Veloster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP.. My 2013 Veloster base model is blown
Mis fire in cylinder 1 and 2. I can start the car and engine turns but shakes...very badly.

Can you please tell me what engine will fit my car BUT... Im upgrading to turbo. Please and thank you. Grew up with out a dad.. Learning on my own. Amy advice ill appreciate. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Ignition coils are becoming expensive and when there is a code for a misfire usually the cylinder is identified. There is a well established procedure for verifying the cylinder that is having the misfiring because of a bad ignition coil.
So with this knowledge in hand it is foolhardy to replace all the ignition coils when there is only a single bad ignition coil.
On the other hand when it comes to spark plugs, they seldom go bad and usually succumb to engine miles, so replacing the whole set of four is the preferred procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Misfires are typically attributed to a faulty ignition coil, and you'll want to replace all four of them when you do as well as the plugs. I'd try to do that relatively easy repair before committing to swapping the whole engine out.
Thank you very very much. Im lost on this. So will order those parts today. I was reading some forums from the guys on here and im understanding that i should purchase OEM parts,correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ignition coils are becoming expensive and when there is a code for a misfire usually the cylinder is identified. There is a well established procedure for verifying the cylinder that is having the misfiring because of a bad ignition coil.
So with this knowledge in hand it is foolhardy to replace all the ignition coils when there is only a single bad ignition coil.
On the other hand when it comes to spark plugs, they seldom go bad and usually succumb to engine miles, so replacing the whole set of four is the preferred procedure.
All spark plugs are new. And im getting codes for a misfire on cylinder 1 and 2? I took it to a mechanic and he tried flashing the computer and cant figure out how to reflash it properly, reason he tried reflashing was bc the car went into some mode where it would not go over 25mph. So he told me.."he thinks bc if where my cool air intake is located down by the driver wheel well he states i sucked up water into cylinder 2 and blew cylinder 2." But i also just took this guy too court for $15,000 for damages to my cars and non release of the vehicle after full payment was received. He counter sued me for $11k for storage fees and lost. He held my car in his back lot from dec 2020 to may 5th 2022. So.. Now I just got my car back and when i start the car the engine shakes...really bad and then starts puttering like its going to shut off.

·
Registered
slow AF
23 Posts
"he thinks bc if where my cool air intake is located down by the driver wheel well he states i sucked up water into cylinder 2 and blew cylinder 2."
that's most likely bs, unless you drove through a pond or whoever did your cai didnt reinstall the fender liner. I highly doubt your engine is blown based on the information you've provided, so like the other guys said, replace coils and see if that fixes anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's most likely bs, unless you drove through a pond or whoever did your cai didnt reinstall the fender liner. I highly doubt your engine is blown based on the information you've provided, so like the other guys said, replace coils and see if that fixes anything.
Thank you!. Will do. And I thought he was full of **** at 1st.. This explains alot now Hence: why he was trying to keep my car bc it really was not as big of a problem as he was saying with the engine being blown ect. I already filed another lawsuit against him for damages to my car for sitting 1.6 years in his junk yard under a sap tree. So im hoping I can win some money and put it back into the car. So if the engine is not blown ill most likely order these parts..fix it then just upgrade a intercooler..pipes and turbo. Bc its not a turbo yet and thats my 2nd goal after getting the engine fixed. (Digger automotive and towing canton ohio) dont go there...ever!!

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
yes just get oem nkg plugs, then start with new oem coilpacks after.

non turbo has 100k replacement for plugs, but its certainly possible for coil or plug to fail, the plugs always tell the tale. so pull em take photos and tell us.

·
Registered
2015 VT Manual
610 Posts
I was under the impression that when one goes, the rest were sure to follow. Figure his car is nine years old so it wouldn't hurt, imo.

I was reading some forums from the guys on here and im understanding that i should purchase OEM parts,correct?
Yes. There's a guy on Facebook that sources OEM parts cheap & quickly. Just shoot him a DM Log into Facebook

·
Registered
158 Posts
Before tossing out an entire engine. Check the apark plugs. If burnt orange onceramic part then its a good bet thats all it is. Converting to a Turbo may entail more than just dropping the engine in. You may need to uograde the cooling system, exhaust, ECM. The cost may be as much as just buying a used turbo.

·
Registered
2014 & 2022 Veloster-Elantra N Line
49 Posts
Mis fire in cylinder 1 and 2. I can start the car and engine turns but shakes...very badly.

Can you please tell me what engine will fit my car BUT... Im upgrading to turbo. Please and thank you. Grew up with out a dad.. Learning on my own. Amy advice ill appreciate. Thanks agian.
Well hmmm.. mis fires are more then just ignition coil’s and spark plugs. It’s also can be vacuum leaks and also fuel injectors causing mis-fires. The simplest way to see if it’s the cylinder 1 and 2 coils going bad is to first change all 4 plugs for new ones and exchange coils 1-2 for coils 3-4. Don’t start it yet. Clear the codes, then start you car and take it for a ride until the code pops up again. Re-scan to see if the codes show the 1 thru 2 is misfires again or since you switched coils 1-2 to cyl 3-4 see if it moved to misfiring on 3-4? If so, then your coils all need too be replaced. But if cylinders 1-2 is still popping codes P0301 and P0302 then check for intake vacuum leaks. If none. Then it could be your fuel injectors being clogged up. By the way did you ever have that GDI engine intake valve cleaning done? It’s supposed to be done every 15,000 miles. If not then your intake valves may be clogged up with carbon and not allowing a full seal in the combustion chambers of cyl 1-2. With those GDi engines although great they need more maintenance then port injected engines do.
Hope this helps? Going turbo isn’t recommended with your NAV. You would need a low mileage GDI T engine and transmission with all the DTC modules and body control computers also. Plus the dash with all its dials wires harnesses. Also Engine bay wiring and harnesses etc. I would just get a VT.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Misfire can be 3 common problems faulty sparks plugs, ignition coils or fuel injectors. But the most common are the ignition coil. Simple troubleshooting mark it by number and swap them and check if the misfire chance cylinder position...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts