Veloster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys backstory... 2012 Hyundai Veloster DCT trans... Going to work the other day 3500 RPM Kaboom bottem end pops.. (image 1). Decided to go balls out and stuff a GF4J into her.. After a relentless search I can across a beautiful 2013 in a salvage auction. I was out bid but the buyer had plans to part it out. After some haggleing I was able to aquire the Engine, ECM, harness, exaust, rad, intercooler, piping Ect ECT... (Image 2). Now I live alone up in NE PA and literally had no way to swap an engine. I had he hand tools bit none of the larger equipment.. I so useing my fabulous $50,000 engineering degree from ESU.... I went to work on picking making a hoist..(image 3). A few boards and busted up pallets later this thing was born.. I found a block and tackle at a thrift store. And Wala... So I removed the NA engine from the 2012 leaving the DCT attached. I removed every sensor and wire in case any needed changed on the new engine and reversed the process to install the GDI-T. (Image 4) I worked through the night. My projector shone aginst the building I rent out of music playing and all... And then the rain came.. I had to stop and quickly make a shelter to finish the engine... I ran to home Depot and got more wood and tarps.. and make a 14/12 crack shack to work in (image 5). I fined getting the engine in and mounted

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After she was installed I because the normal.
Of course before I put the engine in a change the rear main seal just because I always have... The engine has 37400 miles on it. (Not letting me upload more.photos)..... Everything said and done I realized two things very fast. Won the 2013 Veloster never came with a DCT trans they felt that the 270 NM rating cut too close to the Baseline power of the GDIT engine. I decided to keep the DCT transmission because I found brand new clutches brand new clutch springs and a few parts.. what's the worse thing that could happen?? I pop a trans? Well no risk no reward.... So this engine ECM harness ect was told some an automatic 2013 and of course this guy cut the harness at the firewall locations....thanks you lazy SOB...I thought eh let's just wire this puppy in...so oviously the computer the T18C is pinned for the automatic transmission. I thought I would simply wire in the Dual clutch Transmissions W/O Cruse signal. Because after thoroughly and inspecting the 10 out of the 2012 that's really the only communication that goes into the ECM from the DCT because the TCM handles all the rest. There are a few other pins that are currently slightly confusing but I'll sort Then I think.. it might just be in the way the 10 oz from Hyundai are labeled. Grabbing one of the harness side male ECM plugs I immediately noticed size and shape difference.. so wiring the turbo, fan and other missing sensors into the current harness and being able to plug them into the new computer went out the window. So I thought I would just remove the male adapters off the turbo harness and install them onto the non turbo harness and still wire in all the sensors. But of course depends are incredibly Fickle.. testing out on one of the non-essential pins to make sure I didn't booger it up she does not want to come out of the adapter. At this point I'm stuck with a few options and I could really use some help here.

#1. Remove the entire harness out of the Veloster bring it upstairs and continue to try to depin and repin the adapters. I would bring it inside just because I don't want to try to depend the harness in an awkward position.

#2 I could sort out a 2016 harness that came with the DCT and essentially and theoretically it would be Plug and Play only this worries me because I'm not sure if the connection between the engine harness and the main harness Terry the same plugs.. the two points where the harness enters the vehicle under the blower motor on the passenger side and on the driver side to the throttle pedal the brake pedal and the Box... I could easily wire in the throttle pedal because I'm pretty sure that plugs different but the other plugs worry me.... Also will I have to change the computer again for 2016... I don't believe so because the motor itself is identical from what I have read and discuss with Hyundai.

#3 there is a large collection of automatic transmission based wires that would be left unpin from the ECM. All the range sensors ship sensors and so forth. I would simply remove the wire completely as it it would have nothing to do with the DCT Transmissions communication. Figure it's going to through a code or two

I guess my questions here are can anybody confirm the dash side plugins being able to mate correctly with the 2013 harness once I finish fixing all the places.it has been choped.using the 2012 harness for parts.

And or if a 2016 will plug into the 2012 Dash side..

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
I wish you luck.

I don't think this is possible, but please don't let me stand in your way.

Again, good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I've seen numerous and a turbo swaps done already I'm just trying to compile it with a different transmission

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the money so it's not about that and since the only thing that differentiates the transmission being the DC 7 speed or 6 Speed is the computer solve the plug matches it will operate as intended otherwise I'll rip that sucking dash out and change out harness too LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
i don’t think the ecu for a 7 spd will recognize a 6 spd tcu. You gotta somehow crack the programming of the turbo ecu to sync with the older tcu.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See that's just it the only thing that understands the gearing of the DCT transmission is the transmission computer there's only two points where the ECU talks to the DCT and that's neutral for and the mobilizer. The transmission computer takes control of all the rest

·
Registered
61 Posts
doesn't the ecu have to relay the info regarding sport and manual mode and shifter/paddles to the tcu? the cluster display is controlled by the ecu so it must get info from the tcu and if they're not friends then things don't work out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No the only communication between the ECU and TCU is engine WO and Display. Nothing else. Once the harness jumps to the TCU and then piggy backs into the DASH harness ext. It all goes via the TCU. As a update I am already finished and it rides flawlessly

·
Registered
15 Posts
No the only communication between the ECU and TCU is engine WO and Display. Nothing else. Once the harness jumps to the TCU and then piggy backs into the DASH harness ext. It all goes via the TCU. As a update I am already finished and it rides flawlessly
So the re wiring went well I take it? I don't think this forum has seen one done yet, but I've seen a few claims of success and one YouTube video showing a successful swap. None with the DCT though. Please keep us updated if anything breaks or what not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its not letting me posted anymore.photos but I have detailed information for this harness and such. Just hoping for solid answers..
Where did you get/ find the harness information and electrical schematics when doing this swap?
Great job man and kudos for not giving up. 👍🙏🏽

1 - 12 of 12 Posts