Veloster Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Wow! Do you live near a mine or something? Never seen anything like that! My NAV is a year and a half old at 8,000 miles, and when I wash it it looks like it just came off the lot. A friend got me some touch up paint but I've had nothing to use it on! Good luck with that issue.
Mine too!!! I have over 20K & only a few chips on the front bumper. I'm always telling myself, dayum Hyundai did a good job with the paint. Guess I got lucky?!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Depends on the road conditions where you live and how close you follow the cars in front of you in my opinion.
I think most of it depends on the eye of the beholder. I personally wouldn't believe that a Veloster with a reasonable number of miles wouldn't have it's share of chips. But, not everyone notices it the same way. When I started out in restoration, I remember my mentor showing me all the things wrong with my car and saying, "Soon, you'll see everything and you'll wish you didn't." He wasn't kidding. That's why a good paint job can run $10k. It's not the paint that's expensive, it's the labor it takes to get it looking perfect.

White is very forgiving and hides a lot of paint imperfections. The disadvantage is that it doesn't give a sexy gleam like a black, red, or dark blue. But, you don't have to worry as much about clear coat imperfections, waxing, etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Depends on the road conditions where you live and how close you follow the cars in front of you in my opinion.
Our roads aren't the greatest. I've seen worse though. And no, I don't follow closely and always avoid being behind/beside large trucks if possible. We had a rough winter this year. Other than that, I can't explain it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
I do not about others but, once I tried to remove some super light swirls by hand with Orange Euro polish applicator and Meguaire Ultimate Compound. Oh boy, I thought my hands gonna fell off, but swirls didn't move a bit. Some cars know for a scratch "resistant" clear coat or a.k.a hard paint, I assume V has one. This is my experience 2x on my blue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't count on it ,I had mine done and all the paint and rocker guard from the edge of the rocker to 3" below is completely gone and starting to rust at only 28k and 20 months. All the top still looks great . If you protest long and persistent the dealer should at least cover part under goodwill. I am waiting on my full claim . Tried to post pics but not having any luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
As I was scrolling down through this thread I was wondering...haven't any of these folks complaining about paint chips heard of clear bras, vinyl wraps, etc. for the frontal areas of their V? I won't enter into the claim or debate about Hyundai's paint quality, but regardless, there's a preventative measure that can be pursued. In the Pacific NW, there are logging trucks aplenty on the roads throwing gravel from their treads and chunks of bark off their loads. In addition, locals are blessed with an absence of applied salt but cursed with a very damaging application of coarsely crushed basalt that functions like tiny razor blades on the leading edges of vehicles during snowfalls. My V has a nick or two, but nothing compared to what I would have experienced without the clear bra installation. A good investment that lets you sleep well at night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
Figured I would throw my two cents in on this thread. I recently purchased a 2013 Black Veloster and I have been having similar problems with the paint. First of all, the clear coat is very cheap because this thing scratches from anything that touches it. My tint guy rubbed up against the rear bumper while tinting the rear window and the scratches that were left on the bumper from his sweatpants rubbing on it looked as if someone had rear-ended me. I have had it back to the dealership twice now to fix the minor scratches due to the poor clear coat on the vehicle and I have only owned it for two months now. To the owners of the white velosters, I have owned a 2011 white sonata and I had similar problems with the paint. I live in North Eastern Ohio so the little orange spots all over the paint are due to salt flinging up and nicking little spots in the paint. Any little nicks and scratches from rocks or salt will produce little rust spots all over the vehicle in the winter time and as oxidation occurs. That is why I will never own a white vehicle as long as I am living in an area with snow. Going back to my black veloster, I love the look of it, especially with the appearance package and 5% tinted windows but it will be hard for me to won another black vehicle again because literally every little scratch and scuff is very noticeable.
I just purchased a 2013 Veloster in March and it had 63000 miles on it. It had some previous damage to a rear fender but it wasn't noticeable when I purchased. My car was stolen and then wrecked because the kids didn't know how to drive a manual. It ended up with some small dents in the passenger door and a chip in the paint. I didn't have it taken care of immediately and I am sorry now that I didn't. The paint on the passenger side started peeling off in sheets about 2 weeks afterwards. I have never seen that in a paint job, that it just fails completely. The paint comes off of the body as if it had never adhered to the body in any way. I don't know about a clear coat issue, mine seems to be a primer issue.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
you never mentioned the color. white is notorious for peeling off hyundais.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts