Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Used 1.6L 4 Banger 2012 Silver Hyundai Veloster Automatic 120k+ miles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, just looking to discuss the details of how best to manage my Veloster and keep it in good shape.

·
weekend racer
7,820 Posts
welcome to the club!

Reactions: Warden

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, so your running 93 octane in this, is that correct?
Yup, specifically Shell's V-max and I'm planning on switching the regular engine oil to Amsoil(Project Farm on YouTube has a good video on it). Also switching spark plugs to Pulstar(also another vid on Project Farm's channel). The pulstar spark plugs are nickel though which may not be as durable as the iridium spark plugs but I'll keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Welcome, Warden! 2012 owner here since 10/2011! You might want to go to Hyundai's website and search for recalls since the 2012 has an active one at the moment. I took mine in 3 weeks ago but they had to order parts (and haven't heard from them since).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
Looks good, couple things, the 93 octane, I dont mind, see these engines like it when i worked there. Knock on 87, so thats ok. But the Pulstar plugs, I have to say no. Please stay with the OEM, but, up to you.

Amsoil, thats up to you, I would use it, but the OE one, not the signature series, and use the Hyundai filter every change, but that is totally up to you. I think its 7500 on a non-turbo, could be wrong.

Good luck. (i use supertech syn in mine, 5k oci)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why are the pulstars a bad idea? Just getting into cars recently so I genuinely would like to know.

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
You could try them and let us know, but the NGK is what the engine was designed for. Cars these days are picky with plugs; certain resistance and other factors here. If a plug touts more HP from a plug over factory, i say pass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could try them and let us know, but the NGK is what the engine was designed for. Cars these days are picky with plugs; certain resistance and other factors here. If a plug touts more HP from a plug over factory, i say pass.
Thanks! Unfortunately I already bought them and plan on installing them but I had no idea about their claim to add more horsepower. Just watched some youtube tests and saw they did perform better. Also is Amsoil signature worse quality than OE or is it not as good a match for the veloster?

·
Registered
16 VT
838 Posts
What i mean by that is, Amsoil has 3 oils, OE, boosted, and signature. i dont like waiting 25k miles for a oil change, boosted is 12k and OE is for what your OE interval is, which is what i prefer, but if you like 25k oil changes, then it may be for you. If it were Turbo, then this all changes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah okay Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts