Veloster Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I made the change to 240s on my 2015 VT and what a difference. But there's a bit of odd confusion I'm trying to figure out.

These are not the standard size for the car and the car takes 33PSI for the tires. However my CrossClimate2 are 240s - so would these need to be aired up a bit more to say 34PSI or 35PSI - I know it's a small amount but with gas prices I do try to look over every area to get the best MPG I can.

or is 33PSI with these tires just fine ?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,350 Posts
if you want better mpg air them up.

easiest way to tell what works best, mark the edges of the tires with a paint pen and drive around for a few days. this is what i do on my wife's car, but i am a racer first and a husband second, lol. she wants MPG not grip. the best grip puts the markered up wear edge closest to the end of the tread. not so much the best for MPG, so air up 2 psi or so from there.

you can't use chalk because rain will wash it off.. you will want a marker. on my VT i run the tire aired up until i am toughing the tip of the little triangle. on my wifes car that white mark would be closer to the actual edge of the tire and not the tread edge.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting idea there! I did have them at 38PSI and yes noticed a gas reduction - but my GOD VTs and their crappy shock system (and this is after a full shock and strut upgrade three months ago). It's just rough riding. But maybe I should air them up more. Car recommends 33PSI but with these tires I was curious if maybe, because their a little wider' if they should be at a higher number.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,350 Posts
i run 235/40r17 34psi all day and 38psi for racing.

technically the more the air the less resistance but with more air means more transfer of the road into the cabin.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Higher pressure in the tires will result in better gas mileage, but hardly noticeable with suburban driving, the additional benefit is harder tires will help protect the wheels from pothole damage, which in this era with the roads being a bad as they are, is definitely a benefit. 🙂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts