Veloster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just got my OSRAM nightbreakers installed this weekend. What a pain in the @$$. However, they do look awesome.

Just a few tips for anyone replacing the headlights.
1. Do it in warm weather (numb hands make it tough)
2. Practice on the high beams, much easier to get to and if you understand the set up it makes it much easier
3. Drivers side is the hardest, and I would recommend a good pair of channel locks
4. It is easier to take apart than to put back together
5. Enjoy it afterwards

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are there any comparison pictures floating around of the European/Korean Veloster projector lamps with HIDs in them? I'm more in line with the party of people who don't mind it as long as it's done right. I'd hate to spend money on an OEM Phillips set to find out that the projector lenses in the VT are crap... maybe we'll get lucky and they'll be good quality (Or maybe they're already HIDs!?! I wish).

If they're garbage I'll likely not bother or I'll hope and pray for a good aftermarket setup or maybe I'll try my hand at a retrofit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't resist to fit HID's on my car (EDM projector lenses), I think the result was a lot better than expected, mainly because it keeps the beam pattern and the cut-off line is well defined. When I get the chance to show the lights against a wall I'll do it and post here.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Here is a picture of my EDM projectors with 6K HIDs, it was a rainy day btw on the first picture and water was accumulated on the floor, but it is nice to see the cut off line is defined just like it was with halogens.
View attachment 7163 View attachment 7164
Awesome, thanks! What HID kit did you use and was it difficult to install? I'm doing this when I get my VT. :)

Also, any photos of the actual headlight with the lights on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a comparison, the picture of the left was taken with halogens, the picture of the right was taken with HIDs.
IMG_20120312_205630.jpg IMG_20120613_192641.jpg

I also don't particularly like installing HIDs on halogen projectors (and on reflectors is always a crime), I am more of a fan of doing a good retrofit, but I think on this case, the result is not that bad, and good enough for everyday use. What do you think?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Watch this video of the "Australian" version Veloster. At about 1:45 they show their LED headlights. it has the nicer LED front headlamps. I wonder why the US version didn't use the nicer led front strip under the headlamps. :( Anyone know where i could purchase these?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for the post, Xan. I was wondering if HID's make sense versus upgrading the halogens. You have made my choice easier and validated my gut feelings. Wish I knew of a retail outlet for the Osram Night Breakers.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, I had hoped to make a first post about something more exciting but I have to say that the fear mongering about HIDs is just absurd.

My 06 Lincoln had them, what a world of difference they made compared to halogen or halogen in projectors. It wasn't even a contest how good those lights were. I had to tear down and replace both the bulbs and ballasts and I grabbed some of the better ballasts, not the tiny and poorly built ones, and some D1S bulbs from Osram to match; never had any issues with the replacements either.

Install and ground them properly you will NEVER have issues.

My Focus (a 2012) also worked pretty well with them. All I had to do was aim the housings and I was good to go. The amazing thing is that the Focus had housings that even though were reflector based worked absurdly well with the HIDs, the cutoffs were exceptional and I had to do no modifications to the actual housing to get things to work.

You can safely run HIDs in stock housings of the Veloster or the KDM assemblies, just do the 5 minutes worth of aiming and you won't have issues and do the install properly.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Honda sells a Civic in Europe that has HIDs from the factory in REFLECTOR housings. So if they can do it and pass Euro regs, I'm sure we are fine.

The ludicrous thing is that the KDM/Turbo housings range from around 450-600 for both so I don't think I'd suffer financially if I decided to do it with projectors but I have no remorse in doing it with reflectors. I'll pick the 35w versions, install and aim. Nothing more to it.

But I am already crying about having to remove the bumper just to get at these things. Really Hyundai?

At least with the Focus it was 2 torx screws and the assembly on both sides just slid right out...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Has anyone here installed HID's on a VT without taking the bumper off? How easy/hard was it? How long did it take? Any hiccups or advice you want to share with those of us who want to do it ourselves? I recently received a set of HID's from DD and I'm planning to install them myself. I hope it'll be as painless as possible..

·
Registered
445 Posts
My question is are aftermarket HID's legal ? There are so many cars now that you know have been modded with HID's and the lights are blinding. These people just installed HID's on their factory headlight assemblies. I don't mind people modding their lights but as mentioned, lights should be done correctly , using the right housing and projectors since this is one thing that can affect oncoming traffic or the car in front of you. I love my V and if I ever upgrade the lights it will be using OSRAM bulbs many here seem to like very much.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got my 6000k hids installed. It was annoying at first to remove part of the bumper but nevertheless, it was worth it. With the relay, the lights turn on quickly and give off that pure white with tint of light blue. I don't even have to use my 8000k fog lights anymore, only to show off now ;D

101 - 120 of 128 Posts
About this Discussion
127 Replies
52 Participants
Blaster
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing