Veloster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I washed the Velo today and noticed some disturbing things with the paint. Since it's white, you can see every little thing wrong with it. First thing is it has little rust spots ALL over it. I did go back and search through some old threads though and read that it is probably from the brakes. So I feel a little better about that. Second, the paint seems to chip quite easily. PA has bad weather and roads though, so it is what it is I guess. Third, and my biggest issue, the front bumper and front lip have road rash like crazy. I've had the car less than a year and it only has 6k miles on it. It literally looks like they put one thin coat of paint on it. I feel like it will have no paint left on it in another year. Anyone else have this issue with the front?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
My suggestion is go to the dealer and order some matching touch-up paint. I only cost about $10 and as you see already it will come in good use. I also have a white v and have the same issues you are having.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
So I washed the Velo today and noticed some disturbing things with the paint. Since it's white, you can see every little thing wrong with it. First thing is it has little rust spots ALL over it. I did go back and search through some old threads though and read that it is probably from the brakes. So I feel a little better about that. Second, the paint seems to chip quite easily. PA has bad weather and roads though, so it is what it is I guess. Third, and my biggest issue, the front bumper and front lip have road rash like crazy. I've had the car less than a year and it only has 6k miles on it. It literally looks like they put one thin coat of paint on it. I feel like it will have no paint left on it in another year. Anyone else have this issue with the front?

Just curious -- do you know anyone else with new cars who you can compare paint finishes with? I kind of think out of all the possible cars we could have bought that only the Veloster has this problem -- what do you think? If it's happening to the Veloster, it's happening to other cars, too. I know that I am my own personal microscope when I look at the surface of my Veloster -- but I know that I don't put that same intensity into anyone else's car -- unless it's another Veloster.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 3 yr old white H3 with around 60k miles when I traded it in and the paint was in better condition than the V. I realize the H3 was a more expensive vehicle, but the V only has 6k miles. Something's not right about that.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I had a 3 yr old white H3 with around 60k miles when I traded it in and the paint was in better condition than the V. I realize the H3 was a more expensive vehicle, but the V only has 6k miles. Something's not right about that.

Then you need to see your dealership. No one here can change that.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I know your original question was about chips to the front. 15,000 miles and I have a couple that I could either buy nail polish or get some touch up from the dealership (neither of which I have done because it is minimal). My driving situation is mostly street and not highway so I suspect I don't see the front end dings that others experience.

khulsey -- any pics you can share? Seeing is believing!

·
Registered
324 Posts
My VT has 1200 miles on it and a chip on the front bumper cover. That's what happens when you drive cars instead of park them and look at them. H3 compared to V has different angles, different profile, different exposed paint, different wind patterns... My 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 had a lot more road rash on the front of it at 100k miles than my 1999 Pathfinder did at 170k. It didn't necessarily mean my Pathfinder had better paint.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, the paint is crappy. I've seen dozens of Veloster owners report it. Ours had chips when I bought it, my friend's white VT has quite a few at 3kmi, and I can't even tell you how riddled my brother's 70kmi Sonata is. Hyundai uses a thin, brittle color and clear coats that just chip away when a tiny pebble hits them. A good clear is meant to protect the paint, not just chip off. I've defended Hyundai in many ways but there's no getting around this one. The paint is low quality. And, I say that as someone who used to paint cars professionally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My VT has 1200 miles on it and a chip on the front bumper cover. That's what happens when you drive cars instead of park them and look at them. H3 compared to V has different angles, different profile, different exposed paint, different wind patterns... My 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 had a lot more road rash on the front of it at 100k miles than my 1999 Pathfinder did at 170k. It didn't necessarily mean my Pathfinder had better paint.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing after I posted that with the Veloster vs. the H3. However, I still think it's due to a poor paint job. I'm on the highway for maybe 20 min a day total and only during the week. It shouldn't look the way it does, in my opinion. I can overlook the larger chips and chalk them up to highway driving but the way the paint is just being eaten away on the front bumper seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I'll post pictures later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,
Figured I would throw my two cents in on this thread. I recently purchased a 2013 Black Veloster and I have been having similar problems with the paint. First of all, the clear coat is very cheap because this thing scratches from anything that touches it. My tint guy rubbed up against the rear bumper while tinting the rear window and the scratches that were left on the bumper from his sweatpants rubbing on it looked as if someone had rear-ended me. I have had it back to the dealership twice now to fix the minor scratches due to the poor clear coat on the vehicle and I have only owned it for two months now. To the owners of the white velosters, I have owned a 2011 white sonata and I had similar problems with the paint. I live in North Eastern Ohio so the little orange spots all over the paint are due to salt flinging up and nicking little spots in the paint. Any little nicks and scratches from rocks or salt will produce little rust spots all over the vehicle in the winter time and as oxidation occurs. That is why I will never own a white vehicle as long as I am living in an area with snow. Going back to my black veloster, I love the look of it, especially with the appearance package and 5% tinted windows but it will be hard for me to won another black vehicle again because literally every little scratch and scuff is very noticeable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Light Grey Pearl TurboV and have the same issues. I have about 4-5 nicks in the front bumper. The worst part is that the plastic underneath is black so you can notice them pretty easily.
I also have a rock chip just above my windshield, and in front of my rear driver side wheel. I bought a touch up pen to get them all looked after.
I drive on the highway alot though so while it does suck its a part of life up here.

I also have the little rust flecks everywhere around the wheels. I assume this is from brake dust as it does come off completely with a detail job. I can`t imagine that this are hundreds of actual rust spots, that would mean I need a repaint now.... Which would be insane.

I bought the rust protection which is useless really, I mentioned rust to the dealer and they told me even with the rust protection, rock chips or road wear is not covered. It has to form UNDER the paint and bubble up, or be a clear manufacturing error. ..... When purchasing the car they had said it was for ANY rust whatsoever...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing after I posted that with the Veloster vs. the H3. However, I still think it's due to a poor paint job. I'm on the highway for maybe 20 min a day total and only during the week. It shouldn't look the way it does, in my opinion. I can overlook the larger chips and chalk them up to highway driving but the way the paint is just being eaten away on the front bumper seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I'll post pictures later.

Best paint protection your gonna find is the clear film applications. I used this company Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films I have 61k on my V and it's been thru 3 north east winters. Where I have the film protection the paint is fine where I don't is when I notice the "sandblasting" effect the road salt/sand have taken on my car. It's normal wear & tear and I wouldn't blame it on the "crappy paint"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts