Veloster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2013 dual clutch automatic
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tl;dr - transmission needs replacing in my 2013 1.6L DCT (base automatic dual clutch, non-turbo, to be clear). Would a trans from a 2012 work as a replacement?

Hello all. Total newbie here. Been following these forums for ages but finally need to ask for help. BACK STORY: my 2013 needed a new quarter/rocker panel, bumper, a couple other body parts. I lucked out when a buddy of mine totaled his 2012 and got to keep it. The 2012 has no mechanical issues, just body damage on one side. I bought it off him, did all the body work on my 2013, and drove it 40 miles round-trip to get it checked out by a buddy who does paint. (No mechanical issues at this point). I take the 2013 home and let it sit for 4 more weeks til time comes to drive it to get painted. Long story short, I get a mile from home on the way to get it painted and the clutch goes out. I鈥檝e troubleshooted in every way possible and read hundreds of pages, talked to mechanics, all seem to think my transmission is no good. My question is - is the 2012 transmission even compatible with my 2013? I see a lot of 13-15 transmissions for sale but nothing indicates that 12-13 transmissions are the same.

Also, my 2013 has 158K miles; the 2012 scrapper I bought has 87K miles.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 馃檹馃徏

Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
Did you get a transmission flush at all before that happened?? Our trans are not the best. I would check with Hyundai about the trans but I think the 2012 is DCT as well so I wouldn't see why not? sorry If I am not much help

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get a transmission flush at all before that happened?? Our trans are not the best. I would check with Hyundai about the trans but I think the 2012 is DCT as well so I wouldn't see why not? sorry If I am not much help
No transmission flush beforehand - I know, so dumb. In specific I have a CEL code P0900 which is for the odd clutch actuator motor/open circuit. I can鈥檛 prove it but I have a feeling this is from welding on that quarter panel, even though I disconnected the negative terminal while doing so. The 2012 is also a DCT and has the exact same engine as the 2013, but what I鈥檓 getting (vaguely) is the 2013-2016 transmissions are the same, but for some reason not the 2012s. But, if the engines are the same (and the clutch) ... shouldn鈥檛 the transmissions at least be compatible?
Another option I have is to just replace the clutch, probably the flywheel while I鈥檓 at it, but frankly a whole transmission swap is simpler than a clutch replacement for someone with limited experience, ya know? I鈥檓 pretty savvy, have the tools, just kinda working blindly for the most part. I appreciate the response buddy.

Registered
2013 Veloster Turbo with resonator and muffler delete
I would call up Hyundai and see what they have to say about the trans. might be a little smaller and might not fit? Good luck tho that sounds like a pain in the butt! AND get a trans flush next time homie! I just got mine done after 100k and shes riding like a top. Trans was kicking back before. From what I am seeing when I look it up, 2012-15 trans are the same?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Hyundai and gave them both VINs for the 2012 and 2013. They looked up exact part numbers and, of course, they are different. (鈥淥ff by one number鈥). As for whether it would still work, the guy wasn鈥檛 sure; he asked another guy and said it wouldn鈥檛 be a precise fit. Yuck. The clutch/clutch actuator parts are the same though - I鈥檒l give it a try to change those out and see how it goes. If I really need to I guess I can try to finance another V with fewer miles (amazing how cheap they are now) and soup it up with the red seats, wheels, bells and whistles I鈥檝e collected between the Velosters I already own 馃槀

Registered
No transmission flush beforehand - I know, so dumb. In specific I have a CEL code P0900 which is for the odd clutch actuator motor/open circuit. I can鈥檛 prove it but I have a feeling this is from welding on that quarter panel, even though I disconnected the negative terminal while doing so. The 2012 is also a DCT and has the exact same engine as the 2013, but what I鈥檓 getting (vaguely) is the 2013-2016 transmissions are the same, but for some reason not the 2012s. But, if the engines are the same (and the clutch) ... shouldn鈥檛 the transmissions at least be compatible?
Another option I have is to just replace the clutch, probably the flywheel while I鈥檓 at it, but frankly a whole transmission swap is simpler than a clutch replacement for someone with limited experience, ya know? I鈥檓 pretty savvy, have the tools, just kinda working blindly for the most part. I appreciate the response buddy.
This isn't the same as changing the clutch on a standard manual. It requires special tooling, careful installation (!) and a dealer computer that can run the "relearn" program.

1: That code indicates the computer can't detect the primary clutch motor (for gears 1-3-5). Check that the wiring for the motor is good, then realize that just that motor is just over $600 to replace. If possible, see if that motor can be switched out from the 2012 to the 2013, but at the same time, you will have to run the re-learn program somehow. A dealer trip.

In the meantime, use manual shift mode and start in gear 2 and use only the even gears.

Registered
Esto no es lo mismo que cambiar el embrague en un manual est谩ndar. Requiere herramientas especiales, una instalaci贸n cuidadosa (!) y una computadora del distribuidor que pueda ejecutar el programa de "reaprendizaje".

1: Ese c贸digo indica que la computadora no puede detectar el motor del embrague primario (para los engranajes 1-3-5). Verifique que el cableado del motor sea bueno, luego tenga en cuenta que solo ese motor cuesta un poco m谩s de $ 600 para reemplazar. Si es posible, vea si ese motor se puede cambiar del 2012 al 2013, pero al mismo tiempo, tendr谩 que ejecutar el programa de reaprendizaje de alguna manera. Un viaje de distribuidor.

Mientras tanto, use el modo de cambio manual y comience en la velocidad 2 y use solo las velocidades pares.
[/COTIZAR]

quetal soy de mexicali veo que conoces del tema electromecanico de las transmisiones de hyundai veloster tengo un problema ma que aca nadie a podra resolver podria darme tu ayuda.

Registered
Tengo problemas con mi Hyundai veloster 2016 dual clutch, le met铆 sonido de audio y al tiempo lo desconecte, al intentar conectarlo de nuevo realiz贸 una chispa en la bater铆a se de antemano que los amplificadores guardan energ铆a por eso lo de la chispa, bueno fue una chispa muy peque帽a pero a ra铆z de eso mi tablero comenz贸 a parpadear y el veh铆culo se brincaba los cambios de velocidad despu茅s dejaba de avanzar alguien q pueda ayudar en mexicali no hay nadie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts