Veloster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to let you all know what I've found out the hard way. At 120,000 miles my 2013 VT 1.6L engine needed to be replaced due to a bad bearing caused by lack of oil. In my case the oil light had never come on...it should have, but didn't. There was nothing on my garage floor, so it had to all go out the tailpipe. I was stunned when the customer service guy said, "lack of oil." To my knowledge, that had never happened with my car...after all, every service on the car since new had been done at a dealership and no one had ever pointed out low oil...just call me naive. Bottom line, I was somewhere between rock and hard place, so spent close to $10K on the new engine and clutch plates, hoses, etc. (since the engine was out). I love the car and fixing it was cheaper than a new vehicle...
3200 miles later...my oil light (magically!) came on. WTF?! I asked myself. After letting the car sit a bit, I pulled out the dip stick. Nothing. Put in a quart of oil and checked again. Nothing. Same with the second quart. Finally it registered with the 3rd quart. 3200 miles on a brand new (expletive deleted) engine and I'm that low on oil. When I talked to the same Hyundai service guy he basically said there is nothing he can do. He said they, the dealership, can only install the engine, they don't make it. He also stated that Hyundai has said it's acceptable that the 1.6L burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Again, WTF?! I told him that I had owned a 1965 GTO that had burned oil about the same, but that was then...this is now. He was sympathetic.

Turns out, I'm not the only one to run into this type of situation with the 1.6L. I found a couple of items online:
Hyundai 1.6 Engine losing oil but No Leaks..Manufacturer Knows about it and Look Carefully at Level - Bing video

2014 Hyundai Veloster Engine Seized: 2 Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

Again, wanted to share. Check your oil regularly. And, ask yourself if you'll ever buy a Hyundai again. I won't.

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,729 Posts
wow 10k on a new engine and it is happening again? who installed it for you? was there any type of warranty? i'll blow through 3200 miles in about 50 days myself.

the 2013s are the worst reliability unfortunately - not so much for bad bearings but blowing a hole in the block.

also sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. a quart every 1000 miles is not acceptable at all . i would get your **** together and talk to a lawyer or at the least raise some hell with corporate. did they install a used engine? at that price it better be hand carved from the finest aluminum .

· Registered
2012 Hyundai Veloster 1.6
46 Posts
I feel your pain to a degree, my 2012 with 130k uses around 1litre (uk) every 3 weeks or so. When I bought the car (second hand) it had no oil showing on the dipstick but no oil light on inside the car, it took around 2-3litres for it to start showing 🙈

I've never had a drip on the garage floor and on every Inspection the underside is clean. My mechanic has said the most likely cause is either a worn piston ring or valve stem seal but without stripping the engine down I guess I'll never know 🤷‍♂️

I've since done around 7k miles in it and other than having to top uk the oil once a month I had no others signs that anything is happening to it.... just a mystery that I'm not will to spend good money to solve.

In your case I'd be way more pissed with it being a new engine and all. I'd definitely be trying a different mechanic to see if their opinion on the problem is any different

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new engine was installed at my local Hyundai dealership, and there's a 12k mile warranty on it. However, "it doesn't apply here until something obviously goes wrong." I.e. the car runs fine...at this point, ha. Anyway, they won't look it until there's an obvious cause to the oil use. Really super customer service isn't it...I think they're jaded with all the 6 cylinder engine recalls...

I'm crafting a letter to corporate on the topic...hope springs eternal. As to future work on the car...this all occurred within the last week, but I've already reached out to a new mechanic. Screw 'em ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Wanted to let you all know what I've found out the hard way. At 120,000 miles my 2013 VT 1.6L engine needed to be replaced due to a bad bearing caused by lack of oil. In my case the oil light had never come on...it should have, but didn't. There was nothing on my garage floor, so it had to all go out the tailpipe. I was stunned when the customer service guy said, "lack of oil." To my knowledge, that had never happened with my car...after all, every service on the car since new had been done at a dealership and no one had ever pointed out low oil...just call me naive. Bottom line, I was somewhere between rock and hard place, so spent close to $10K on the new engine and clutch plates, hoses, etc. (since the engine was out). I love the car and fixing it was cheaper than a new vehicle... , 3200 miles later...my oil light (magically!) came on. WTF?! I asked myself. After letting the car sit a bit, I pulled out the dip stick. Nothing. Put in a quart of oil and checked again. Nothing. Same with the second quart. Finally it registered with the 3rd quart. 3200 miles on a brand new (expletive deleted) engine and I'm that low on oil. When I talked to the same Hyundai service guy he basically said there is nothing he can do. He said they, the dealership, can only install the engine, they don't make it. He also stated that Hyundai has said it's acceptable that the 1.6L burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Again, WTF?! I told him that I had owned a 1965 GTO that had burned oil about the same, but that was then...this is now. He was sympathetic. Turns out, I'm not the only one to run into this type of situation with the 1.6L. I found a couple of items online: Hyundai 1.6 Engine losing oil but No Leaks..Manufacturer Knows about it and Look Carefully at Level - Bing video 2014 Hyundai Veloster Engine Seized: 2 Complaints (carcomplaints.com) Again, wanted to share. Check your oil regularly. And, ask yourself if you'll ever buy a Hyundai again. I won't.

· Registered
5 Posts
Wanted to let you all know what I've found out the hard way. At 120,000 miles my 2013 VT 1.6L engine needed to be replaced due to a bad bearing caused by lack of oil. In my case the oil light had never come on...it should have, but didn't. There was nothing on my garage floor, so it had to all go out the tailpipe. I was stunned when the customer service guy said, "lack of oil." To my knowledge, that had never happened with my car...after all, every service on the car since new had been done at a dealership and no one had ever pointed out low oil...just call me naive. Bottom line, I was somewhere between rock and hard place, so spent close to $10K on the new engine and clutch plates, hoses, etc. (since the engine was out). I love the car and fixing it was cheaper than a new vehicle...
3200 miles later...my oil light (magically!) came on. WTF?! I asked myself. After letting the car sit a bit, I pulled out the dip stick. Nothing. Put in a quart of oil and checked again. Nothing. Same with the second quart. Finally it registered with the 3rd quart. 3200 miles on a brand new (expletive deleted) engine and I'm that low on oil. When I talked to the same Hyundai service guy he basically said there is nothing he can do. He said they, the dealership, can only install the engine, they don't make it. He also stated that Hyundai has said it's acceptable that the 1.6L burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Again, WTF?! I told him that I had owned a 1965 GTO that had burned oil about the same, but that was then...this is now. He was sympathetic.

Turns out, I'm not the only one to run into this type of situation with the 1.6L. I found a couple of items online:
Hyundai 1.6 Engine losing oil but No Leaks..Manufacturer Knows about it and Look Carefully at Level - Bing video

2014 Hyundai Veloster Engine Seized: 2 Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

Again, wanted to share. Check your oil regularly. And, ask yourself if you'll ever buy a Hyundai again. I won't.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 Hyundai veloster turbo 1.6L and I just replaced the engine in mine at 28 thousand miles. The Hyundai dealership had my car roughly 6 months. Not only was the engine replaced, but so was radiator, coil packs, not 1 but went through 2 pcm's, battery , engine wiring harness, just to get my car back and battery they installed wasn't holding a charge, so then I replace the battery twice and replaced altrenator for it still not hold a charge, called up dealership because it wouldn't stay running and they tried to claim that there was an after market alarm system on it and that was causing the issue and they dismantled it. Here's the thing, I NEVER put any alarm system on it, it still has factory one that I use with the fob. I love my veloster and I plan on keeping it, however I will probably never buy another Hyundai after this ordeal. My car has roughly 300 miles on new motor and almost 29 thousand on transmission.

· Registered
10 Posts
While I can sympathize with you, Relying on the oil warning light is just asking for trouble. Nothing more reliable than the old fashioned dipstick and common sense. Plus does anyone know at what level the light should come on? I don't and I would only rely on that in case something extremely bad happened. Technology is great, but it can screw you in a second. As far as purchasing a used car and not checking the oil level and condition of the oil, well, I won't even write my opinion on that

· Registered
1,300 Posts
The oil light in the dash is not a warning light that the oil is low, and to think this is the reason for the light, is folly.
The oil warning light in the dash is there to warn of low oil pressure.
Naturally when you run the engine with extremely low oil the oil pump may starve for oil, reducing the oil pressure and illuminating the low oil pressure light.
If you are relying on the light in the dash to safeguard against low oil levels in the engine, you are misunderstanding the light and you chance destroying the engine.
:)

· Registered
399 Posts
I've always been told that by the time the oil light comes on, the engine is already toast. This was from a Chevy owner back in the 90's. My DD is a 23 year old Saturn and burns oil like crazy. But I check the oil every week, top it up and it keeps on running. Saturn 1.9l's were famous for burning oil.

Just check the dipstick

Reactions: RPW00Mirage
1 - 11 of 11 Posts