Veloster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soapbox rant starts here about screaming environmentalists, tuners and generally about people swinging disinformation about environmentalism around cars.

So i guess i'll start this by saying i have been actively working on reasonable ways to lessen my friends and family's enviromental impact on the planet and originally started school in mechanical and materials engineering with the hopes to work for eaton, cosworth or similar performance part companies some day. I have departed from the career path but still hold onto my desire to lessen my impact in a reasonable way.

Simple things i have done over the last 15 years included raising money to get my primary school district a wind turbine (which now powers the entire school district and generates additional money for the school), i have done cleanup days in offroad parks to pick up garbage, clear dead trees that pose fire or injury and maintain our 4x4 trail riding hobby. I have also started to go out of my way to avoid ordering things that are locally available to lessen my impact on the number of bunker fuel ships bring over our consumable materials from China.

Why this thread exists is because I'm honestly sick of all the "environmentalists" that scream about modifications on cars that increase the amount of pollution immediately in the air but replace their car built overseas every 3-5 years that travel on the dirtiest fueled ships to have ever wandered the seas. Please keep in mind that things like egr systems and catalytic converters only forstall when pollutants enter the air, everything is junked or recycled someday it's just conservation of mass.

Catalytic converts when recycled are usually melted down for their precious metal cores and reused. However during this process the crap it was designed to remove from the air is released and typically ends up in the air not at your house but the shreader a few cities away OR overseas in a cesspool garbage town where they use 0 controls.

This can also be said of the current electric car fad going on.(it is in fact a fad if history of tech holds true). Lithum rare earth mines are toxic hellholes that pollutes everything within miles of the mine and to add insult to injury they are usually overseas in countries with fewer controls, shipped on bunker fuel ships back and forth while they are processed and ultimately powered by any number of potentially unfriendly fuels (insert diesel generator tesla meme here)

My point in all of this is that people need to stop screaming about modding cars destroying the planet because a +10 year old car without a cat is far less damaging than a brand new car from overseas.

Also some fun inconvenient facts:
Only 15 of 50 states inspect cars, this accounts for less than 10-15% of all us cars on the road as of 2015
The materials that make up electric car batteries are not yet widely recyclable. We have the technology, it's just too expensive to do currently (see nuclear spent rods also)
Bunker fuel which almost all cargo ships still operate by, is single handedly the most toxic fuel still in use and is second only by airplane fuel which we use to fly to Disney world, business meetings that could be phone calls and other useless purposes
The military once a finacial year buys a ton of stuff they throw away to maintain their budget year to year

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - 3 of 3 Posts