Veloster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine reving to 5000 rpms when idle the issues been growing for months now but I let my mom drive my car today and it decided to fuck up I was in the car infront of her had to jump out and get in the drivers seat cause she was panicking ..,. Basically my cars throtle position is either stuck or a gasket blew or a line is leaking but I’m more leaning towards the throttle body being stuck checking everything tomorrow cause I was to frustrated and I tend to lose sight of my hand strength and just break **** but no codes just high revving the second the car turns on, the reason I’m pretty sure it’s the throttle body is cause I had to wait 3 second before pressing the clutch after letting go of the gas pedal to stop the car from over reving for the past 2 weeks so I’m guessing the throttle body pin thing that opens and closes got dirt or some
Type of build up and it decided to just get stuck today,., I only said a gasket cause of some
Videos iv been watching but if you read this and understand why the gasket might be the issue i’d appreciate the explanation., also should I put in a throttle body spacer., and if I end up replacing the throttle body should
I go for wider mm

·
weekend racer
6,992 Posts
you'll never know until you look.

also, i suggest a squirt bottle with a mix of dish soap and water. get some good suds and spray down all the vacuum lines, gasket areas around the TB and IM. if you see bubbles, or the idle smoothes out you know you have a leak and you have a good idea where it is.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, throttle body parts do occasionally need cleaning because they can get gummed up, but revving that high I do not think it's the throttle problem due to the engine management system. ie. the ECU, fuel injection system, drive by wire throttle. I think you need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it revs by itself the problem is down the road from the throttle body.
Stuck is another story completely.

Anyway open it up and see what you will find, could be something simple or really complicated
We tend to spray carb cleaner on the throttle body to see if its drawing air in from somewhere

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with the carb cleaner being sprayed onto any fittings that you would thing would be causing a vacuum leak. Works really good and you don't have soapy bubble all over the place. @RPW00Mirage 😂
You may also check your accelerator pedal since this is what tells the ecu to make throttle plate openings depending on how far the pedal is pressed.
Drive by wire is a bit different than the old school cable system.

Here's what I would do to check both the throttle plate sticking and pedal working correctly.
Remove throttlebody from the intake but keep it hooked up electrically.
Once removed turn the key on to the start position but don't start the car.
Now that it's in start position have someone push the accelerator pedal and note the movement of the the throttle plate as the pedal is moved. Now you can see how things are working and fix whatever is giving you the problem.

Good luck with it. (y)

·
weekend racer
6,992 Posts
ahh carb cleaner i never thought of that. however the soap suds will take some of the grime with it LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Highly unlikely that it is the throttle body. Also, there is no gasket between throttle body and engine, it is a captive O Ring. Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak or a problem with a sensor or the ECU. Take it to a professional, like the dealer, and get it fixed quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts