Veloster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I wanted to get some help on getting the heat shield to stop rattling. At least I'm pretty sure this is a heat shield issue as I've had other cars with the same sound and occurring in the same instances. Here is the scenario:

• I have a rattling sound that can bear heard, this is metal like rattle sound, and is not a constant or consistence sound (meaning not a knock where there is a pattern or something in that sense).
  • The engine must be warmed up. The sound won't happen unless the gauge on the car is sitting at the middle line on the engine temperature.
  • The sound generally does not happen until after 3k RPM. For the longest time I thought it was a transmission issue because it tends to happen close to shifting.
NOTE: The first time I brought in the car for this issue, when I thought it was a transmission issue, they said it was a direct injection issue and did a cleaning of the service and said that rattling happens if you don't clean them every 30K miles (my car at the time was at 28K miles).

So my question is does this sound like I am right about the heat shield?

If so, how do I get Hyundai to fix this? What I mean by the second question is that I have no way of taking off work Monday - Friday and my hours at work start before they open and end after they close. Saturdays are my only option. I've brought the car in 5 times to the local dealer when I thought it was the transmission, but each time they let the car sit for 5-7 hours and then only tested it on a cold start/drive and once full circle around the block/dealership which does not allow the car to heat up. I've explained to them it has to the engine has to be warm and usually needs to be running for at least 15 minutes.

I called a second dealership that was further away in hopes that they might be able to help me, but they said "to be honest, you need to get a rental car and leave the car with us a few days if you want us to check it when the car is warm. We do not have time to check a car for that long on the weekend and even during the week it'll be very difficult for us unless you leave it for multiple days."

NOTE: I have not tried to take in the car as a "heat shield" issue yet as I just started to think that might be the issue.

I feel hopelessly lost and my warranty is running out soon. Any advice on how to proceed or at least if I sound like I'm on to something with the heat shield?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,934 Posts
have you considered getting underneath and tapping on / grabbing the heat shields?

·
Registered
620 Posts
mine actually turned out not being a shield, but rather the baffles inside the resonator. I dimpled my res in a ditch last halloween (don't ask), and it apparently broke a/some weld(s) inside causing the baffles to eventually rattle. took a little while to find, and in the end, it was replaced under warranty. I didn't get a louder exhaust out of the deal, but I did get rid of the rattle...for free. #happycamper

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Question: did you hit the bottom of the car on anything like jaydawg did? You could have possibly bent the exhaust pipe in such a way that it's hitting something but only at certain RPM's because of harmonics n sh*t. I'd pop that hoe on some jack stands and take a gander at her underside

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Mine came with a rattling heat shield (front one under the tunnel)from the factory. I got under there and just tweaked it a bit and it hasn't done it in 2 years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey everyone. I wanted to get some help on getting the heat shield to stop rattling. At least I'm pretty sure this is a heat shield issue as I've had other cars with the same sound and occurring in the same instances. Here is the scenario:
  • I have a rattling sound that can bear heard, this is metal like rattle sound, and is not a constant or consistence sound (meaning not a knock where there is a pattern or something in that sense).
  • The engine must be warmed up. The sound won't happen unless the gauge on the car is sitting at the middle line on the engine temperature.
  • The sound generally does not happen until after 3k RPM. For the longest time I thought it was a transmission issue because it tends to happen close to shifting.
NOTE: The first time I brought in the car for this issue, when I thought it was a transmission issue, they said it was a direct injection issue and did a cleaning of the service and said that rattling happens if you don't clean them every 30K miles (my car at the time was at 28K miles).

So my question is does this sound like I am right about the heat shield?

If so, how do I get Hyundai to fix this? What I mean by the second question is that I have no way of taking off work Monday - Friday and my hours at work start before they open and end after they close. Saturdays are my only option. I've brought the car in 5 times to the local dealer when I thought it was the transmission, but each time they let the car sit for 5-7 hours and then only tested it on a cold start/drive and once full circle around the block/dealership which does not allow the car to heat up. I've explained to them it has to the engine has to be warm and usually needs to be running for at least 15 minutes.

I called a second dealership that was further away in hopes that they might be able to help me, but they said "to be honest, you need to get a rental car and leave the car with us a few days if you want us to check it when the car is warm. We do not have time to check a car for that long on the weekend and even during the week it'll be very difficult for us unless you leave it for multiple days."

NOTE: I have not tried to take in the car as a "heat shield" issue yet as I just started to think that might be the issue.

I feel hopelessly lost and my warranty is running out soon. Any advice on how to proceed or at least if I sound like I'm on to something with the heat shield?
i have the exact same issue with my 2013 NAV. The weather has cooled off here so I haven't heard it in over a week. My car has to be warm and it definetly helps if it's warm outside for the noise to happen. I've taken it to the dealer several times. First they changed the 6 sp tranny fluid. That didn't work. The they took apart the heat shield but that didn't work as well. Then they basically told me that even though they admit that noise is weird that it's just something the car does and that I should get used to it. All work was covered under warranty. If it warms up and I can replicate the noise I'll take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I thought I was the only one with that issue. It definetly makes Hyundai look bad with a terrible noise like that for a car that's only a few years old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the exact same issue with my 2013 NAV. The weather has cooled off here so I haven't heard it in over a week. My car has to be warm and it definetly helps if it's warm outside for the noise to happen. I've taken it to the dealer several times. First they changed the 6 sp tranny fluid. That didn't work. The they took apart the heat shield but that didn't work as well. Then they basically told me that even though they admit that noise is weird that it's just something the car does and that I should get used to it. All work was covered under warranty. If it warms up and I can replicate the noise I'll take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I thought I was the only one with that issue. It definetly makes Hyundai look bad with a terrible noise like that for a car that's only a few years old.
I thought I should give an update in case in anyone should come looking for help. I finally got my car fixed by Hyundia, but it took three different dealers and Hyundai corporate, and hyundai corporate engineer to get involved. Turns out it was my transmission that was making the sound, and required a complete transmission replacement. It took almost 1.5 years of fighting Hyundai from every level and they were completely awful assholes at every single move. There was even one point at the beginning where one of their service members concluded it was the transmission while sitting in the car with me on a test drive only to have their supervisor veto me. It was so bad that when they replaced the transmission they blew the engine some how. What was only supposed to be a 1.5 weeks of repairs ended up being something around a month. This also included them giving me a rental car that broke down at one point on me - go figure. Hopefully this will be useful for someone out there. I am only heartbroken as I used to love my car and really liked the idea behind Hyundai from the articles I read about their CEO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a audio system in my veloster and after a few weeks of getting it installed I noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear of the car while playing music with high bass and I have narrowed it down to either the exhaust, exhaust shield, or the trunk door. Does anyone else have an ideas of what it could be and could it be fixed with simple repairs? The trunk hatch is a little rattly when hitting bumps in the road and along with the rattle noise. I am sure it’s coming from the rear of the car but not sure what. Has anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
274 Posts
Zero ideas without looking at the car in person. Adding vibration to a complex machine shakes the noise dampening quality engineered by the manufacturer.

Ie. Turn down the bass, if parts are shaking off your car it's probably beyond the noticable hearing range (ie db is logarithmic and over a certain volume at a certain frequency you can no longer discern the difference)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts