Veloster Forum banner

Engine failure issue

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  V-Newbian 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Matthew and I’m from the UK, I have owned a VT for 4 years now and it’s been my pride and joy, it all went horribly wrong though last Thursday with a catastrophic engine failure.
When it happened I got on line and searched for topics on the failures for the Veloster and came across an article concerning the recall in the States for as many as 129000 cars across some Hyundai models, including the Veloster, for a connecting rod bearing issue, the recall started at the beginning of this year. Reading the symptoms for this issue started alarm bells ringing, the smoke, rattling and the hesitation, I have experienced all of those over the past year and as such I feel this was the cause of the failure in my engine
I read a post by one of the members who had a failure on 16/10/2018, his description of the event mirrored mine, It got me thinking, how long has this issue been brewing in the US and what made Hyundai over there sit up and take notice ?
I contacted Hyundai UK to learn that they had no knowledge of this recall in the US, I think I will have to have some sort of battle with them in order for them to follow suit like the US who are replacing the engines.
Just wondering if anyone could give me some background on this please, the more I know the better, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Matthew

See less See more
#2 ·
we need more info on yours...

#5 ·
We also have the 1.6T but I think our 2013's were rated at 201 HP where the Euro's, AU's were at 183

#6 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Matthew and I’m from the UK, I have owned a VT for 4 years now and it’s been my pride and joy, it all went horribly wrong though last Thursday with a catastrophic engine failure.
When it happened I got on line and searched for topics on the failures for the Veloster and came across an article concerning the recall in the States for as many as 129000 cars across some Hyundai models, including the Veloster, for a connecting rod bearing issue, the recall started at the beginning of this year. Reading the symptoms for this issue started alarm bells ringing, the smoke, rattling and the hesitation, I have experienced all of those over the past year and as such I feel this was the cause of the failure in my engine
I read a post by one of the members who had a failure on 16/10/2018, his description of the event mirrored mine, It got me thinking, how long has this issue been brewing in the US and what made Hyundai over there sit up and take notice ?
I contacted Hyundai UK to learn that they had no knowledge of this recall in the US, I think I will have to have some sort of battle with them in order for them to follow suit like the US who are replacing the engines.
Just wondering if anyone could give me some background on this please, the more I know the better, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Matthew
Interesting write-up. My 2013 failed with 194k miles. I didn’t know about the recall and one just showed up about a check engine issue. Mine started burning oil and when on my way for a Saturday run, oil light followed by check engine lite up the dash then rattle rattle engine failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.