Veloster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So I'm hopefully going to be in the market for a car come a month or so. Currently I drive an E46 320i with a slew of minor issues (but still completely driveable). Currently I'm considering between potentially the Focus Turbo, Golf (not sure which is the sportiest badge yet) and the Veloster. 2nd hand.

I've driven the NA Veloster before a few times as loan cars while traveling interstate on work and quite liked it. As I want some performance - I'm considering the Turbo. Is there enough difference in performance to consider the extra cost?

What issues should I be looking for when inspecting cars? How many KM for the major service?

What is the upkeep like, especially for those of us living in Melbs?

Thankies!
Cil

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not an Aussie but here are my 0.02
Get a turbo whenever you can, here the price difference between nav and vt is astronomical because of mindset mainly.
In normal car orientated countries you shouldn't even consider the nav.

I heard that a nav could maybe get 170 hp on full bolt ons and I am about to find out in 2 months ish.
But that's already standard turbo territory.

As for maintenance schedules you can find them online.
Personally I like to do a big service whenever I buy a used car from a private add.
This will make sure you have a good car.
It's not unusual for a used car to have defects so better take care of it right away
Depends a bit on the mileage tho.
If you can do this yourself it'll save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all! So I'm hopefully going to be in the market for a car come a month or so. Currently I drive an E46 320i with a slew of minor issues (but still completely driveable). Currently I'm considering between potentially the Focus Turbo, Golf (not sure which is the sportiest badge yet) and the Veloster. 2nd hand.

I've driven the NA Veloster before a few times as loan cars while traveling interstate on work and quite liked it. As I want some performance - I'm considering the Turbo. Is there enough difference in performance to consider the extra cost?

What issues should I be looking for when inspecting cars? How many KM for the major service?

What is the upkeep like, especially for those of us living in Melbs?

Thankies!
Cil
I have both the NAV and Turbo. Get the turbo. Let's put it this way. Our NAV,132hp.Turbo,201hp. Much more tq also.. the difference in power feel between them is wow! Factor. Now as a turbo owner and having a tune and bolton's, and get to say wow! Again. So get the turbo.

·
weekend racer
7,211 Posts
my factory freak tuned NAV with mild bolt ons couldn't touch my stock turbo. that being said, my NAV would easily pull away from any other NAV i lined up with. (check out my signature)

if i did not need a car immediately at the time i would have waited 2 more years for a turbo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my factory freak tuned NAV with mild bolt ons couldn't touch my stock turbo. that being said, my NAV would easily pull away from any other NAV i lined up with. (check out my signature)

if i did not need a car immediately at the time i would have waited 2 more years for a turbo.
The nav is really not a bad car and maybe gets a bad rep more than it needs.
But getting it to drive with a little bit of oomph just takes too much money.
So far I spent at least 500 dollar's on mods and haven't even installed anything.
To get where I want the car it's prolly going to take at least another 1500.

If you just want a comfy car a nav is perfect but an enthusiast will want more soon enough

On the other hand there are people who like working on a car more than driving it haha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The nav is really not a bad car and maybe gets a bad rep more than it needs.
But getting it to drive with a little bit of oomph just takes too much money.
So far I spent at least 500 dollar's on mods and haven't even installed anything.
To get where I want the car it's prolly going to take at least another 1500.

If you just want a comfy car a nav is perfect but an enthusiast will want more soon enough

On the other hand there are people who like working on a car more than driving it haha.
Yes you are correct. I enjoy driving my girlfriends NAV and it's a little quicker just off the line then my standard shift turbo R Spec without being dramatic,lol. Handles the same basically. It's only when I'm going 70mph plus that I want more power.other than that it's just as good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all :) What about maintenance and upkeep? How do those factor in? The 320i is proving to be a handful in that regard and being what it is, costs are stupidly high.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks all /forum/images/smilies/smile.png What about maintenance and upkeep? How do those factor in? The 320i is proving to be a handful in that regard and being what it is, costs are stupidly high.
As far as I've Seen maintenance is easy and even for diy there is enough room in the engine bay to also be able to do it.
Example given:
-The oil filter is actually in on of the best spots.
-Alternator is in the best location.
-Water pump is accesible easily.

I had plenty of cars where this wasn't the case and you'd be better off having it done by a mechanic.

Parts are pretty cheap for my nav but keep in mind that It doesn't have a turbo that can **** the bed.
Ebay also has oodles of small maintenance parts like the cabin filter, water pumps, etc

Really gets a 10/10 from me as far as modern fwd cars go

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maintenance is pretty negligible on the Veloster. Keep up on the service schedule and she should last a while.

I was between the golf and the veloster, and I ended up with the veloster. I don't have the turbo version, but I'm happy as a clam, unless the 2019 wows me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
tl:dr If you don't mod and don't care about power, get an NA, otherwise get an SR. Cheaper than a Focus RS and Golf GTI.

Being in Australia, BMW parts would cost a premium since they would all have to be imported from Europe and hugely overcharged. Hyundai is pretty well embedded in Australian society so stock OEM parts are a lot less difficult to come by and both extremely well priced and easily available, for the most part (I once had to wait for new OEM wiper blades from Korea, took a couple weeks). The Ford Focus RS is a great car but over here last I checked it was the best part of $60 grand new. Second hand, I found the cheapest to be $41k with 17,000 km on it but most were middle 40s to early 50s. VW Golf? Similarly powered would have to be a GTI or R and a 4 year old version would still go for at least $30k second hand.

Buying the NA Veloster which you've driven before, you may find over time it's lack of power frustrating you so consider paying extra for a Turbo. 2014-2016 SRs are going for around $20k these days. Retail I think they're around $33k for a 2018 model. Not sure about the revamped 2019 styling and engine updated model's cost though. Second hand NA Velosters are going for as little as $15k if you look around.

Aftermarket parts to mod your Veloster? Assuming it's something you want to do the SR will give you more bang for buck than the NA though a lot of parts are interchangeable between both models, like suspension and bracing. Brakes, intake and exhaust among others are model specific though. There are almost no Australian resellers or workshops that specialize in Velosters or aftermarket parts so you will have to source them from overseas, usually Korea or the US.

I know of about 15 or more businesses that sell aftermarket stuff for Velosters and have done business with about 6 of them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Also just thought about this but if you can afford to wait soon all the gen 1 velosters will be cheap as chips with the gen 2 coming out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts