Veloster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Make sure to add an oil catch can to your replacement engine. Even a 20.00 kit with baffles works with some good PCV hard tubing. GDI carbon build up is greatly reduced if you can keep those PCV deposits from forming on your valves and in your cylinder/injectors. One more thing and this is very important! Make sure your catalytic converter is clean and not clogged. All those deposits go right into it and melt it clogging it and that can kill your engine due to back pressure. So make sure to remove it and inspect and clean it out if needed.!!! Your last engine may have released some inside so check it out!!! If you do this your replacement engine will give you a long smooth running life. One last thing, if you see lots of oil sludge on the valves of the replacement engine (you can see it when the intake is off, you may need a video probe). CLEAN it and clean the injector tips. Do all before you run it. After you finish all you need to do is add a bottle of Chevron Complete fuel system cleaner every oil change. I worked in the parts and service department for a Hyundai dealership and learned a lot.
You are 100% Correct, Sooooo.. I bought a Brand New Catalytic Converter and absolutely will inspect the engine, although I do have a 5 year 5000 Mile warranty on it now on Parts and Labor.. So its not so bad.. But still Inspecting it. Also ordered the Catch Can for it as well.. I think it was around $40. So yea...Definitely need that as well, because I believe back pressure and Carbon build Up Killed that Engine.

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
OK, Huge Update! So basically, the 2012 - 2017 Accent Engine with VIN E will fit a Hyundai Veloster 2012 - 2017 with VIN D. Reason behind this is because the Transmission in an Accent with VIN E is not a Manual like the Turbo Version, It is an automatic so the Bell Housing Fits and the Wiring Harness is the same. I actually spoke to the Hyundai Service Folk and they confirmed! So That was Awesome for me.. I Now am getting an Engine with only 34k on it. Its like having a New Car lol.. Same ECU and Everything.
This made my day. 馃檹馃徑馃
Best of luck with it all and don't be afraid to rev the heck out of it once in a while. They love to rev and keeps carbon at bay when you do. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This made my day. 馃檹馃徑馃
Best of luck with it all and don't be afraid to rev the heck out of it once in a while. They love to rev and keeps carbon at bay when you do. 馃憤
Abso-Freaking-Lutely 馃槅.. Thanks.. Also.. I heard to add some steel wool to the Oil Can to catch and attract more oil. Cannot confirm or deny, just something I read somewhere.

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
Abso-Freaking-Lutely 馃槅.. Thanks.. Also.. I heard to add some steel wool to the Oil Can to catch and attract more oil. Cannot confirm or deny, just something I read somewhere.
Exactly. Make sure it's stainless steel wool and somewhat heavy gauge so it doesn't get sucked into the engine. 馃槵馃

I think we're all happy now. 馃檶馃憦馃憦馃槑

Registered
You are 100% Correct, Sooooo.. I bought a Brand New Catalytic Converter and absolutely will inspect the engine, although I do have a 5 year 5000 Mile warranty on it now on Parts and Labor.. So its not so bad.. But still Inspecting it. Also ordered the Catch Can for it as well.. I think it was around $40. So yea...Definitely need that as well, because I believe back pressure and Carbon build Up Killed that Engine.
Fantastic! I love my Veloster NA. Here's a bit of a funny story. I moved to St George Utah 2 years ago from Miami. Had my ride transported there. I ended up getting the car flooded!! Yes I moved from Miami to the desert and my car got flooded!! How ironic huh!! The water went up just below the USB plug. It was in my parking space so the engine wasn't running and the water drained right away. I disconnected the battery and had it towed to the collision center. The insurance totaled it out but I kept the money and kept the car. I looked at the water line after 1 week and made that decision. All I had to do was clean it out, clean a few ground points and replace the ABS module. Since it was stick shift no water got into the tranny and it never reached the intake or ECU. The main benefit is that it was not salt water too. I drove it out of the collision center and haven't had an issue since! That's a story of something good coming from something bad! So I expect this will happen to you! Not a flood but a long lasting fun car again! lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fantastic! I love my Veloster NA. Here's a bit of a funny story. I moved to St George Utah 2 years ago from Miami. Had my ride transported there. I ended up getting the car flooded!! Yes I moved from Miami to the desert and my car got flooded!! How ironic huh!! The water went up just below the USB plug. It was in my parking space so the engine wasn't running and the water drained right away. I disconnected the battery and had it towed to the collision center. The insurance totaled it out but I kept the money and kept the car. I looked at the water line after 1 week and made that decision. All I had to do was clean it out, clean a few ground points and replace the ABS module. Since it was stick shift no water got into the tranny and it never reached the intake or ECU. The main benefit is that it was not salt water too. I drove it out of the collision center and haven't had an issue since! That's a story of something good coming from something bad! So I expect this will happen to you! Not a flood but a long lasting fun car again! lol
All I can say to that is WOW! Thats like going to Miami and getting Stuck in an Avalanche! 馃槄馃槄, But still Great that it actually survived it. If it was an automatic Tranny, you definitely would have needed a new one. But can't wait to show you guys how it turns out. Very excited!

Registered
NAV engine from the Accent, Rio, Veloster, and Kia Soul are all the same for the 1.6 liter.
They'll all fit in as long as they're for the dct tranny as the bellhousing is specific to the dct transmission.
VIN D will work.
Turbo has its complications and yes you'll need the turbo ecu and wiring will be on the agenda if you go that route.

Stick with the na and you're good.
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. 馃憤
So I鈥檓 looking for a replacement motor for my 2014 Veloster. My Veloster is 8th vin #D I鈥檓 wondering if the 2018 accent 8th vin #3 will work

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok. And the Results are in! HECK YEA.. Perfect Fit! So yea.. as long as the Engine comes out of the Accent.. VIN "D" or "E" is good all the way up to 2017. But.. Remember.. the engine must have come out of the Accent.. if it's VIN "E" out of the Veloster, It won't work because the Harness is different because of the Manual Transmission. Here are pics of the Old Engine and the New Engine

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don't understand the reply. I explained that engines differ by vehicle model. So example, an engine with VIN "E" in a Veloster is different from an engine with VIN "D" in a Veloster thus will not be able to be swapped. But.. the Engine from an Accent with the VIN "E" or "D" is the same as a Veloster with the the VIN "D" and thus may be used to Swap for a blown engine in a Veloster.

weekend racer
2014 VT manual
im not sure i get it either - you can use your existing harness / coils / plugs / sensors / etc . if auto/manual just remove or add the flex plate...

Reactions: misnblu

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Incorrect, Bell Housing for Manual is different sensors are different, computers and Harness are different, not just the flex plate. Read about others experiences on forum trying to attempt it.

weekend racer
2014 VT manual
it doesn't make any sense that they would design three different blocks for the three different (and possibly more) transmissions. folks on the turbo forums have not run into this... a guy put a tuscon auto engine in his vt manual with no trouble.

can you provide any comparison photos or links?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Check these posts

Administrator
Interesting. I put a R Spec 14 engine that had a manual in my 13 Turbo Ultimate automatic no problems.

Edit: A turbo to a turbo and NAV to NAV swap should all be the same.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts