fob batteries now last like they're supposed to. I haven't changed her fob batteries in 6 months...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not wanting to doubt you but if you put your bag with Fob in it you should have just opened the back up since the door opens when the key fob is in your pocket? I throw backpack in it with the fob in the bag open the door and drive away mean while keys are in the back of the car.:confused:

·
Registered
443 Posts
SCVeloster - I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Gym bag with fob into the hatch and suddenly the car was totally locked up. Even with the fob IN the car, I could not open the hatch or the doors, just as the OP said.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The proximity key is not needed to open the hatch. So long as the doors are unlocked, you can leave your key fob in the house and walk out to your car and open the hatch. I do this all the time...

If the doors are locked, the fob has to be outside of the car in order to unlock the hatch. The car can detect when the keys are inside the car and outside the car.

What's more puzzling about this story is why you didn't use the Bluelink app on your smartphone to unlock your doors? Unless you don't have a smartphone?

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, Porkchop - you're saying the OP and I are both lying? The fob was IN the car. The hatch locked, the doors were locked - neither of us could unlock with the fob INSIDE the car.

As for Bluelink app? My iPhone was IN the car, with the fob, in my gym bag...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for posting porkchop, I guess it wouldnt be a smart thing to do if it constantly drains the battery. maybe I'll just try the actual key.

and saffyres right guys.. if you want to do an experiment, go right ahead and try it for yourself. Nobody's stopping you. phone, keys, wallet, everything was in the bag I threw in.

I'm REALLY just posting this on here so that other owners know that itll happen, so be careful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a 'Door Unlock' option with the BlueLink App - if you have an iPhone or Droid. (might help if your phone is in you pocket vs. locked in the car too).

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I still don't understand. If the key is within 30 feet of the car you can open the doors. If the key happens to be inside the car -- well, that's certainly within 30 feet and ANYBODY could open the doors. Again, as suggested, I tried this by putting my key inside the hold, and then flashing lights went off when I shut the hatch and the doors -- all of them -- unlocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I went through this whole ordeal with getting a locksmith out to get my door opened at 11pm a couple nights ago.

I opened my trunk by touching the button, threw my bag with my keys and everything in, and shut it... got locked out.

I said that wont happen to me ever again, so I was thinking about putting in one of those hide-a-key things with my extra fob. please dont tell me where yours is or how you did it because that is kind of dangerous haha..
I was just seeing if any of you guys knew a website where you can find a hide-a-key box that goes with key fobs (not the actual key since we dont have one). from there I can find a way to rig it so it is undetectable, even if you know it's there somewhere.

thanks! hopefully you dont have to deal with this!
This is my problem lately too. Why is the trunk locking when the keys are in it? It shouldnt! Any ideas??

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,340 Posts
the fob has a key inside it. push the silver round button and pull on the lanyard ring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts