Veloster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, so I have a 2012 Veloster with the DCT auto. A couple months back the transmission refused to leave neutral. I can physically move the shift from PARK all the way down to DRIVE, but mechanically the transmission will not go into gear. I aslo drained some of the fluid and it does not look ok, tell me what you guys think. I really believe it needs to be changed obviously, but could this be th

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like water got in there? Dunno how you got water into the gear oil cuz it’s closed up.
is the CEL flashing? Any codes? I doubt just changing out the gear oil is gonna help...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Im really not sure, both are an oil consistency you know, i cant quite say that there is water in there for sure. No CEL however either, there was for a misfiring cyclinder, which was a spark plug but now no codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anybody have any other ideas as to what might be the issue, I have read on other threads about similar issues but nothing really 100% positive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Time for that 10 year powertrain warranty to come into play...

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is totally freaky...last week, I had 2 plugs fail. Sent the system into a total frenzy. Electrical system fault, transmission in limp mode, engine running on 2 cylinders. So, got the 4 spark plugs replaced. All the engine codes cleared, running like a champ. Then, got a call from my daughter (it's now her car) it will not go. Dash says "D" but the it's not moving. After a few minutes another call... got it moving after shutting off and restarting. Still, no lights on the dash or codes. Took it to my local transmission guy, he spent 30 minutes driving around, stopping, starting, etc...and could not find any issues and still no codes. Suggested I have the dealer re-initialize the system. So, took it to the dealer and the system would not initialize or pass a "point to point" test. So, they replaced the transmission control unit at the suggestion of the tech line....$1300.00!!! But, I'm still having the same issue with not going into gear, after they assured me it was fixed and showing no errors. So, it's back to the dealership on Monday and they are going to keep it a couple of days. I'll let you know what they find.

No warranty here, either....2012 with 227,750 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is totally freaky...last week, I had 2 plugs fail. Sent the system into a total frenzy. Electrical system fault, transmission in limp mode, engine running on 2 cylinders. So, got the 4 spark plugs replaced. All the engine codes cleared, running like a champ. Then, got a call from my daughter (it's now her car) it will not go. Dash says "D" but the it's not moving. After a few minutes another call... got it moving after shutting off and restarting. Still, no lights on the dash or codes. Took it to my local transmission guy, he spent 30 minutes driving around, stopping, starting, etc...and could not find any issues and still no codes. Suggested I have the dealer re-initialize the system. So, took it to the dealer and the system would not initialize or pass a "point to point" test. So, they replaced the transmission control unit at the suggestion of the tech line....$1300.00!!! But, I'm still having the same issue with not going into gear, after they assured me it was fixed and showing no errors. So, it's back to the dealership on Monday and they are going to keep it a couple of days. I'll let you know what they find.

No warranty here, either....2012 with 227,750 miles.

Please let me know what they find out! I am curious as to what happens with yours, Im trying to avoid replacing the tranny. I have come to the realization that my ex (she had the car for some time then the tranny died so now I have the car back) she had the tranny fluid replaced, but obviously it was the wrong fluid as you can see in the photo. I am replacing it with the correct fluid this evening, if by slim chance that even changes anything -_-

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update: They actually replaced the shift actuator, not the transmission control unit. So, I took it back to the dealer Monday morning. They ran some tests when I got there, but it showed nothing. I think they were just as perplexed as I was about what was going on. So, I left it there for the day so they could spend some time with it. Late that afternoon, they called and said they had been on the phone with the tech support line for a couple of hours. They diagnosed it down to the crankshaft position sensor sending erroneous signals back to the ECU, basically making the ECU think the engine was not running. This makes since, because at least one occurrence of the problem involved not seeing a RPM indication on the gauge. Anyway, I okay-ed the replacement of the sensor, which was $338.00. The next day, they said the tech, my service adviser and the service supervisor spent the morning and early after noon test driving. Sounds about right, the odometer had almost 60 more miles on the car. They said everything was working fine and they could not get the issue to happen again. That is where it stands right now. I have driven it a few times and my daughter has too, with no issues. But, I have lost confidence in the car and afraid that this is the start of multiple failures. It will probably be traded this weekend.

·
weekend racer
7,540 Posts
welp with 227k it was an impressive run. next car going to be a manual? :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually, it became my daughters car about 4 months ago. I was hoping to get 2-3 years of easy driving with her as she finished up her last 2 years of high school. But that's not happening. So, she will be getting another car this weekend. I've got a preliminary deal worked out over the phone for a 2018 Elantra (one step up from the cheap one)....16,000 OTD maybe a little less. But we will see???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: They actually replaced the shift actuator, not the transmission control unit. So, I took it back to the dealer Monday morning. They ran some tests when I got there, but it showed nothing. I think they were just as perplexed as I was about what was going on. So, I left it there for the day so they could spend some time with it. Late that afternoon, they called and said they had been on the phone with the tech support line for a couple of hours. They diagnosed it down to the crankshaft position sensor sending erroneous signals back to the ECU, basically making the ECU think the engine was not running. This makes since, because at least one occurrence of the problem involved not seeing a RPM indication on the gauge. Anyway, I okay-ed the replacement of the sensor, which was $338.00. The next day, they said the tech, my service adviser and the service supervisor spent the morning and early after noon test driving. Sounds about right, the odometer had almost 60 more miles on the car. They said everything was working fine and they could not get the issue to happen again. That is where it stands right now. I have driven it a few times and my daughter has too, with no issues. But, I have lost confidence in the car and afraid that this is the start of multiple failures. It will probably be traded this weekend.
That's great news for you, just to clarify however, did they replace the Gate Shift Actuator or the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I recently replaced the neutral safety switch, unfortunately that did not resolve the issue, I now have the gate shift actuator out and I am putting in a new one this weekend, hopefully with some positive results. If not I will have to tow the car over to Hyundai for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, so I have a 2012 Veloster with the DCT auto. A couple months back the transmission refused to leave neutral. I can physically move the shift from PARK all the way down to DRIVE, but mechanically the transmission will not go into gear. I aslo drained some of the fluid and it does not look ok, tell me what you guys think. I really believe it needs to be changed obviously, but could this be th
It's not your DCT your car has 3 catalytic converters one the pipe 2 on the engine, the one on the engine is the issue, hard to believe but true, pull the sensor plug on it and your car will move!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same car exact sane problem. I’m curious about this, after a while it will be ok again. Did you ever find out anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
t's not your DCT your car has 3 catalytic converters one the pipe 2 on the engine, the one on the engine is the issue, hard to believe but true, pull the sensor plug on it and your car will move!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problems with my 2013 and the Hyundai dealership keeps saying they have to do a diagnostic $175. I already had it done & they say there is no problem. If anyone has answers or updates on what happened please let me know before I have to go back to the dealership. Please and Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts