Veloster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's what it looks like. Some of it is legitimately dirt from driving it today but you can see it's speckled black and even some rust spots and a couple chips. I was talking to someone else about it today and they also suggested the clay bar for the rust and the black on the front bumper and said it may just be imperfections in the clear coat and not the actual plastic of the bumper I'm seeing. I'm really hoping that's the case. I love my car and don't want a reason to hate it. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
That's exactly what mine looks like. I think I'm going to order some of that touch up paint. Every time I start to clay bar mine I give up. I have almost the whole hood and hatch done though haha.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Here's what it looks like. Some of it is legitimately dirt from driving it today but you can see it's speckled black and even some rust spots and a couple chips. I was talking to someone else about it today and they also suggested the clay bar for the rust and the black on the front bumper and said it may just be imperfections in the clear coat and not the actual plastic of the bumper I'm seeing. I'm really hoping that's the case. I love my car and don't want a reason to hate it. :)

I feel you on this one. Have you guys tried layering it with wax or sealants? Mine hasn't gone through it yet. It only has around 3500 miles at the moment.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I feel you on this one. Have you guys tried layering it with wax or sealants? Mine hasn't gone through it yet. It only has around 3500 miles at the moment.
I haven't had the chance too. After the first wash I noticed it and I haven't claybarrd the whole vehicle yet. It's a lot of freaking work. I have never had a brand new car with new paint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's exactly what mine looks like. I think I'm going to order some of that touch up paint. Every time I start to clay bar mine I give up. I have almost the whole hood and hatch done though haha.
The bf ordered me a Dr. Colorchip kit and we are going to try that then layer the **** out of it with wax and sealant. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm going to order mine asap. I have a car show to go to next month! Where did he order yours from?
www.drcolorchip.com

We got the "squirt 'n squeegee paint chip repair kit." My bf used their regular paint chip repair kit on his A4 and it worked really well. Didn't just look like he slapped some nail polish on it.

·
Registered
2015 VT Manual
625 Posts
Here's what it looks like. Some of it is legitimately dirt from driving it today but you can see it's speckled black and even some rust spots and a couple chips. I was talking to someone else about it today and they also suggested the clay bar for the rust and the black on the front bumper and said it may just be imperfections in the clear coat and not the actual plastic of the bumper I'm seeing.
If you have that much metal embedded in your paint, you may want to try a product called Iron-X which dissolves it. This would be done prior to the clay bar, otherwise what you'd end up doing is dragging those metal particles over the paint and scratching it.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts

Wow! That pic should have accompanied your first post on this. Did you buy this new or used? I'm not sure either way I'd be satisfied with taking care of this on my own. But I am not sure I know from this picture exactly where this is on the car -- I looked at my car and nothing on the front of my car under the chrome looks like this. ???

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
^^Okay -- I see you have a 2013 remix^^ Hyundai should be replacing that paint finish -- that has to be covered.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've got plenty of chips in my paint as well. I feel better that I am not the only one. I have a huge chunk missing on the bottom grille...I also have them above my window shield and a few around the doors. It doesn't help that this past winter was pretty brutal here.
I don't mind the chips as much...compared to the key scratch I've got along the entire passenger side.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Heres a pic of mine. Not as bad as the pic posted above clearly, Im at 37,000 kms. It pretty much like that across my whole front end. The big one was obviously a larger rock.I honestly feel like I could pick out a piece of paint with my fingernail, it feels pretty soft, maybe its just the plastic underneath is softer... who knows..

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you have that much metal embedded in your paint, you may want to try a product called Iron-X which dissolves it. This would be done prior to the clay bar, otherwise what you'd end up doing is dragging those metal particles over the paint and scratching it.
I'm going to try this, whenever I bar it I feel like I'm rubbing all the crap I'm taking off on to the paint. Next time I buy another car I will think twice about white. It has been a pain in my rear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm going to try this, whenever I bar it I feel like I'm rubbing all the crap I'm taking off on to the paint. Next time I buy another car I will think twice about white. It has been a pain in my rear.
Yeah I hear ya... If I thought about how noticeable the chips would be or knew the plastic underneath was BLACK I would have bought a Blue or Black VT.. Its REALLY disappointing to know I will have to repaint the front end in a year or two.
I didn't know the 3m stuff would cover the whole front end, I though it was the lower portion of the hood only. I at least could have bought that right off the hop. Im looking at getting one now, but there is already some damage, but better late than never I guess...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah I hear ya... If I thought about how noticeable the chips would be or knew the plastic underneath was BLACK I would have bought a Blue or Black VT.. Its REALLY disappointing to know I will have to repaint the front end in a year or two.
I didn't know the 3m stuff would cover the whole front end, I though it was the lower portion of the hood only. I at least could have bought that right off the hop. Im looking at getting one now, but there is already some damage, but better late than never I guess...
I want to dip mine in this satin purple that I seen on a Tahoe. I just have to convince my hubs. But that will help protect the paint!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did a full exterior detail on my 2012 26.2 Yellow Veloster this past weekend. My car has 40,000 miles on it , all highway miles and a majority of those miles were put on this winter. I have a clear bra and hood protector that I applied myself, and boy did it save the front bumper. My "center" of the bumper is wrapped in black vinyl and it took a beating, but the bra still looks good. No sandblasting or chips like the others. I highly recommend one of these if you plan on driving a lot on the highway or in the winter. The rest of the car has minimal chips as well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I thought about those but ultimately decided against because it's a matter of, "what looks worse?" Shiny paint with some ships in it or an odd film that doesn't look as good as bare paint, but has no chips? I decided I'd rather just use touch-up paints once in a while.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow! Do you live near a mine or something? Never seen anything like that! My NAV is a year and a half old at 8,000 miles, and when I wash it it looks like it just came off the lot. A friend got me some touch up paint but I've had nothing to use it on! Good luck with that issue.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts