Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of searching on here and google and it was just hard to find the info on changing the fluid in the DCT transmission a lot of vague info. So Ill add what you need.

First remove the shield on the drivers side to access the fill plug its 4 10mm bolts. Next Remove the fill plug its a 8mm allen 6 point. Next drain your fluid so remove the drain bolt its well I used a 15/16 socket 6 point. Drain, then your supposed to put in a new washer under the drain plug when putting back on. Its a Hyundai transmission oil drain gasket 21513-11000 you can find on search engine.

Torque drain plug to 43-57 ft lb. per manual.

Fill with Redline MT-85 or Amsoil manual transmission & transaxle gear lube 75w90. Or the choice you want. Takes 2 quarts, fill until it runs out of fill hole with the car being level. Manual calls for 75W/85, API GL-4 fluid.

Remove shield. The other half on passenger side is still remaining. Remove four 10mm bolts two at front two near top of wheel.

You now can see fill plug, black in pic. with a white line. Its 8mm probably need a socket type of removal tool. Ratchet. location front of car from underneath.

Drain, 15/16 or metric equivalent. location rear of tranny, bottom.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have some pictures of the fill plug? is it a hex allen or a regular bolt? can you reach this by removing the battery without taking the shield off? i see a bolt with the number 8 on it for type of bolt, but it is (i think) 12 mm. below battery and to the left. I could really use a picture. thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 8mm allen 6 point. Here's a pic.

I would do it with removing the shield it is way easier only take like a minute to get it off and makes it easier to fill the tranny back up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks. IMG_2174-w800-h600.jpg IMG_2175-w800-h600.jpg IMG_2177-w800-h600.jpg These are some of my pics, what size hose did you use to fill the tranny after removing the fluid? It looks like the gear oil would drip all over that module when i open the allen plug. or not!?
Do my pictures make sense? I still cannot see how you would snake a long tube into that hole and then squeeze the fluid out of the bottle and make sure that the hose doesnt escape the hole. no way my push pump which fits over the bottle would work.
filling it seems to be difficult task. Gotta ask how you managed to find and get a hose small enough to fit the hole and still allow the really thick gear oil to force its way into the tube and into the transmission. Any hints most appreciated -Wayne

·
Registered
32 Posts
DCT fluid change

Ok, that did it. I decided to top it off rather then change the fluid because I am at 45K. surprised to have to add 1/2 quart! no leaks found. Be that as it may, you have correctly identified the fill and drain plugs, and i might add it was no small feat to add fluid to the fill plug which seems to have something blocking the hole after 1/2 inch so a small hose was even difficult to manuever. this job was not hard, but it was somewhat frustrating to add the fluid in small 50 cc increments via a syringe with hose attached.

still not worth $200 the dealer wanted to charge. I shudder to think about the 60k service where its between $500 and $600 for 4 plugs, tranny fluid change and coolant change. lots of check and inspect but not much change and replace.

anyway if you want to change the dct fluid, then this is the way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you cats are using that hex head bolt as the point at which you are checking your trans fluid... that would be why you "think" you are 1/2 qt low. that is not the fill plug at all... The diagram below shows the correct filler plug per Hyundai which is also the correct place to check fluid levels.

DCT Filler.JPG

that being said, if the hex head bolt can be removed and used to fill the fluid for a complete exchange than so-be-it... but that is not actually the fill plug.

Now that we know that, the true fill plug might be the biggest bastard on the car to actually access. The only way to get to it and apply any torque is to from the front rach as the suspension is completely in the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you cats are using that hex head bolt as the point at which you are checking your trans fluid... that would be why you "think" you are 1/2 qt low. that is not the fill plug at all... The diagram below shows the correct filler plug per Hyundai which is also the correct place to check fluid levels.

View attachment 121586

that being said, if the hex head bolt can be removed and used to fill the fluid for a complete exchange than so-be-it... but that is not actually the fill plug.

Now that we know that, the true fill plug might be the biggest bastard on the car to actually access. The only way to get to it and apply any torque is to from the front rach as the suspension is completely in the way.
This is true so drain the fluid then just add 2 quarts through the front fill hole it won't run out when full but much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 121586

Your post is worthless, as people have been able to fill it from the hex bolt, and NO ONE can find the bolt in the diagram. Best to just be quiet.

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
Your post is worthless, as people have been able to fill it from the hex bolt, and NO ONE can find the bolt in the diagram. Best to just be quiet.
For those of us that used our eyes, Bolt in the diagram is only reachable with the driver side wheel off. Quit being a prick

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
lol WAT? you be quiet, the big kids are talking.

Reactions: absoluteyeti
1 - 18 of 18 Posts