Veloster Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
it's funny i chimed in on this post when I did. I went home friday to install my new pierce sway bar. I was having this same discussion about using the tires to support our efforts of being safe with my wrenching buddy and my youngest son who was hanging out to watch.

I got the passenger side jacked up as high as my little floor jack goes and locked in my jack stand. I put the passenger side rear tire under the rear door on the side and started jacking up the drivers side. 3/4 the way up, the passenger jackstand failed and collapsed. had it not been for the tire, i REALLY would have f'd up my car...the jack stand was still lined up with the pinch weld but the impacto from falling 8+ inches to a sudden stop only supported in a 1.5" area on the pinch weld surely would have mangled some metal. the snow tire/rim spread the impact out and when the dust settled there was 3/4" gap from the top of the jack stand and the pinch weld.

Whew...I'm glad i wasn't under the car when it collapsed... Next time i take the car up high using this little jack, i'm going to lift each side to about 2/3, and set the stands on both sides, then lift more to minimize shifting of the car side to side. And yes, the front wheels were chocked as well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
we didn't take any pics...i was actually a bit shaken to be brutally honest. if that thing had failed while i was under there i may have needed an underwear change. it was wierd though, i've had these stands for years and they have never collapsed like this. I think it was just slight shifting side to side as my jack worked toward it's highest point. The stand literally just collapsed as if you had whacked the stand release lever.

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Glad you are ok, if someone would have gotten hurt, that would be jacked up

Reactions: Zach and JayK

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
This place is becoming a Zoo :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thought to add some useful information to this thread for future searches. I've been raising the Veloster like this since having aquired them. Essentially you can drive up on 2"X4" boards (or equivalent) or ramps to allow you to place the jack on the sub-frame, centered just behind the lower engine mount.

Once the front is up high enough you can place your jacks on the front pinch seam jack points.

For the rear I place the jack under the spring cups. Having two jacks makes this much more stable & easier. Again, once high enough simply place the jack on the pinch seam. For tire rotation you can put the front end up on jacks and simply raise just one rear side at the time to accomplish this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the adjustable load bar and jack in the dead center of the car and put the pinch welds under the jack stands.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,979 Posts
Reactions: absoluteyeti

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
528 Posts
D615408F-76D3-444E-B05C-BEE2453AD51F.jpeg FDB3A791-6B0B-45CE-B026-28F40D6623F8.jpeg

Best jack stands you can get.
Solid made, removable solid pin with detent ball, and all aluminum so they're easy to handle.
I rarely use the pinch weld joints on the side sills of the car for the stands but douse the jack to lift the front at those points.
The rear is raised at the tie down/ tow loop using a 4x4 block at the forward point of the tow loop.
That lifts the entire rear end so I can jack stand at the rear trailing arms.

As much as I'm constantly under my car shortcuts are needed to speed up the process and also to be safe too. 👍

21 - 35 of 35 Posts