Veloster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a youtube vid on changing the oil and filter on my "new" 2012, NAV, 6 speed. I do most of my own service; always have, and the last thing I want to do is get a big potentially expensive surprise from lack of knowledge because today's cars are NOT your grandfather's cars! Hell, the automatics don't even have transmission dipsticks in them (I guess)!!! Well the car in the vid had an engine splash-guard which had to be removed to change the oil and filter. Should I have a guard?
I changed the oil and filter last weekend even though the paperwork provided when I bought the car stated that the oil (and filter (?)) was changed by the dealer/lot before I bought it. I wanted to change it for 2 reasons: #1) so I KNEW it was done and #3) to familiarize myself a little with the car. In fact, something very helpful was revealed by my inspection; the air filter canister lid/top was just sitting on top of the "hinges" on the in-board side and on top of the 2 clamps. My wife was impressed by the guttural growl the engine made with even moderate throttle depression but I didn't think it sounded "right"; even though I was totally in the dark as to how the engine should sound. Well, as soon as I clamped the filter housing together properly the growl stopped. 'Point being, my air filter was useless as the filter sits in the bottom and the air intake is in the top, err,,, I think. LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,271 Posts
Just make sure you use a genuine Hyundai oil filter. They are cheap and these cars seem to like them better than aftermarket filters

·
weekend racer
6,462 Posts
i don't remember there being a guard in the way of changing the filter.

and like nvy said, please use an OEM filter or at the very least a WIX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just make sure you use a genuine Hyundai oil filter. They are cheap and these cars seem to like them better than aftermarket filters
Thanks nvyseal for the advice! I did not get one at a Hyundai dealer. I picked one up at my local Bumper To Bumper branch. It is a Wix but I am in bed asleep right now so I'm not going back to the shop to get the filter number for approval from those in the know. 'Will post tomorrow when I am conscious.
[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't remember there being a guard in the way of changing the filter.

and like nvy said, please use an OEM filter or at the very least a WIX.
Thanks HighRPMMarriage
You know I have not gone back to view said video again, and it seems that all things Veloster are scarce, videos or other. 'Coarse I have only just started looking as I am a new owner. I will go back to try and find the vid to see if it was actually and specifically for Veloster, or if it was for the Hyundai model that seems to pop up when I search for Velosiraptor. Whoops, sorry. My tongue sometimes get wrapped around my eyetooth and I can't see what I am saying.
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
[email protected]
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing