Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

So, i have a project for my veloster, I have no idea if it will work or not, I'm getting all the informations I can, to see if it's possible or not , do you think if it's possible to fit a 2.0L engine in Veloster's engine bay ?
I'm planning to swap my N/A engine to the Audi TTS engine 2.0 L 272 hp what do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
hey, good luck, i'm pretty good in custom engineering and i wouldn't even be bothered to try that. i'd be more interested in the 2.4t from the optima/sonata... would be much much easier.

then again if you can afford the audi motor chances are you could have a shop figure this out for you.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, good luck, i'm pretty good in custom engineering and i wouldn't even be bothered to try that. i'd be more interested in the 2.4t from the optima/sonata... would be much much easier.

then again if you can afford the audi motor chances are you could have a shop figure this out for you.....
Thank you for taking your time helping me out mate, I may consider what you said , but my concern is the fitting, I've heard that anything higher than 2.0L wouldn't fit without some body work, and even with some bodywork sometimes it wouldn't fit, because the engine bay is small, and it kinda is..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think a 2.0 audi engine would fit, at the most some stuff might need to be shaved like A/C compressor... We did some calculations when I was visiting my engine swap guru friend, and an EJ20 will fit no problems, with the concern being transmission routing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a 2.0 audi engine would fit, at the most some stuff might need to be shaved like A/C compressor... We did some calculations when I was visiting my engine swap guru friend, and an EJ20 will fit no problems, with the concern being transmission routing.
I think an rb26 could fit here too, the ej20 is not a bad idea tho

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Honestly the battery is the most wasted space in the V engine bay. Relocation to the trunk would free up more than 2 cubic feet of space (stuff under it too).

With the removal of that and the intake box (which is also huge) the engine bay is quite roomy.

26 would be pushing it, and I don't know of any transaxles that would fit the RB as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly the battery is the most wasted space in the V engine bay. Relocation to the trunk would free up more than 2 cubic feet of space (stuff under it too).

With the removal of that and the intake box (which is also huge) the engine bay is quite roomy.

26 would be pushing it, and I don't know of any transaxles that would fit the RB as well.
Thanks for the info mate, one more question,
You probably going to tell me to sell my V and buy a VT instead, but do you think the gamma 1.6 GDI could handle a td04 turbo ? Or a smaller turbo ?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,082 Posts
probably... but i doubt it would handle 18 lbs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorry for bothering you with this, but I'm not that good in English xD what do you mean with 18lbs ?

18 lbs - 18 PSI - 18 Pounds per square inch.

Reactions: TiagoSantos

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You could lower the compression ratio in the engine and probably push up to 13 IMO. But I think the 1.6 would handle a turbo, it's a solid engine.

I had a turbo for my 1.5l xB ready, I used a stock turbo from a 300zx, 3L twin turbo divided by 2 = 1.5l single turbo lol. I had a set of lower compression pistons on standby, I was going to drop it to around 9:1 compression and use Subaru injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could lower the compression ratio in the engine and probably push up to 13 IMO. But I think the 1.6 would handle a turbo, it's a solid engine.

I had a turbo for my 1.5l xB ready, I used a stock turbo from a 300zx, 3L twin turbo divided by 2 = 1.5l single turbo lol. I had a set of lower compression pistons on standby, I was going to drop it to around 9:1 compression and use Subaru injectors.
Thanks ,anyways like I said, I don't too much power, my engine for now is stock 140 HP, I want to add +50/60 HP it's my daily so I don't really need more than that, and I think 6 PSI should be enough, I was looking at forged pistons do you think it's worth it?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Forged pistons are not necessary at 6PSI IMO. The biggest worry with a turbo GDI engine is low speed pre-ignition. It's a problem not specific to hyundai or these engines, it just happens. Do some research on it to be safe, and have the audi engine on stanby lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts

i had a boosted toyota echo cup back in the day... those engines are damn bulletprouf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forged pistons are not necessary at 6PSI IMO. The biggest worry with a turbo GDI engine is low speed pre-ignition. It's a problem not specific to hyundai or these engines, it just happens. Do some research on it to be safe, and have the audi engine on stanby lol.
I think i may go with a new intake manifold, larger throttle body, a cold air intake and maybe an high flow catalytic converter for now, later I'll spend a little more money on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,

So, i have a project for my veloster, I have no idea if it will work or not, I'm getting all the informations I can, to see if it's possible or not , do you think if it's possible to fit a 2.0L engine in Veloster's engine bay ?
I'm planning to swap my N/A engine to the Audi TTS engine 2.0 L 272 hp what do you guys think?

any luck on the swap?

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA(brother's now), 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
359 Posts
any luck on the swap?
He hasn't logged in since 2018, i suspect it never happened like a lot of engine swap discussions here. I've tossed around the idea of throwing one of my spare ej22s or AAA VR6 spares into my veloster when I buy my next daily driver but it wouldn't be an over night job or ground breaking performance gain. More of a "why not" project some day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yo guys how's it going my veloster just took a dump on me
so im waiting to see what the mechanics tell me... it sounds like somethings hitting the fan now it doesn't start someone told me it might the spark plugs or starter but I'm looking around for any other options if its bad ill swap it so the sonata or optima would fit like a glove you think!?

you guys think a genesis coupe engine would fit!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts