Veloster Forum banner

DCT swap between model years? HELP!!

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Yelin666 
No transmission flush beforehand - I know, so dumb. In specific I have a CEL code P0900 which is for the odd clutch actuator motor/open circuit. I can’t prove it but I have a feeling this is from welding on that quarter panel, even though I disconnected the negative terminal while doing so. The 2012 is also a DCT and has the exact same engine as the 2013, but what I’m getting (vaguely) is the 2013-2016 transmissions are the same, but for some reason not the 2012s. But, if the engines are the same (and the clutch) ... shouldn’t the transmissions at least be compatible?
Another option I have is to just replace the clutch, probably the flywheel while I’m at it, but frankly a whole transmission swap is simpler than a clutch replacement for someone with limited experience, ya know? I’m pretty savvy, have the tools, just kinda working blindly for the most part. I appreciate the response buddy.
This isn't the same as changing the clutch on a standard manual. It requires special tooling, careful installation (!) and a dealer computer that can run the "relearn" program.

1: That code indicates the computer can't detect the primary clutch motor (for gears 1-3-5). Check that the wiring for the motor is good, then realize that just that motor is just over $600 to replace. If possible, see if that motor can be switched out from the 2012 to the 2013, but at the same time, you will have to run the re-learn program somehow. A dealer trip.

In the meantime, use manual shift mode and start in gear 2 and use only the even gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.