Veloster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of intermittent hesitation during shifts and acceleration, the check engine light not coming on until 2-3 months into the problems, and three different shops not being able to diagnose it...the dealership finally said they found a lot of loose metal in the transmission. Quoted me $7,000 to replace it. A few months ago they quoted me $3900, but since no one was sure what the problem was, I decided to wait until they could at least pull a code. My service advisor said the transmission by itself costs $5,000 now - prices have gone up.

Anyway, that's twice what the car's worth, but I don't want to buy a new car and I don't want to spend $7K on a transmission. Is it feasible to buy a remanufactured transmission online and find a shop that will install it? I haven't done much searching online yet, but it looks like I can get a transmission for around $1K. Is this a dumb idea? Will a shop even do this? Do I have it shipped to the shop?

If it's a good idea - what sites should I look at for buying one?

FYI - I'm also calling around some other shops to get quotes from them, hoping they'll be cheaper than $7K. I've got a 2013 base model with 159,000 miles.

·
Administrator
4,692 Posts
You probably should look online for a trans. Maybe a junk yard? Have you looked at LKQ many have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
See my post about replacing my 2012 DCT.

Should be similar. See if it's in your scope of work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BTW - they replace entire assemblies because thats how they ship from the motherland... If you need a warranty repair - their procedures are to swap out parts. Out of warranty $7k plus labor sounds about right - because it is the entire DCT - not just the broken pcs. inside.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dealerships will usually not install used. The install new with a lot of markup. Replacing an automatic transf be it used or new require more beyond the quote.

If you do replace it, verify if the cost includes engine and transmission mounts, fluid and any other parts that they will surely say needs replacing after you have already agreed for one ammount.

Also, every transmission drain plug being magnetic usually, will have bits of normal metalic like goo on the end. Its a commo trick.

Every trans will have some fine metal shavings due to norm wear.

Its a feont wheel drive car so the CV axles rely on the trans fluid to lubricate.

If its bad or you had those serviced, they may not of put the full amount back in which is what Hyundai NW did to my manual trans and told me when i brought it back with clicking noises i needed a new trans.

I told them to piss off, checked it and they never refilled it so was at 50% full.

Rellaced with Royal Purple oil and trans went 5 years no problems till i just tradrd it in.

So if I were you, get the fluid and filter changed first if not in your garage yourself, take it to a seperate shop.

The cost is worth the risk. A new trans is more than the cars value and a used could be plagued with problems after install and the installer wont guarantee a used trans and your out double the money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had transmission problems on an older car I once had (2000 Honda Accord) and I was looking at $4,000 to replace the transmission, well long story short I found someone who rebuilds transmissions for a lot less, I believe I paid like $1,500. Anyways there are people out there that rebuild transmissions for a lot less. They are professional and are legitimate, best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts