Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my engine is gone and I need to replaced it. Can anyone give me a rundown on the removal and installation?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Pull all wires, lines, cables, straps, etc, clamp off and remove all hoses. I would mark anything that isn't obvious what it's for. Strap the engine to a hoist, undo all bolts, and with your fenders guarded and most likely your hood off, pull the engine out of the bay.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
weekend racer
7,555 Posts
FWIW you can also remove the radiator and radiator support for easier access.

Reactions: GaijinPDX

·
Registered
155 Posts
To do it fast, one needs a few highly trained friends..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did this last year in the same model. You will want to remove the front bumper, radiator, headlights, washer bottle, and hood. Its a very easy swap just take your time. The wiring harness will fall back in place and and the connectors will only attach to were they came from. It is easier to pull the engine and the trans together but you can pull engine and replace with out pulling the trans. That's how I did it. I did the job my self. The last time I did and engine swap was 30 years ago. This was much easier. The Service manual will help with how to disconnect may of the items to prepare to remove the engine. But if you are pull from the top like I did you will not have to remove all the frame work and drive axles. If you pull the Trans as well you you have to remove the axles which it very easy. This is the time to inspect the boots and replace it needed.

As for the engine. I use an engine from a 2016 Accent. Its the exact same engine. They only thing I had to swap over was the High pressure fuel pump. I swapped a bracket for the EGR (I think). Only because it laid nicer. There is no difference in an engine from an Automatic or Manual. But there is a 1/4" spacer plate on the automatic engine. This is not well noted in the service manual. ONLY the automatic trans uses that spacer. I learned that that hard way and found the spacer by accident.
Its pretty straight forward. Just take your time and ask questions. Don't try to rush the job. But it can be done in one day. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to hijack a thread but I cannot find precise info on my situation. I have unbolted and removed all wiring etc along with the engine and automatic transmission from my sons 2013 veloster turbo in order to do an engine swap. Is the transmission supposed to come apart easily from the engine once it is unbolted? I am having a time with the backside coming apart? The front side will move about 1/2" apart? I believe that it should be removed equally and not ****-eyed? All bolts appear to be out since I have the new motor to reference the bolt holes? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having the same issue halving the transmission from the engine. All bolts removed (one snapped off) bud it wont separate. Was there a special trick? Hammer & Wood? Twisting? I followed the Hyundai service manual removal instructions.... and double checked all the bolts are removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m a lil late to the party, but I have a ‘12 veloster that I need to replace the engine in. The engine swap shouldn’t be an issue, and i have made note of tips and tricks on removal read on this thread. My question is, what about the computer and electronics? Do they have to be reflashed by dealer to run properly with new engine or will it just plug n’ play and run without issue? My thinking is the former. Thanks for any input and/or help.

·
weekend racer
7,555 Posts
Should be plug and play

Reactions: SVTfocusO3
1 - 15 of 15 Posts