Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Base 1.6L. My engine is blown and I'm trying to buy a replacement. So from what my understanding is, I can replace the engine with a 1.6L from a KIA Rio, Hyundai Accent or Turbo Veloster. But what I want to know is, if my VIN's 8th digit is D and the Turbo is E do I have to swap out the ECU as well and would that ECU be compatible with the base Model?

· Registered
612 Posts
There's small minor differences in engine compatibility that i don't know the ins and outs of unfortunately. If your car is turbo you will need a turbo engine if it's na you will need only na engine.

Ecu is tied to manual or dct. Does not cross from my research.

Out of curiousity because i also have a blown engine that led to writing up the procedure to removing the engine here. What leads you to believe the engine is blown?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 cylinders are flatline, No Compression. Rebuilding is time consuming and not always the way to go. Id rather just drop a new engine with lower mileage and call it a day. To Rebuild would cost me around $1800, to buy a new engine with lower mileage and a 5 year warranty on parts and labor $2200. The math makes sense..

· Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
1,099 Posts
Basically I guess I'll just stick with the NAV engine with the same 8th digit as mine and call it a day to make things simple
NAV engine from the Accent, Rio, Veloster, and Kia Soul are all the same for the 1.6 liter.
They'll all fit in as long as they're for the dct tranny as the bellhousing is specific to the dct transmission.
VIN D will work.
Turbo has its complications and yes you'll need the turbo ecu and wiring will be on the agenda if you go that route.

Stick with the na and you're good.
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. 👍

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
As long as it’s the same visually it’s fine. What year accent ?

· Registered
1,099 Posts
So I have another Question? There is a Hyundai Accent with a 1.6L VIN E Engine and its Automatic. Can that Replace my 1.6L VIN D Engine?
No such thing. 🤷🏼‍♂️
All Accent motors that are normally aspirated have the 8th digit VIN D.
It's probably a misprint.
All the turbo motors are VIN E.

Accent motor will work but verify the VIN. 👍

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the comparisons, and Yes.. VIN E did come out of an Accent with an automatic transmission. These 2 are the Exact VINs of the Motors im looking to buy. The 2016 obviously newer and less mileage.

2016 Hyundai Accent
VIN KMHCT4AE0GU012685

2012 Hyundai Veloster
VIN KMHTC6AD0CU043464

Will that Accent motor with VIN E fit my 2013?

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Here are the comparisons, and Yes.. VIN E did come out of an Accent with an automatic transmission. These 2 are the Exact VINs of the Motors im looking to buy. The 2016 obviously newer and less mileage.

2016 Hyundai Accent
VIN KMHCT4AE0GU012685

2012 Hyundai Veloster
VIN KMHTC6AD0CU043464

Will that Accent motor with VIN E fit my 2013?
Good research and thanks for the clarification. 🙏🏽👍
Now the tough question about auto and dct motors and whether they would fit. 🤔🤨
That sir I cannot answer as I don't know an answer to that. 😔
Good luck and someone will chime in with a definite answer. 👍

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
You can swap it no problem Just be cognizant of any small gotchas like sensor differences and be sure to move your dct stuff over to the new motor in the bell housing of the trans. Label and document.

· Registered
34 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Base 1.6L. My engine is blown and I'm trying to buy a replacement. So from what my understanding is, I can replace the engine with a 1.6L from a KIA Rio, Hyundai Accent or Turbo Veloster. But what I want to know is, if my VIN's 8th digit is D and the Turbo is E do I have to swap out the ECU as well and would that ECU be compatible with the base Model?
Hi there. I was wondering if you found out the cause of the engine failure? Was it lack of oil? I ask because my 2014 with 33k does require me to add about 1/2 quart every 4-6 months due to my PCV system. I know because I see it in my oil catch can and the level does goes down because of it. It's not much but it does lose oil.

Reactions: Intense

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi there. I was wondering if you found out the cause of the engine failure? Was it lack of oil? I ask because my 2014 with 33k does require me to add about 1/2 quart every 4-6 months due to my PCV system. I know because I see it in my oil catch can and the level does goes down because of it. It's not much but it does lose oil.
That's a minimal amount of oil usage and I wouldn't be worried about it. You're actually doing good. 👍
Bye I went 6,000 miles before I changed my oil and never once had to add oil. I run catch cans too but have them vented to atmosphere. 😁

· Registered
34 Posts
That's a minimal amount of oil usage and I wouldn't be worried about it. You're actually doing good. 👍
Bye I went 6,000 miles before I changed my oil and never once had to add oil. I run catch cans too but have them vented to atmosphere. 😁
I understand that thx. My question applies to why his engine failed. I was hoping he knew.

Reactions: Intense and misnblu

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, Huge Update! So basically, the 2012 - 2017 Accent Engine with VIN E will fit a Hyundai Veloster 2012 - 2017 with VIN D. Reason behind this is because the Transmission in an Accent with VIN E is not a Manual like the Turbo Version, It is an automatic so the Bell Housing Fits and the Wiring Harness is the same. I actually spoke to the Hyundai Service Folk and they confirmed! So That was Awesome for me.. I Now am getting an Engine with only 34k on it. Its like having a New Car lol.. Same ECU and Everything.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the reason for the engine failure was Carbon Build up on the Pistons caused 2 cylinders to fail, it was also drinking oil like a drunk on Friday night! The GDI engine has a major flaw with that vs Port Injection.

· Registered
34 Posts
OK, Huge Update! So basically, the 2012 - 2017 Accent Engine with VIN E will fit a Hyundai Veloster 2012 - 2017 with VIN D. Reason behind this is because the Transmission in an Accent with VIN E is not a Manual like the Turbo Version, It is an automatic so the Bell Housing Fits and the Wiring Harness is the same. I actually spoke to the Hyundai Service Folk and they confirmed! So That was Awesome for me.. I Now am getting an Engine with only 34k on it. Its like having a New Car lol.. Same ECU and Everything.
That is some great news bro!!! Congrats!

Reactions: misnblu and Intense

· Registered
34 Posts
So the reason for the engine failure was Carbon Build up on the Pistons caused 2 cylinders to fail, it was also drinking oil like a drunk on Friday night! The GDI engine has a major flaw with that vs Port Injection.
Make sure to add an oil catch can to your replacement engine. Even a 20.00 kit with baffles works with some good PCV hard tubing. GDI carbon build up is greatly reduced if you can keep those PCV deposits from forming on your valves and in your cylinder/injectors. One more thing and this is very important! Make sure your catalytic converter is clean and not clogged. All those deposits go right into it and melt it clogging it and that can kill your engine due to back pressure. So make sure to remove it and inspect and clean it out if needed.!!! Your last engine may have released some inside so check it out!!! If you do this your replacement engine will give you a long smooth running life. One last thing, if you see lots of oil sludge on the valves of the replacement engine (you can see it when the intake is off, you may need a video probe). CLEAN it and clean the injector tips. Do all before you run it. After you finish all you need to do is add a bottle of Chevron Complete fuel system cleaner every oil change. I worked in the parts and service department for a Hyundai dealership and learned a lot.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts