Veloster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, i have to speak up about this... there are MILLIONS of people running HID's on stock non hid intended headlights.. my mazda3 had halogen's and i ran HID's for 120,000 miles problem and worry free.. lower the lights and your done. you dont have to completely lower it to the floor (as exaggeratedly stated here) just lower it enough to where it doesnt hit the car in front of your's mirror.
Well, your Mazda3 also had projectors, which are better but not perfect as far as glare. The Veloster has reflectors. Apples/Oranges.
Regardless, even if you had less glare with projectors, you still had less light output and probably had some hotspotting. Some companies do use their HID projectors and halogen projectors interchangeable - you can run halogens in HID projectors without issues, you can't run HIDs in halogen projectors without issue.
sorry. unless you drive your car at speed limit, hands at 2 and 12 oclock, radio off, no distractions, cell phone off, blinking for a full 30 seconds before lane changing 100% of the time... then ignore this whole "omg hid's will explode your radio and make you drive off a cliff" idea...
Why? The fact that something is dangerous, unsafe, and illegal in all 50 states makes it okay because some people don't follow all posted safety instructions and guidelines? I don't follow your logic.

While i agree that HID's are meant for HID specific projectors. ANY projector + hid will work just fine. and... THERE ARE INFACT NON PROJECTOR OEM HID's that came stock on (again, NON PROJECTOR) HEADLIGHTS.
There are also HID reflectors, as seen on the Prius, early Maxima, and 04-05 STi. They too are different from halogen reflectors.
And no, no, no, NOT any projector plus an HID kit "will work just fine." I cover this in pretty explicit detail.

Glare doesnt need to be perfected. buy a 35w (as apposed to 55W) hid kid and point it alittle down and you will not blind anyone. it will take up less wattage than a stock bulb (stock bulbs use some 65 watts) so there is no risk of burning anything (less wattage/safer) and your 100% good..
You are making arguments which I have already addressed and debunked in detail.

I dont understand the people on this forum trying to scare people out of every mod...
(tinted taillights kill motorcyclists), (HID's make cars run into you head on and set your car on fire)
I don't understand people who would try to scare people out of modding their cars, either, especially out of fear. Fortunately, I'm not one of those people.

The subaru you see in that link put an oversized HID kit in the foglight.. as in.. he put the wrong bulb there. (retarded install)

Also, here to further my argument, this is straight from that exact subaru thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by 5230EVO
as eBay, i mean eBay brand
those brands that can only be found on eBay

seriously, i just finished reading over this thread. i dont know if you post or look at the electrical forum, but theres a few guys in here that really know what theyre talking about, and everyone needs to listen to them.

regardless of the brand/quality of the kit, HIDs in your foglamps were a horrible idea.

first is light quality. HIDs make for terrible lights in fog and other inclimate weather. thats why fogs are traditionally yellow. there is scientific data that explains how bluer light will reflect up into your eyes while driving.

the other problem is that you put an hid in a small, weather sealed foglight housing. from what i have seen in the pictures, this is where the ignition started. someone has already stated that yes, HIDs run at lower temps per lumen output, but overall run hotter.

you basically put a capsule that runs hotter than a halogen in a completely sealed, unvented, small housing. it got too hot, and caught fire.

you say its plug and play? it doesnt matter. this doesnt look like faulty wiring, and even if it was? with simple research you would know that these kits are not plug and play. even if your kit didnt melt the front of you car off, simply pluging them into your stock wiring would have probably caused a problem in subaru's already weak wiring system.

like handsdown said, these products have been outlawed in the states for a good reason. not only because they are normally manufactured to inferior quality control standards, but asstards install them improperly and they fail. not to mention they blind people, and provide no improvement on lighting."
/quote

To clarify..
1- very rare incident
2- owner put the wrong size hid kit and assumed that since it lit up it was safe. (complete diregard for electrical specs)
3- Owner did all of this in a weather sealed foglight housing (that already gets hot enough as is)
4- as CLEARLY stated, subaru has a very weak electrical circuitry (more risk of damaging electronics/causing a fire)
5- again, VERY RARE ISOLATED EVENT.

sorry, but im not buying this whole (HID's ARE THE DEVILS NECTAR) talk. And i would hate to see other forum members be distraught by such a misguided post.

(although there are aspects i do agree with)
You don't have to agree with me.
There is no "right size" HID kit for a fog light, for the reasons you quoted. You are cherry-picking the conclusions you're drawing from that quote. And yes, it is a rare event, but why take the risk?

You are free to do as you wish, I'm just trying to inform people.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to get some to work in the V. A popular mod among the Fiesta crowd was to file down the HIR tabs and make them work in our housings. And WOW, what a huge difference.

·
Registered
578 Posts
XAN, read that subaru thread. he put the wrong HID bulb/kit in the foglight. lol

as in... lets say its an H11 foglight.. he put an H1 kit assuming that since it fit (barely) it would be fine.

Also, have you ever seen a mustang with a 35w low angled proper HID kit installed? its non projector, halogen reflector. and i guarantee, if its angles right. it will be a night/day difference for the driver, and will not blind anyone. whoever made that write up originally must have hated life. lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is no such thing as a proper HID kit in a halogen reflector.
Yes, I have seen what you're talking about.

Also, where are you seeing that he put the wrong size bulb in? I'm digging through that thread and not seeing anything.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wish I could figure out how to get some to work in the V. A popular mod among the Fiesta crowd was to file down the HIR tabs and make them work in our housings. And WOW, what a huge difference.
Yeah, they're great when they fit.
Sucks when they don't... :mad:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For those of us who choose not to downplay the drastic differences in beam patterns:

HID in HID Projector.

Note the consistent bright white light under the sharp cutoff.

HID in HID Reflector.

Again, note that the cutoff and consistency of the light is still pretty good, though not optimal.

HID in Halogen Projector.

Note the glare above the cutoff and the inconsistent light quality below.

HID in Halogen Reflector.

'nuff said.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Oh I like those pictures :D

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I said I wouldn't have anything more to say about HID's, but I think fair representation of the facts is needed.

These pictures are extremes. They do an excellent job of making the case not to use after market HID's. I am using HID in Lexus projectors designed for Halogen and the pattern looks exactly like picture number 1. The pictures would be more credible if the same car, same wall, same distance to the wall and same exposure settings were used for each comparison.

I appreciate the concerns expressed by the OP, and will be the first to recognize there are a lot of poor HID installations. If I ever installed a set of HID's that look like the horrible beam patterns presented, I would remove them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
These pictures are extremes. They do an excellent job of making the case not to use after market HID's. I am using HID in Lexus projectors designed for Halogen and the pattern looks exactly like picture number 1. The pictures would be more credible if the same car, same wall, same distance to the wall and same exposure settings were used for each comparison.
I would love to find such a thing, but haven't had as much luck as I'd like. If I had an infinite money cheat for my life, I'd do it. :D
I'm going to keep looking and hope to update this soon. All but the HID reflector photos are BMWs - the HID reflector image is a Maxima, if I recall correctly. As with any optic, some will be better than others. I just went to google and grabbed the first images I could for each, all scientific-like. ;)

Many higher-end HID / Halogen projectors are interchangeable. I know that many of the Audi HID projectors and halogen projectors have the same part number. A halogen bulb looks fine in an HID projector, it's the other way around that gets a little furry.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
^^ that :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
HID's are the best, to not get them should be illegal

·
Registered
578 Posts
Delete every troll post you posted on my thread, and then ill stay off yours forever ;P hahaha deal?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I haven't trolled anyone, I've just combated your bad information.
You, on the other hand, are trolling.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts